Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was in Cortes Junction today on the way to Flagstaff and checked on progress in Cortes Junction - nothing. I spoke with the manager at the convenience mart (Shell Station) where it reportedly will be located. He was aware that it was coming, but didn't know when.

Progress at Cordes Lakes (Cordes Junction)

I stopped by this morning, and the crew was working away. The site Foreman was very friendly and took a break to chat. He estimated they would be complete in three weeks, however that would not include electrical hook-up. He said Arizona Public Service (APS) was estimating 6 to 12 weeks before it could install the needed transformer across the street (to the West) of the site. His crew would then come back and create a bore-hole under the street to connect the superchargers to the transformer. The Foreman did say that Tesla has been able to pressure the utility into faster response at past sites, so perhaps that would happen here as well.

I saw three supercharger cabinets, so perhaps six stalls. Sorry, but I forgot to ask the Foreman. Doh!

He said his biggest hurdle was where the stalls are to be installed. A test dig revealed lot's of solid rock, so that was going to slow them down, hence the three week estimate.

He claimed credit for the Flagstaff, Ritzville (Washington State), and I think he said Kingman sites. I asked him if his life was a bit nomadic, and he laughed and said yes, but the money was good and he appreciated the work.
IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0350.jpg

This supercharger is superfrustrating. I don't understand why this one is being built prior to say Casa Grande? Maybe it's a permitting or approval issue, but Phoenix -> Flagstaff is totally doable in a 85 at this point, but you can't make it too far south.

This supercharger is superfrustrating. I don't understand why this one is being built prior to say Casa Grande? Maybe it's a permitting or approval issue, but Phoenix -> Flagstaff is totally doable in a 85 at this point, but you can't make it too far south.

It's doable if you 100% charge at Buckeye in an 85, have good weather, drive carefully, and don't have a bad headwind. That's too many ifs, and takes too long to charge at Buckeye; there is only so much time I want to spend at a Carl's Jr. Also, it is nearly impossible in a 60.

See the output below for an 85 on 21's carrying 400 lb (2 people with light luggage) from EV Trip Planner. That is just a little too close for comfort.

My rule of thumb for fast, comfortable Supercharging in an 85, and doable in a 60, is to put the Superchargers about 133 miles apart, and reduce that amount by 6 miles per 1,000 feet for elevation differences between Superchargers. Because there are 5,800 feet between Buckeye and Flagstaff, that means the distance would have to be less than 98 miles; because it's actually 164 miles, without Cordes, you are 66 miles over budget.

For easy, fast charging, and no range anxiety in an 85 and any possibility in a 60, Cordes is very needed. That in no way reduces the need for Casa Grande; they are both needed.

Buckeye-Flagstaff.png

It's also looking like Tesla is really trying to fill in all the holes in SoCal and AZ before expanding east. Cordes Lakes and Wickenburg fill in gaps and to me it's pretty exciting to see it well covered. Once those two are done is whe the bitching about Casa Grande should begin. :p

For all we know, Casa Grande could already be under construction. Cordes Junction is a very small place -- with the Shell station or McDonalds being the only realistic sites, and they are across the street from each other. From the pics posted, work started in CJ about a week or two ago -- although we've known for 1-2 months about the permit.

CG is much larger -- but has anyone been able to find the permit? Instead of complaining in anothe SC thread, go to the CG one and start asking...

For all we know, Casa Grande could already be under construction. Cordes Junction is a very small place -- with the Shell station or McDonalds being the only realistic sites, and they are across the street from each other. From the pics posted, work started in CJ about a week or two ago -- although we've known for 1-2 months about the permit.

CG is much larger -- but has anyone been able to find the permit? Instead of complaining in anothe SC thread, go to the CG one and start asking...

I call, wheep, and complain every day checking on the permit.

Nice Pictures!

Looks like Cordes is well on its way. If the Transformer/HV does not get in the way, this site could be done is a week or two!!!

So my Sweetheart took some pictures of the site today and talked with the guy at the Shell station who told her that Tesla was all done and waiting on APS, which would take "two months." The pictures add little to what Tyl posted above, except there is wood around the local transformers. There is no service transformer.

So my Sweetheart took some pictures of the site today and talked with the guy at the Shell station who told her that Tesla was all done and waiting on APS, which would take "two months." The pictures add little to what Tyl posted above, except there is wood around the local transformers. There is no service transformer.

I think what you are calling the "local transformers" is in fact the Distribution Center (really an overgrown circuit breaker distribution panel) and is dark green in color. The Distribution Center is normally in the Equipment Enclosure (often wood) with the Supercharger Cabinets. What you are calling the "local transformer" is what steps the Voltage down from something like 14,400 Volts to 480 Volts, and in Arizona is usually a sandy tan color. The transformer is usually outside the Equipment Enclosure and is usually installed when the local utility connects the power.

A picture is worth a thousand words. This is from the Blanding site when it was almost done.

Blanding Equipment-2.jpg

Please post any additional and/or new photos. The distribution cabinets are in place however I failed to check the placement pad for the utility transformer. Usually we can follow the electrical plumbing to the pad point.. I just don't recall where that is. Does anyone have any photos of where the utility transformer will be placed? Thanks!