Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In 2023, who's making the best all-weather, all-season tires for the Tesla Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I am looking to get rid of two sets of 20-inch wheels I have (one with dedicated summer tires and the other with dedicated winter tires) and go all-in on some lightweight 18-inch wheels with all-season, all-weather tires.

I know, I know: It'd be best to have separate winter and summer tires.

But I'm seeking the better efficiency and lower cost of running 18s and not paying for tire swaps twice a year.

In 2023, who's making the best all-weather, all-season tires for the Tesla Model 3?

A lot of the information I've found in this forum and otherwise online is now out of date, because tire manufactures keep coming out with new lines, and changing the names of old lines.

For reference, I live in the Pacific Northwest (PNW). Think mild summers and mild winters, but 6 months of rain and also some weekend ice and snow when my son and I head up into the mountains for skiing and snowboarding.

Thank you for any thoughts you have.

My friend in Portland is running the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and says you can't beat the traction in almost any weather, the drawback is a loss of efficiency.

Edit: It may be a wash when compared to the average between summer and winter tires on 20s.

I'm in the market for new tires too.

I have 22K miles on the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 which need to be replaced. I have a M3 AWD LR and I live in NE Ohio where in the past we had way more snow but we do get a bit of rain.

For general dry conditions driving the Michelin were fine, in the snow they were just Ok. On Tire Rack the Michelin tires are $400. more and the reviews I've read are mixed. TR lists: Noise Reduction Technology and Electric Vehicle Tuned - not sure what Electric Vehicle Tuned means. The Conti ExtremeContact™ DWS06+ have no such designation... but a few here on this thread seem to like them.

So.. I'm uncertain as to which tires to buy. Any more thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks.

If I went to tire rack it would be the Pirelli Elect. They have a better wet rating than the MXM4 and ION Evo.

I just bought Goodyear ElectricDriveGTs since I got a 25% off. If the efficiency is close to MXM4 with better wet/dry grip, I will be happy. They come at 10/32" tread depth vice the MXM4 8/32", so they should last longer as well.

Good luck!

Reactions: Patrick_TX
I would probably try the Pirelli Elect (but see my last statement).

The ElectricDriveGTs were loud during break-in, but I did install them and do a road trip 2 days later (no alignment, car was aligned in March 2023, new tires June 2023). They have quieted down and are fine now. As I get closer to 1000 miles, the efficiency is starting to come down, as expected with new tires. If you are into the whole made in the US thing, they are one of the few tires still made here.

For now, I am going to believe the "hype" that tires designed for electric cars will be easier on the ears. Efficiency is still a high priority but wet grip is important to me as well. So I am going to continue to look at EV focused tires with a mininum AA Traction Rating.

If you take out the cost, the Pilot Sports would probably provide the most grip, wet or dry. They would just wear out more quickly and cost more to run. I expect to run 25k miles a year. I hope these Goodyears last close to their warranty mileage of 40k miles. If at that time I still get the 25% discount I will buy them again. If not, I will look at the Pirelli and hopefully Bridgestone will have 18s by then.

Reactions: Patrick_TX
@micromano - When it was time to replace the 18” OEM tires on my 2018 Model 3 I bought Michelin CrossClimate2 “All Weather“ Tires. They have better ice and snow traction than normal “all season” tires, and they have the winter ”peak and snowflake” logo. Dry traction is also good, better than winter tires. Probably good in the rain, you can look that up if interested. Tire Rack . Com is a good source of non-biased info. They are not LLR tires, and range take a bit of a hit, maybe 10 miles or so. That has not been noticible to me, and I am quite happy with how they drive, winter and summer.

Good Luck with your purchase,

GSP

Reactions: micromano
I bought the Bridgestone Turanza EV AS last week. They are terrible.

- Severe understeer, especially over 60 mph.
- notice loss of range, I noticed 20-25% more battery was used for a recent trip compared to old tires
- too narrow for model 3 19 inch wheel, almost a 1/4 inch of the wheel is exposed

returned back to Costco

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I bought the Bridgestone Turanza EV AS last week. They are terrible.

- Severe understeer, especially over 60 mph.
- notice loss of range, I noticed 20-25% more battery was used for a recent trip compared to old tires
- too narrow for model 3 19 inch wheel, almost a 1/4 inch of the wheel is exposed

returned back to Costco
Why not the proven Mich Pilot Sport 4 or Hankook EVO ION?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Hankcook makes SUV and non SUV options for the EVO ION. Their warranty is 50K.
1699905376663.png

If you are willing to take the efficiency hit, the Michelin Cross Climate 2 gets good reviews for non-winter performance and is ok in light snow conditions. It is an all-season tire with the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake that is usually seen on winter tires.

If efficiency is highly important, you would mainly be looking at the OEM tires (Michelin Primacy MXM4 T1 or Hankook Kinergy GT or whatever else Tesla may choose) or some of the dedicated "EV" tires (Hankook ION EVO AS, Pirelli PZero ELECT, etc.).