Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by Sunday July 20 around 6 PM. Parking stripes paint was being touched up. The fellow there said it might be a couple months, just waiting on APS to set the transformer. Passed another Model S pulling in -- probably to ask the same question! -- as I left. Took a photo but nothing to see in it different than the one posted above by matthelm.

That was me and my wife pulling in as you were leaving! The guy I briefly talked to said he was guessing it would be about a week and a half before the transformer would be set. But he said it could be anytime like tomorrow or longer than his guess. He said the transformer location is just a few feet on the north side of the Tesla equipment enclosure.

The last 1% of this station is frustrating. Looking to take the family to Sedona in late Sept, and I'm hoping it will be done. It will by my first change to stretch my P85's legs, and battery. This supercharger will make it a breeze.

I stayed at the Sedona Rouge Hotel & Spa in Sedona in March, their 14-50 worked great for me, and it was an easy drive from the Buckeye Supercharger in my 85. See Sedona Rouge Hotel Spa | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare for more info.

Have fun and good luck!

Called around. APS can't install the transformer, pull the wires, and turn on the power until the trenching and such is done. This work needs to be performed by someone (not APS) engaged by Tesla. Approximation (only a guess) as to when all this might happen ranges from mid-August to late September. So...nobody hold their breath.

On the other hand, my source didn't say November, either.

I stayed at the Sedona Rouge Hotel & Spa in Sedona in March, their 14-50 worked great for me, and it was an easy drive from the Buckeye Supercharger in my 85. See Sedona Rouge Hotel Spa | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare for more info.

Have fun and good luck!
Plugshare shows good reports on charging at this hotel going back more than a year, one or two reports a month. In addition to being within range of Buckeye in the 85, it appears that it also is in range of Wickenburg Supercharger in a 60. 125 mi. + (7mi/kft)*(3kft elevation rise) = 146 rated miles. The highest point on the route is 4.8kft, 92 miles from Wickenburg. I am considering staying at this hotel and seeing Sedona during my own road trip through the area in September.

Guys -

Just did my cross country trip from NY to CA and back via Tucson.

I easily made it from Buckeye, AZ to Flagstaff, AZ on a range charge of 253 miles on my S85 - so Sedona should be a breeze even without Cordes Junction!

Aaron

For where I live in North Scottsdale the Buckeye Supercharger is a little out of the way for a drive to Sedona. It certainly can be done, and I've read about the outlet at Sedona Rouge. I was thinking of staying somewhere else though. If necessary I will plug into a traditional outlet and pick up 30-40 miles of charge overnight. That should suffice, but Cordes Junction would make it such that I could drive with a lead foot both ways, which I like doing in my P85.

For where I live in North Scottsdale the Buckeye Supercharger is a little out of the way for a drive to Sedona. It certainly can be done, and I've read about the outlet at Sedona Rouge. I was thinking of staying somewhere else though. If necessary I will plug into a traditional outlet and pick up 30-40 miles of charge overnight. That should suffice, but Cordes Junction would make it such that I could drive with a lead foot both ways, which I like doing in my P85.

JWinston,

It's only 114 miles from North Scottsdale to Sedona. If you just do a full charge at home - even with the elevation - you could drive to Sedona with a lead foot! No need to go to Buckeye....

As long as you charge up in Sedona before driving home - it should be a breeze going downhill....

Aaron

Updated; from Christopher Malotte, Smart Grid Program Analyst, Advanced Technologies, at APS: "I have spoken with our Construction Project Manager that is in charge of this project and she said that they are currently waiting for the contractor to finish installing the trenching, conduit, SES and transformer pad. We cannot schedule the inspection until everything has been completed. She expects that this will be completed in the end of August or mid-Sept."

Updated; from Christopher Malotte, Smart Grid Program Analyst, Advanced Technologies, at APS: "I have spoken with our Construction Project Manager that is in charge of this project and she said that they are currently waiting for the contractor to finish installing the trenching, conduit, SES and transformer pad. We cannot schedule the inspection until everything has been completed. She expects that this will be completed in the end of August or mid-Sept."

Wow. That is a long ways away.

I didn't think there were any glaciers in Arizona, but this Supercharger is being finished at a glacial pace...

I'm in North Scottsdale (far North, almost Carefree) and made it to Flagstaff in my 60. I drove the speed limit for all but the last 20 miles when I bumped it to 5 over and arrived with 13 miles remaining.

In an 85, you should be fine to Sedona. Elevation change is much less, plus it's shorter. You'd be fine at 5 over too...

I'm in North Scottsdale (far North, almost Carefree) and made it to Flagstaff in my 60. I drove the speed limit for all but the last 20 miles when I bumped it to 5 over and arrived with 13 miles remaining.

In an 85, you should be fine to Sedona. Elevation change is much less, plus it's shorter. You'd be fine at 5 over too...

Getting TO Sedona isn't a huge problem from Phoenix, but the limited charging options in Sedona will certainly limit your ability to enjoy the Red Rock Country. There is a NEMA 14-50 at the Sedona Rouge Hotel & Spa, but not much else unless your visit includes an extended visit to an RV park.

That's exactly my issue. There and back is good. But I do want to drive around for 2-3 days and hitting a NEMA 14-50 isn't terribly convenient, especially since I wont be staying at that hotel. The supercharger will be a game changer.
Getting TO Sedona isn't a huge problem from Phoenix, but the limited charging options in Sedona will certainly limit your ability to enjoy the Red Rock Country. There is a NEMA 14-50 at the Sedona Rouge Hotel & Spa, but not much else unless your visit includes an extended visit to an RV park.

That's exactly my issue. There and back is good. But I do want to drive around for 2-3 days and hitting a NEMA 14-50 isn't terribly convenient, especially since I wont be staying at that hotel. The supercharger will be a game changer.

The Sedona Rouge Hotel and Spa is a nice hotel and conveniently located. I stayed there because they had the 14-50. Consider calling your hotel, ask for the owner/manager, tell them about the Sedona Rouge, and tell them that you may switch your reservation to the Sedona Rouge unless they can install a 14-50, and will probably stay at the Sedona Rouge in the future because of their EV support. This might get their attention and provide more choices. Even with the Cordes Supercharger, if you take a lot of day trips, charging at the hotel is so much easier.