Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires for a 2023 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
Just wondering about winter tire options for a new 2023 Model 3 LR. I’ve been looking at the winter tire package offered by Tesla. In includes a set of Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3. Are these good tires for an area that gets lots of deep snow and the occasional ice storm? Thanks in advance!

Hello,
Just wondering about winter tire options for a new 2023 Model 3 LR. I’ve been looking at the winter tire package offered by Tesla. In includes a set of Pirelli WINTER SOTTOZERO 3. Are these good tires for an area that gets lots of deep snow and the occasional ice storm? Thanks in advance!
There are numerous threads and posts here if you have some time to peruse. I plan on getting Vredestein tires for the winter up here in the Northeast. From what I’ve read about the Pirellis they are good performance tires for winter, but not great at handling snow. Two other tires I have considered are the Michelin X Ice and the Hakkapeliittas by Nokian.

Hello,
The price for the 18" package ($2570) seems to be good for someone who is okay with the Pirelli tires, Tesla wheels, etc. Starting with the $2570 less $1273 (for the Pirellis from Black Circles website), less $520 for sensors (from Tesla), less $140 for Aero covers (from Tesla) leaves $637 for the wheels or $159 each. That price for the Tesla wheels seems to be a great deal.

Reactions: EatsShoots
The Sottozero 3 is not the ideal choice for deep snow and occasional ice. I have the Tesla winter setup with the Sottozeros on order for my driving in the Pacific Northwest, which includes frequent rain, occasional plowed snow, and occasional ice. The Sottozeros should handle well on dry roads too.

But, reviews seem to indicate they are not good on ice. Tire designs that perform well on ice are usually not good in rain (and vice versa).

My first choice for your driving would be the Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Michelin X-Ice & Blizzaks are two other possible choices.

Consumer Reports has a great winter tire comparison, as does @tyrereviews on Youtube.

The Nokians are great in crappy Michigan winter weather. We drove our M3LR up to Ice Fest in Munising this past February without issue. As everyone knows, the most dangerous part of ice climbing in Michigan is the drive up there!

I’m actually selling my 18” winter wheels (235/45R18 Hakka R3s) to use 225/45R19 R5s (got a great deal on the latter, too lazy to change my rotors). I plan to sell locally since shipping would be ruinous, though.