Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Union City, TN is open

On Future I-69, Union City splits 202.7 miles, 125.4 miles from Southaven, MS, 77.3 miles to Kuttawa, KY.

This reduces the maximum gap on I-69, or at least on the current fastest, closest route, to 125.4 miles.

Last edited:
Union City, TN is open

On Future I-69, Union City splits 202.7 miles, 125.4 miles from Southaven, MS, 77.3 miles to Kuttawa, KY.

This reduces the maximum gap on I-69, or at least on the current fastest, closest route, to 125.4 miles.
Nice.

Yes, that was a pleasant surprise to see.

New Caney, TX, Livingston, TX, Carthage, TX, Hope, AR, Southaven, MS, Union City, TN, Nortonville, KY and Evansville, IN have all opened up in the past 12 months and reduced the gaps on current and Future I-69.

To be clear, if you _actually_ looked at the real planned route there'd be a big gap from Nacogdoches, TX to Southaven, MS

In the image below, the blue line is the current fastest route that includes all open sites on current and Future I-69. I got that on Supercharge.info by building a route with:
1) Start (Intersection of some US Numbered Highways SW of Victoria, TX)
2) Southaven, MS
3) Nortonville, KY
4) Port Huron, MI (so close to the end you can't tell in the image that I haven't gone to the end)

I put little red circles around the new sites I listed above.

The red line is an extremely rough path of what would be the theoretical route through Louisiana and Arkansas.

So the _real_ Future I-69 wouldn't include Carthage, TX, instead cutting across US-84 to Louisiana, north, loop around to the SE of Shreveport, LA (but not close enough for the current Shreveport, LA to count), and then up and across through Monticello, AR, across a new bridge to the east of Arkansas City, AR and then heading up to join the current I-69 south of Southaven, MS. But there isn't current funding for almost the entirety of that stretch so for now it's all future.

1712078942966.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
I agree, however, I don't recommend using any strange 3rd party adapters such as the one shown. This isn't 5v/500mA USB here. You're playing with high voltage here and little things can cause bad problems.
I know the L2 works fine. Tesla wants way too much for theirs, so infrequent emergency use on L3 (with adult supervision) doesn't worry me. The Model Y should be able to regulate the voltage or tell me that it cannot.

I know the L2 works fine. Tesla wants way too much for theirs, so infrequent emergency use on L3 (with adult supervision) doesn't worry me. The Model Y should be able to regulate the voltage or tell me that it cannot.
It's your life, car, and liability. Just don't expect any sympathy if things go badly. 7 KW -vs- 250 KW is a big difference.

Union City, TN is open

Oh, small bonus for the Midwest. Union City, TN and Vandalia, IL both opened March 30th splitting a gap on US-51 of about 450 miles between Southaven, MS and Normal, IL, reducing the largest gap on that highway to 206 miles. At 55mph, if people want a more chill alternative to I-57/I-74, that's now possible in good weather.

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson and wws
Oh, small bonus for the Midwest. Union City, TN and Vandalia, IL both opened March 30th splitting a gap on US-51 of about 450 miles between Southaven, MS and Normal, IL, reducing the largest gap on that highway to 206 miles. At 55mph, if people want a more chill alternative to I-57/I-74, that's now possible in good weather.

What are the longest gaps on US Routes? Worthy of a separate thread?

What are the longest gaps on US Routes? Worthy of a separate thread?
I could do a thread. Bear in mind that I "follow the highway", so many gaps in my lists aren't _really_ gaps as there are often easy, fast diversions.

Longest gaps are generally northern Rockies and Midwest . US-2W has a big one, US-whatever up to the Canadian border, and then some across the Midwestern plains.

So, remember to vote to fill those gaps when the 2024Q2 Supercharger voting starts! :D

Reactions: wws
At least get an adapter with appropriate locking mechanisms, plus temperature monitoring and cutout.
  • [Excellent Protection Functions]: ccs1&j1772 adapter fit for tesla charging has a connection port made of brass and silver plated, a variety of current protection can be provided during charging, including output overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, input under voltage protection etc. don't need to buy j1772 and css1 adapters separately anymore, the 2-in-1 adapter is enough for your needs.

Longest gaps are generally northern Rockies and Midwest . US-2W has a big one, US-whatever up to the Canadian border, and then some across the Midwestern plains.
Using the usual 10 mile max diversion US2 from Grand Forks ND SC to Spokane WA SC is 1154 miles. If there's one longer than that I can't image where. There are permit locations in Minot ND and Kalispell MT that will cut that number down significantly if and when they open.

