Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Splitter! On I-8, Lakeside, CA splits 102 miles, 8.9 miles from La Mesa, CA, 93.6 miles to El Centro - Wake Ave, CA. This is the joint #42 out of 46 on the list.

Splitter! On I-8, Lakeside, CA splits 102 miles, 8.9 miles from La Mesa, CA, 93.6 miles to El Centro - Wake Ave, CA. This is the joint #42 out of 46 on the list.
PATHETIC!!

PATHETIC!!
Pathetic for a splitter, however, I highly suspect the plan was for a capacity increase, not a coverage one.
Tesla proliferation is likely very high in that area and growing. A lot of folks probably want to Supercharge instead of getting a home charger. I'm sure the existing Superchargers are getting crowded if it is anything like the other ones in San Diego that I've tried to use.

I am just wondering out loud, here. I have noticed that over the past year/eighteen months, Tesla is building Superchargers in some locations that are not that far from an existing location. We have labeled them 'pathetic' splitters.

My question is: are some (not necessarily all) of these pathetic splitters locations where Tesla has placed the new Supercharger on the other side of the interstate? In other words, the first Supercharger is located on the west side of the interstate, while the newer one is located down the road several miles but on the east side of the interstate?

I know from personal experience in California that many locations require a good 5-8 minute drive (unless the stars align just right) after exiting the freeway because we are driving north, and the Supercharger is on the west side of the freeway. Four traffic lights and two left turns later, we reach the SC. Then to return to the freeway, four traffic lights and a left turn to resume our journey.

But if Tesla installs a Supercharger on the east side of the freeway ten miles away, it makes ingress and egress much faster for those traveling north (as in my example.)

I would suggest locations like these (if indeed there are any) not as pathetic splitters, but more like accommodations in reducing total charging time from exit to return, with a backup function of rescuing drivers who cut their arrival percentage too close.

Reactions: doghousePVD
I am just wondering out loud, here. I have noticed that over the past year/eighteen months, Tesla is building Superchargers in some locations that are not that far from an existing location. We have labeled them 'pathetic' splitters.

My question is: are some (not necessarily all) of these pathetic splitters locations where Tesla has placed the new Supercharger on the other side of the interstate? In other words, the first Supercharger is located on the west side of the interstate, while the newer one is located down the road several miles but on the east side of the interstate?

I know from personal experience in California that many locations require a good 5-8 minute drive (unless the stars align just right) after exiting the freeway because we are driving north, and the Supercharger is on the west side of the freeway. Four traffic lights and two left turns later, we reach the SC. Then to return to the freeway, four traffic lights and a left turn to resume our journey.

But if Tesla installs a Supercharger on the east side of the freeway ten miles away, it makes ingress and egress much faster for those traveling north (as in my example.)

I would suggest locations like these (if indeed there are any) not as pathetic splitters, but more like accommodations in reducing total charging time from exit to return, with a backup function of rescuing drivers who cut their arrival percentage too close.
Oh, I know those are improving charging in a single area, but a gap is a gap.

Reactions: PLUS EV
A post in another thread got me to thinking... what is the longest gap between v3+ superchargers on the interstate system? My best guess is it's Billings, MT to Worthington, MN on Interstate 90. Until recently this one was much longer with no v3s in Montana and no v3 in Worthington. I think it stretched from WA all the way to WI just a few months ago.

A close 2nd would be SLC, UT to North Platte, NE on Interstate 80. Honorable mentions would be Butte, MT to SLC, UT on Interstate 15 and Van Horn, TX to San Antonio, TX on Interstate 10.

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney I'm curious if you've considered compiling a list for this. As more people (myself included) get newer cars with faster charging, this will start to become more of a concern for many drivers. Of course, those same newer cars tend to have a longer range so getting the gaps down to <200 miles or so (with potential v2 top offs in between if necessary) should be sufficient.

Reactions: Star K1tty
Nothing on I-83 going north through Nebraska and South Dakota. Desperate need due to climate conditions and lack of charge. Same on I-20 across northern Nebraska. Both are major travel routes.
There are now 2 dual CCS/CHAdeMO stations in Thedford, NE listed on plugshare.com
Sorry for the Off-topic since this thread is actually about Superchargers.
This opens up US Highway 83 as a north-south route between I-80 and I-90. It 143 miles to Murdo, SD on I-90 and about 65 miles to North Platte, NE on I-80. Should be easy now in any long range car, even in winter. Having 2 stations there will take some of the stress out of the trip.

