Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

disproportionate inner tire wear on single tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Question at the bottom, thanks in advance for reading! )

Car is a 2021 Model 3 AWD, currently at 28.6k miles.
A few months ago I got my alignment checked (around 26.5k miles) as I noticed inner tire wear on all 4 tires with the rear left tire being showing more inner tire wear than the others. I assumed it was because the rear left tire had more positive toe (0.30) vs the rear right (0.20). (The fronts had negative toe (-0.08 on the left, and -0.02 on the right, but I believe the inner tire wear here was mostly from when they were in the rear prior to rotation over a year prior). Also, the caster and camber for all 4 were essentially normal.

Anyhow, at that point I rotated my tires from rear left to front left (and rear right to front right). The most affected tire (previously rear left) is, since 26.5k miles, the front left. Here it is at the time of rotating from rear left to front left (at 26.5k miles):
front left.JPG

And here it is now at 28.6k miles:
front left 2.JPG

As you can see the inner tread is almost completely wiped.
I don't believe there is a reason for the alignment to have changed. Also, the other tires still have a similar appearing inner tread as compared to the prior photos taken at 26.5k miles. Finally, since the initial picture, cold pressures have been equal on all 4 tires, ranging b/w 36-40 psi on average (depending on the outside temperature).

My question is, would this degree of inner tread wear be expected with 2k miles, esp. on just a single tire? If not, is there a way to convince Tesla to inspect the suspension and steering components for free/under warranty, in case there was damage to the ball joint on the front left wheel, for instance?

(P.S. in case you've previously come across it, I do have a post from a few months ago about a mechanic forcefully turning the steering wheel to the left and causing a loud thump, and this was days before the alignment check and tire rotation noted above... not sure if this was harmless or actually is connected to the issue at hand...).

It's the torque. The inner side of the tire has higher torque than the outer side. I've seen this on all EVs. I guess just don't accelerate too hard.

On ICE cars, you can do alignment it'll fix it since they don't have instant torque. But, I don't think it can work with EVs since I've seen them aligned and still the same problem occurs.