Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would definitely be worth starting a Facebook page to raise awareness and help get out the vote. Maybe call it “Kayenta Supercharger Campaign” or similar.

Yay 🎉 for climbing from 10th place to 9th!

I don’t really expect that we’ll get enough votes in the next two weeks to climb into the top five before the end of Q4, BUT if one of us were to put a little energy into the FB page project and shared it via regional Tesla groups and with other Tesla owners I am fairly confident that we’d be successful in getting additional amount of votes 700ish that it seems it would take to get us solidly into the Top Five!

Anyone want to start up a FB page?

As to whether or not the tribe would allow it is less relevant to me. We can only control what we can control and that’s pushing for it. The politics and success of the project is really up to Tesla properly selling it to local leaders and maybe coaching them on how to sell such a project to their citizens.

Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath. My 2015 model S 85D can skip Kayenta if I hold my speed down, but my model Y LR can skip it without a speed decrease. Yet I'd love to see the tribes benefit from a SC that would allow more sight seeing trips in monument Valley or just more local sales from those who stop by.
Can you skip it on both directions?

Worried about westbound since (1) Flagstaff and Tusayan SCs require a big climb from Kayenta and (2) headwinds from the west.

Reactions: SnowFlyer and tmoz
Can you skip it on both directions?

Worried about westbound since (1) Flagstaff and Tusayan SCs require a big climb from Kayenta and (2) headwinds from the west.
Good point, I'd have to decrease speed to make it back from Blanding even in the Y LR. Now that my model S is 8.5 yrs old, I wouldn't try it again with that car. 9800 elevation gain with 9000 ft elevation loss = dicey.

Good point, I'd have to decrease speed to make it back from Blanding even in the Y LR. Now that my model S is 8.5 yrs old, I wouldn't try it again with that car. 9800 elevation gain with 9000 ft elevation loss = dicey.
Add the regionally common head wind, cold temps, and precipitation on the road and you could be for a pretty long charge at the Moenkopi Inn destination charger in Tuba City. It’s great that we have that as back up.

I’ve done the westbound route from Blanding to Flag once in a MS 100 D (also traveling with a 2019 M3) with warm late May temps, light wind, and no precipitation. We drove at about the speed limit. We stopped to charge in Tuba for about 30 -45 minutes and arrived in Flag around the 10% mark if my memory serves me right.

I’ve also driven the Flagstaff to Telluride route via Kayenta once ( fastest route between the two towns in an ice vehicle) to try it out in my S100, only charging at the destination charger in Tuba. It was Halloween day and dry roads. I believe it required a little more than 2 hours charging in Tuba and I arrived to my destination with the battery the mid teens. I wouldn’t do that again unless I had time to burn. Although the Dennys was nice and I had a good walk to the nearby Hopi village of Moenkopi.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tmoz and KJD
Oh man...cautiously optimistic here. I put down a deposit on our first Model S in 2014 after the "D" announcement and the appearance of this charging station as "coming soon". Flagstaff to Durango is a major route for us. We now have a Model 3 and a Rivian R1S. I've resigned myself to adding an extra hour and going through Gallup NM until pretty much the end of time. I'll shed tears of joy if this ever happens. It will be a river of tears if the station is NACS compatible and we can take the Riv with the dog, camping gear, bikes...pleasepleasepleaseplease let this be true!

Oh man...cautiously optimistic here. I put down a deposit on our first Model S in 2014 after the "D" announcement and the appearance of this charging station as "coming soon". Flagstaff to Durango is a major route for us. We now have a Model 3 and a Rivian R1S. I've resigned myself to adding an extra hour and going through Gallup NM until pretty much the end of time. I'll shed tears of joy if this ever happens. It will be a river of tears if the station is NACS compatible and we can take the Riv with the dog, camping gear, bikes...pleasepleasepleaseplease let this be true!

I hear you, <<chuckle>>
Gallup is supposed to get V4 chargers. I expect them to be faster than the current setup out of town, and it will save the detour for charging.

I go from Flagstaff to Durango from time to time. I simply use the free CCS chargers in Bluff Ut. Easy drive.

Reactions: Big Ike
I go from Flagstaff to Durango from time to time. I simply use the free CCS chargers in Bluff Ut. Easy drive.
I've never even considered going that way...Google maps has it at 5 hr 44 min for that route, 20 min longer than the Gallup route. I'd say less time charging in Bluff, except that the charger there will only output 200A, so good for about 65kW on the Tesla and 75kW on the slightly higher voltage (but way less efficient) Rivian. I guess it maybe depends on how fast you wanna drive across the rez...Having a stop in Kayenta would be way easier either way. Probably would only need a 10min stop on 5 hr drive vs the 20-30min in Gallup. The other route where Kayenta would be really helpful is coming back from Moab to Flagstaff. Bluff to Flagstaff is 218 mi with 2600 ft of elevation gain and generally headwinds. Last time we came that route it was about a 90min charge in Bluff to get to 92% in the Rivian. Would certainly be faster in the Model 3 LR.