Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rumbling noise with balanced wheels and normal alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're on the right track, but I will say the negative camber, unless it's really aggressive (-2 degrees or more) won't wear the inside edge of the tire. If you tried to pull the camber out (which I don't even know if the model 3 suspension has the adjustability to do) you're going to hurt how the car handles in turns. The toe is likely the issue. For example, I have a modified 911 Turbo with about 1.5 degrees of negative camber dialed in and I don't have any inner edge wear at all. but I also added adjustable toe arms to pull the toe out as camber is added.
Got it. And youre right it looks like only the toe can be adjusted for Teslas in general.

Thanks again!

Reactions: vogz
No problem. Unfortunately the only remedy to get rid of the nose is new tires, but I'd want to get down to the cause before I'd buy new tires.
I just went through this entire problem. same issue. same helicopter noise that was a result of wear. for me the wear was slightly uneven in the rears (the tread in the center was more worn), probably over-inflation. Just got new tires installed at 28k miles (my alignment was fine). Noise is gone.

Reactions: Yozer34
I just went through this entire problem. same issue. same helicopter noise that was a result of wear. for me the wear was slightly uneven in the rears (the tread in the center was more worn), probably over-inflation. Just got new tires installed at 28k miles (my alignment was fine). Noise is gone.
Thank you so much for sharing this info. God bless

This is an interesting thread to me.
I have a 22 M3P with the OEM performance wheel and tire set. On rougher asphalt, the tires are quite noisy to me. And along with the noise is a vibration that I can feel throughout the car. When I lower the tire pressure I do get a reduction in this vibration. I did notice a bit more inside wear, similar to that pictured in just two tires. I had rotated front to back, same side. That wear might also be of concern. I have only 16,300 miles on the car and OEM tires. The vibration is subtle but I can feel it in anything I touch in the car. Since I do have the large wheels and performance tires, I figure they will over react to road surfaces. The problem for me is that I'm sensitive to this and it bothers me, at times it bothers me a lot. I have seen long stretches of highway with this rough asphalt and quite a few backroads. I've been treating the car with sound deadening and sound absorbing materials and sealed up the doors better. I keep making progress but it's not enough for me. I measured this sound with a free phone app analyzer and it seems to be low frequency, near 100 hz. Going forward I don't have a lot of options. I've been reading about aftermarket shocks that seem to improve the ride and subjective reports of less highway vibration. That would be a win if true. I've also been told by Tire Rack that all season tires will run quieter. The shocks would be the least expensive as I don't need tires yet. So it's shocks and then tires next?

This is an interesting thread to me.
I have a 22 M3P with the OEM performance wheel and tire set. On rougher asphalt, the tires are quite noisy to me. And along with the noise is a vibration that I can feel throughout the car. When I lower the tire pressure I do get a reduction in this vibration. I did notice a bit more inside wear, similar to that pictured in just two tires. I had rotated front to back, same side. That wear might also be of concern. I have only 16,300 miles on the car and OEM tires. The vibration is subtle but I can feel it in anything I touch in the car. Since I do have the large wheels and performance tires, I figure they will over react to road surfaces. The problem for me is that I'm sensitive to this and it bothers me, at times it bothers me a lot. I have seen long stretches of highway with this rough asphalt and quite a few backroads. I've been treating the car with sound deadening and sound absorbing materials and sealed up the doors better. I keep making progress but it's not enough for me. I measured this sound with a free phone app analyzer and it seems to be low frequency, near 100 hz. Going forward I don't have a lot of options. I've been reading about aftermarket shocks that seem to improve the ride and subjective reports of less highway vibration. That would be a win if true. I've also been told by Tire Rack that all season tires will run quieter. The shocks would be the least expensive as I don't need tires yet. So it's shocks and then tires next?

I just bought a '22 M3 RWD, had new hankook ventus prime 4 tires install on it. tried all sort of pressure 1.9 ............... 3.4 and can't get rit of the helicopter noise. I saw the video and it was like you are driving MY CAR!

It's a car with 16000km (10k miles) on it. I dont want to think about bad bearings, bad brakes. the new tires have been balanced by mechanics. They told me that if any fault that would cause this much discomfort is in the balancing they would notice it and the machine would notice it.

