Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OEM Tires vs Summer vs Winter vs All-Weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, w/Standard 18" wheels. 235/45 R18.

My Model 3 remains the best vehicle I have ever owned... so this is in no way a complaint. But I confess to being a little bit surprised last March, at the one-year mark, when the Tesla Service Center (where I had gone to get Virginia's required annual safety inspection) noted "Advise customer to start considering tire replacement" on the ticket. My Model 3 had 14,229 miles on it. Might be that my 1/4-mile-long gravel driveway - which translates into 1/2-mile of gravel road travel every day - has something to do with it.

Fast forward six months and I'm now at 21,000 miles and change. Time for new tires.

A few questions for those of you who have already been down this path...

The OEM tires that came on the vehicle are Michelin "Green." Can I assume that these are "summer" tires?

Can someone describe the puts and takes between "summer," "winter," and "all-weather" tires? Can I assume that the major difference between them is the amount and depth of siping? And can I assume that "summer" tires are going to be the most quiet and efficient (in terms of Wh/mi), followed by "all-weather" tires, with "winter" tires being the worst in terms of noise, drivability, and efficiency?

Living in the mid-Atlantic, we don't receive enough snow that I would need "winter" tires. But between "summer" and "all-weather" I would love to better understand the choices.

Finally, when perusing tires, is there a way to tell those that have the foam layer inside vs. those that don't?

I have an appointment in a week at the Tesla Service Center and my expectation is/was to simply get four new OEM tires, such as are currently on the vehicle. But if there's another good choice out there - particularly if it might afford better longevity - I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for any advice...

The main purpose of a tire is to grip and the first limitation is temperature. The hotter it gets the more flatter, the more thread less, the more softer you can make the tire. That's why summer tires have less thread and wear out faster. And why drag cars have no thread.

The second limitation is mechanical dynamics. And that is the direction of the force applied to the tire. The more directional dimension, the more complex lines and thread patten you need. That's why off road tires have big threads and drag cars have none.

After that, there are other factors. Getting rid of water, noise, comfort, etc.

And that's why all season tires are good. Because although not specialized in a narrow field of operation, they offer moderate performance for many field of operation instead of one.