A post in another thread got me to thinking... what is the longest gap between v3+ superchargers on the interstate system? My best guess is it's Billings, MT to Worthington, MN on Interstate 90. Until recently this one was much longer with no v3s in Montana and no v3 in Worthington. I think it stretched from WA all the way to WI just a few months ago.

A close 2nd would be SLC, UT to North Platte, NE on Interstate 80. Honorable mentions would be Butte, MT to SLC, UT on Interstate 15 and Van Horn, TX to San Antonio, TX on Interstate 10.

@ItsNotAboutTheMoney I'm curious if you've considered compiling a list for this. As more people (myself included) get newer cars with faster charging, this will start to become more of a concern for many drivers. Of course, those same newer cars tend to have a longer range so getting the gaps down to <200 miles or so (with potential v2 top offs in between if necessary) should be sufficient.
This would actually be a great secondary thread! It would also accommodate those driving non-Tesla EVs that may be using the adapters to use Tesla Superchargers.

I had rough maximum gaps between V3 on each Interstate, but I've now created myself a V3+ list like I have for V2+:

You are right about the 4 biggest gaps. That I-90 is doubly bad because there's also a V3 gap east of Worthington, MN to Tomah, WI.

Here's the list I have made for V3+ gaps.

Potential Splitters Summerdale, PA and Santa Rosa, NM are both planned NEVI location. The Santa Rosa, NM address is the same at the current V2 site.
Even if Santa Rosa, NM fell though, there are Encino, NM and Tucumcari, NM also as planned NEVI.

SeqHwyFromStateToStateGapSplitterStateToFromNote
1I-90Billings - N Frontage RdMTWorthington - Oxford StMN709.3
2I-80Salt Lake City - S 300 WUTNorth PlatteNE655.2Park CityUT20.3635.1
3I-10Van Horn - W Broadway StTXSan Antonio - Worth PkwyTX417.9
4I-15Salt Lake City - S 300 WUTButte - Grizzly TrlMT414.8Farr WestUT45370.2
5I-55Start (I-10 near LaplaceLA)SouthavenMS354.1
6I-40Albuquerque - Louisiana Blvd NENMAmarillo - E Interstate 40TX286.8Santa RosaNM114.5172.8
7I-75DetroitMIMackinaw CityMI280.7
8I-90Worthington - Oxford StMNTomahWI278.1
9I-29Start (I-35 in Kansas CityMO)Sioux City - Southern Hills DrIA275
10I-70Richfield - W 1250 SUTParachuteCO269.9
11I-40Amarillo - 9900 E Interstate 40TXOklahoma City - NE 36th StOK257.9Amarillo - 9900 E Interstate 40TX1.5256.6
12I-64LewisburgWVWilliamsburgVA257.2New KentVA227.530.7
13I-59Pearl RiverLACottondaleAL256.7
14I-20VicksburgMSCottondaleAL232.9
15I-25Fort CollinsCOEvansvilleWY229.9Fort CollinsCO15.5218.6
16I-84WBoardmanOROntarioOR212.9
17I-84WOntarioORBurleyID210.2
18I-81Hagerstown - Venture DrMDWilkes-Barre TownshipPA181.2SummerdalePA76.2112.1
19I-24Start (I-57 near Pulley's MillIL)Nashville - Dickerson PikeTN176.6
20I-35Oklahoma City - NE 36th StOKEl DoradoKS172
21I-76WBrightonCOEnd (I-80 near Big SpringsNE)164.9

I had rough maximum gaps between V3 on each Interstate, but I've now created myself a V3+ list like I have for V2+:

You are right about the 4 biggest gaps. That I-90 is doubly bad because there's also a V3 gap east of Worthington, MN to Tomah, WI.

Here's the list I have made for V3+ gaps.

Potential Splitters Summerdale, PA and Santa Rosa, NM are both planned NEVI location. The Santa Rosa, NM address is the same at the current V2 site.
Even if Santa Rosa, NM fell though, there are Encino, NM and Tucumcari, NM also as planned NEVI.