Maybe, just maybe.. these hankook are terrible tires. I mean even on 2.0bar there is all that rumbling *sugar*.

@Yozer34 : your problem solved yet???

Reactions: Georgesb2
I just bought a '22 M3 RWD, had new hankook ventus prime 4 tires install on it. tried all sort of pressure 1.9 ............... 3.4 and can't get rit of the helicopter noise. I saw the video and it was like you are driving MY CAR!

It's a car with 16000km (10k miles) on it. I dont want to think about bad bearings, bad brakes. the new tires have been balanced by mechanics. They told me that if any fault that would cause this much discomfort is in the balancing they would notice it and the machine would notice it.

Maybe, just maybe.. these hankook are terrible tires. I mean even on 2.0bar there is all that rumbling *sugar*.

@Yozer34 : your problem solved yet???
Not yet. I am convinced at this point that the noise is because of the mild feathering on my inner tires from excessive, albeit "within spec", positive toe on my rears (0.30 and 0.20). There definitely is excessive wear on the inner treads.

I'm planning on getting new tires soon so I'll let you know if that fixes it - it likely will.

Not yet. I am convinced at this point that the noise is because of the mild feathering on my inner tires from excessive, albeit "within spec", positive toe on my rears (0.30 and 0.20). There definitely is excessive wear on the inner treads.

I'm planning on getting new tires soon so I'll let you know if that fixes it - it likely will.
Thanks, though I problably will have something done myself before then. Cause I can't deal with it. Hurts my brain. Even with hearing protection on.
My tires must have been making the noise from new, or just the first 500km. So That makes me afraid of you and me having different problems.

I'm gonna check my brakes and if that all checks out then next week I'll be driving another M3RWD for comparison. I will buy new tires if I must. It's a waste of money but yeah. Problems with brakes can produce crazy problems as well. Weird vibrations and stuff. And not only when you apply them.

Thanks, though I problably will have something done myself before then. Cause I can't deal with it. Hurts my brain. Even with hearing protection on.
My tires must have been making the noise from new, or just the first 500km. So That makes me afraid of you and me having different problems.

I'm gonna check my brakes and if that all checks out then next week I'll be driving another M3RWD for comparison. I will buy new tires if I must. It's a waste of money but yeah. Problems with brakes can produce crazy problems as well. Weird vibrations and stuff. And not only when you apply them.
I am by no means an expert, but people have told me to check wheel bearings (even on this thread) quite often. Something else to consider looking into

I have the exact same noise in my M3 Highland, I noticed it a week after I got the car.

I did a wheel balancing and they found some slight deviations that they corrected, but the sound is still there so I thought it is just the tires.

After reading this thread I start to wonder if there is something wrong with the car.

Well folks, i bought a jack and tesla pads myself.

Lifted the car right front first.

The tires almost dances.
The disc sound is not even all the way around.
I hear some bearing.

Lifted left front.
Tire wobbles but less than the right one.
Disc sound uneven also.
Bearing rattle is just terrible.

Gonna upload to youtube.
Try to get a link here ASAP.

Professionals told me TWICE that the wheels are perfect enough.

Havent done the rear yet cause I don't know how .. with the brake and all.

Reactions: Yozer34
I have the exact same noise in my M3 Highland, I noticed it a week after I got the car.

I did a wheel balancing and they found some slight deviations that they corrected, but the sound is still there so I thought it is just the tires.

After reading this thread I start to wonder if there is something wrong with the car.
How is your car doing now?
How are the vibrations in your steering wheel. Feel any even at low speeds from 15mph and up?

I still have the rumbling. But strong vibrations are getting worse and more common. This car I have is nothing like any car I've ever had before. Drives me nuts.
Even on good roads at low speeds (25mph or so whatever )the behavior is like it's on bad concrete road.

My wheel have been double checked and double checked and checked again. Even with roadforce machine. Everybody tells me, the wheels and tires are good enough. I hope there aren't any loose bolts and nuts somewhere in the suspensions or something. Have to wait again until march 11 to visit Tesla.