Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which tires *exactly* are on the Tesla Model 3 Winter Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They come with PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3, but these tires come in a 94V or 98V XL rating. Which does Tesla sell?

My model 3 came with a standard capacity 94V all season with a max load rating of 1477, but I'm wondering precisely which of the two comes on the winter package (tesla doesn't specify). I need winter tires and I can nab a set of four off tire rack for $550-700+ship vs $1900 for the winter set from Tesla (tires, rims, tpms). I've decided just to swap out each season at $120 per swap, as it sounds like these tires are going to be worn out after one season anyway (4k miles/month).

That said it sounds like there is another variant of these that may be tesla-specifc, with the internal foam but anyway...

They come with PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO 3, but these tires come in a 94V or 98V XL rating. Which does Tesla sell?

It's 92, per pics on Tesla's web site.
But it doesn't really matter. All of the above 92 (1,389 lbs), 94V (1,477 lbs) and 98V (1,653 lbs) are way in excess of what any corner of Model 3 (4,100 lbs for the heaviest configuration) will ever see.

My model 3 came with a standard capacity 94V all season with a max load rating of 1477, but I'm wondering precisely which of the two comes on the winter package (tesla doesn't specify). I need winter tires and I can nab a set of four off tire rack for $550-700+ship vs $1900 for the winter set from Tesla (tires, rims, tpms).

You should be perfectly safe with any of the above load ratings. Frankly, anything above 90 will be more than enough, with a 20% extra margin to boot:

I've decided just to swap out each season at $120 per swap, as it sounds like these tires are going to be worn out after one season anyway (4k miles/month).

Do whatever you like, but your wheels will get nicked during each tire swap cycle.
When traveling down this road a few years back, I decided to order a set of cheap 18" winter wheels off TireRack. Wheels were $746.92 for the set.
I just looked, and they got cheaper still, with a set going for $604.04 now.

At $240 / season (+ tax) for the swaps (ignoring the wear and tear on the wheels), the break-even would be at ~2.5 years.
Not accounting for the time to travel and swap the wheels and tires 2x/year vs. having set ready to go on whenever you feel like it.

That said it sounds like there is another variant of these that may be tesla-specifc, with the internal foam but anyway...

Try to ditch the foam tires.
They are heavier, pricier, harder to balance right, and harder/impossible to seal after a puncture.
Basically, you pay for extra headaches.

HTH,
a

It's 92, per pics on Tesla's web site.
But it doesn't really matter. All of the above 92 (1,389 lbs), 94V (1,477 lbs) and 98V (1,653 lbs) are way in excess of what any corner of Model 3 (4,100 lbs for the heaviest configuration) will ever see.

You should be perfectly safe with any of the above load ratings. Frankly, anything above 90 will be more than enough, with a 20% extra margin to boot:

Do whatever you like, but your wheels will get nicked during each tire swap cycle.
When traveling down this road a few years back, I decided to order a set of cheap 18" winter wheels off TireRack. Wheels were $746.92 for the set.
I just looked, and they got cheaper still, with a set going for $604.04 now.

At $240 / season (+ tax) for the swaps (ignoring the wear and tear on the wheels), the break-even would be at ~2.5 years.
Not accounting for the time to travel and swap the wheels and tires 2x/year vs. having set ready to go on whenever you feel like it.

Try to ditch the foam tires.
They are heavier, pricier, harder to balance right, and harder/impossible to seal after a puncture.
Basically, you pay for extra headaches.

HTH,
a
Very thorough response. Two thumbs up 😍

For what it's worth I'm getting these tires off today and back to the all seasons. We had the warmest winter here since records started in the 1800's. That said, we did have a few times in slush and snow (and obviously these work better in cold temps) and I was quite impressed. The RWD Model 3 with winters did pretty well.

I lived in Denver for 14-years and never used Winter Tires. A set of All Seasons with good tread was all I needed. I did, however, keep a set of chains in the car - just in case. I used them once in 14-years to get out of my development, then took them off.