SeqHwyFromStateToStateGapSplitterStateToFromNote
1I-90Billings - N Frontage RdMTWorthington - Oxford StMN709.3
2I-80Salt Lake City - S 300 WUTNorth PlatteNE655.2Park CityUT20.3635.1
3I-10Van Horn - W Broadway StTXSan Antonio - Worth PkwyTX417.9
4I-15Salt Lake City - S 300 WUTButte - Grizzly TrlMT414.8Farr WestUT45370.2
5I-55Start (I-10 near LaplaceLA)SouthavenMS354.1
6I-40Albuquerque - Louisiana Blvd NENMAmarillo - E Interstate 40TX286.8Santa RosaNM114.5172.8
7I-75DetroitMIMackinaw CityMI280.7
8I-90Worthington - Oxford StMNTomahWI278.1
9I-29Start (I-35 in Kansas CityMO)Sioux City - Southern Hills DrIA275
10I-70Richfield - W 1250 SUTParachuteCO269.9
11I-40Amarillo - 9900 E Interstate 40TXOklahoma City - NE 36th StOK257.9Amarillo - 9900 E Interstate 40TX1.5256.6
12I-64LewisburgWVWilliamsburgVA257.2New KentVA227.530.7
13I-59Pearl RiverLACottondaleAL256.7
14I-20VicksburgMSCottondaleAL232.9
15I-25Fort CollinsCOEvansvilleWY229.9Fort CollinsCO15.5218.6
16I-84WBoardmanOROntarioOR212.9
17I-84WOntarioORBurleyID210.2
18I-81Hagerstown - Venture DrMDWilkes-Barre TownshipPA181.2SummerdalePA76.2112.1
19I-24Start (I-57 near Pulley's MillIL)Nashville - Dickerson PikeTN176.6
20I-35Oklahoma City - NE 36th StOKEl DoradoKS172
21I-76WBrightonCOEnd (I-80 near Big SpringsNE)164.9
Is this everything above 150 miles? 160 miles?

RE: Ontario to Burley, there is a v3 in Boise, but I'm guessing you consider that to be too large a diversion of off Interstate 84?

Is this everything above 150 miles? 160 miles?

I can't guarantee it's _everything_, but it's from all "non-future" Interstates with the largest v3 gap above 150 miles. It's possible I missed some smaller gaps on Interstates with larger gaps.

RE: Ontario to Burley, there is a v3 in Boise, but I'm guessing you consider that to be too large a diversion of off Interstate 84?

No. I just forgot to replace it in my I-84W list. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: PLUS EV
That I-90 is doubly bad because there's also a V3 gap east of Worthington, MN to Tomah, WI.
It isn't surprising that there are a lot of large V3 gaps on the more major routes. Tesla, wisely, covered these earlier with Superchargers before they had any V3s. The policy of adding V3 but not upgrading the V2 sites leads to this. Fortunately, a V2 isn't too bad and one can make good time using them.
Personally, I'm more concerned about the key routes that aren't covered with either Superchargers or Interstates. Taking them for short, 1-day jumps can definitely save serious travel time sometimes versus travel to an Interstate connector, especially when one can cut a hypotenuse diagonal (C=sqrt(A^2+B^2) and/or avoid backtracking.
Generally, these are north - south routes away from the coasts, between the major east-west Interstates such as I-10 to I-40, I-40 to I-70, I-70 to I-80, and I-80 to I-90.
The awesome thing, however, is that this awesome thread (Thanks @ItsNotAboutTheMoney !) has shown such steady improvement in shortening the gaps over the past few years. A definite credit to Tesla.
Go Tesla!

Reactions: wws and KJD
It isn't surprising that there are a lot of large V3 gaps on the more major routes. Tesla, wisely, covered these earlier with Superchargers before they had any V3s. The policy of adding V3 but not upgrading the V2 sites leads to this. Fortunately, a V2 isn't too bad and one can make good time using them.
Personally, I'm more concerned about the key routes that aren't covered with either Superchargers or Interstates. Taking them for short, 1-day jumps can definitely save serious travel time sometimes versus travel to an Interstate connector, especially when one can cut a hypotenuse diagonal (C=sqrt(A^2+B^2) and/or avoid backtracking.
Generally, these are north - south routes away from the coasts, between the major east-west Interstates such as I-10 to I-40, I-40 to I-70, I-70 to I-80, and I-80 to I-90.
The awesome thing, however, is that this awesome thread (Thanks @ItsNotAboutTheMoney !) has shown such steady improvement in shortening the gaps over the past few years. A definite credit to Tesla.
Go Tesla!
Well, I hope that Tesla can deal with more of the >= 100 V2+ gaps so I can move on to voting for V3 splitters. :)

Reactions: bruce4000 and Earl
Like an American Express card, "don't leave home without it." (And have the "Electrocute America" app on your phone.)

1711986491715.png

Filters icon in the upper left corner (looks like a funnel for some reason
Remember your college chemistry? You fold a piece of filter paper into a cone and drop it into a funnel to filter particulates out of it and let the liquid flow through.
That will be a convenient way to optimize my route through V3s when they're available. Thanks!