• Informative
Reactions: wws and DrGriz
  • [Excellent Protection Functions]: ccs1&j1772 adapter fit for tesla charging has a connection port made of brass and silver plated, a variety of current protection can be provided during charging, including output overcurrent protection, short-circuit protection, input under voltage protection etc. don't need to buy j1772 and css1 adapters separately anymore, the 2-in-1 adapter is enough for your needs.
As long as you don't mind the AC voltage being exposed on the CCS DC pins when AC charging. Sure, they have a flap to cover them, but no interlock to only allow it to AC charge with the flap closed.

As long as you don't mind the AC voltage being exposed on the CCS DC pins when AC charging. Sure, they have a flap to cover them, but no interlock to only allow it to AC charge with the flap closed.
I use the Tesla OEM on my Chevy Bolt EUV mobile charger and destination chargers. This is just for CCS. Thanks to everyone for all of the criticism, but you really should save it for ICE and hybrids. I disowned my best friend since 1970 for always second-guessing everything I told him I was doing. Time to bail out of this forum, too.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

V3 Splitter! Ozona - 14th St, TX is open. This V3 replaces the V2 Ozona, TX on I-10.
On I-10 Ozona -14th St split the #3 V3 gap 417.9 miles, 227.6 miles from Van Horn - W Broadway St, TX and 190.7 miles to San Antonio - Worth Pkwy, TX.

Splits:
3I-10Van Horn - W Broadway StTXSan Antonio - Worth PkwyTX417.9

Creates:
15I-25Van Horn - W Broadway StTXOzona - 14th StTX227.6
18I-84WOzona - 14th StTXSan Antonio - Worth PkwyTX190.7
-

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Using the usual 10 mile max diversion US2 from Grand Forks ND SC to Spokane WA SC is 1154 miles. If there's one longer than that I can't image where. There are permit locations in Minot ND and Kalispell MT that will cut that number down significantly if and when they open.
Yes, once Kalispell, MT is open the largest gap will be 968.9 miles on US-160 from Trinidad, CO to the end near Poplar Bluff, MO.
As you can see below it _just_ misses Springfield, MO (11.2 miles diversion) and will just miss Branson, MO (12 miles).
It's a very rural route so I wouldn't anticipate any splitters soon. (Tesla is welcome to add Springfield, CO, due south of Lamar, CO)

1713083979049.png

• Informative
Reactions: WarEagleGo and wws
Yes, once Kalispell, MT is open the largest gap will be 968.9 miles on US-160 from Trinidad, CO to the end near Poplar Bluff, MO.
As you can see below it _just_ misses Springfield, MO (11.2 miles diversion) and will just miss Branson, MO (12 miles).
It's a very rural route so I wouldn't anticipate any splitters soon. (Tesla is welcome to add Springfield, CO, due south of Lamar, CO)

I'd like to see one in Liberal KS - which is on US 54, and very near where US 160 crosses it. Meade KS would work as well. Back in my college days, I used to drive US 54 a lot. So it is a route I like to keep an eye on.

But more likely they'd want to put one in Wellington KS as it is an exit on I-35.

I'd like to see one in Liberal KS - which is on US 54, and very near where US 160 crosses it. Meade KS would work as well. Back in my college days, I used to drive US 54 a lot. So it is a route I like to keep an eye on.

But more likely they'd want to put one in Wellington KS as it is an exit on I-35.

There are plans for NEVI funded stations along US-400, US-81, and I-35. While I haven’t heard that actual construction has started, these were announced a few months ago. The future sites include

• Emporia, Flying J, 4215 W Hwy 50 (I-35)
  • Garden City, Love’s, 3285 E U.S. 50 (U.S. 400)
  • Cherokee, Pete’s, 20 U.S. 400
  • Fredonia, Pete’s, 2400 E Washington St. (U.S. 400)
  • Belleville, Love’s, 1356 US Highway 81 (U.S. 81)
  • Pratt, Casey’s, 1900 E 1st St (U.S. 400)

I was disappointed that US-54 wasn’t included in these initial plans. Wichita to Albuquerque is one example I give to locals considering an EV purchase where some routes take significantly more distance (but still not much more time) in an EV.

These upcoming sites are why I did the CCS upgrade in my 2018 Model 3.