Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't notified but I seriously think I was affected. Around the late summer/fall of 2019 my max range on my Model S dropped from 233 miles to 220. Now I get 215.
Same here. Got nerfed with the September 2019 software update and experienced three big step-downs in range from 256 to 244 to 232 to 226. Supercharging rates will hit as high as 128kW under ideal conditions, but tapers down to ~60kW a few minutes later. With the expansion of stalls and Supercharging locations, my remedy is to charge between 8%-68% SOC and drive to furthest uncrowded Supercharger I can. I also don't drive to destinations beyond 500 miles with our Tesla...anything further than 400 miles invokes my inner "Level 3 charging envy."

I was never contacted by Tesla nor the plaintiff attorney so I assume they either wanted a quick settlement or they did not get a complete list of affected owners. On the bright side of not participating in the class, you can pursue other class action or file your own suit in the future with this settlement as a precursor. Another assumption is that it might be challenging to get good representation because I don't think the recovery will be adequate for lawyers with the right balance of curiosity and expertise (especially since those who settled would be out of the class).

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Only?
Out of 265 miles 233 is a 12% loss and 220 is 17% loss
Correct. I'm actually being generous. Sometimes my max charge is only 208. At any rate, 265 to 215 is 19% loss and that last chunk of loss occurred suddenly. As a side note, I very frequently noticed drops in range after installing a software update, even before the notorious one that this thread is based on.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
Same here. Got nerfed with the September 2019 software update and experienced three big step-downs in range from 256 to 244 to 232 to 226. Supercharging rates will hit as high as 128kW under ideal conditions, but tapers down to ~60kW a few minutes later. With the expansion of stalls and Supercharging locations, my remedy is to charge between 8%-68% SOC and drive to furthest uncrowded Supercharger I can. I also don't drive to destinations beyond 500 miles with our Tesla...anything further than 400 miles invokes my inner "Level 3 charging envy."

I was never contacted by Tesla nor the plaintiff attorney so I assume they either wanted a quick settlement or they did not get a complete list of affected owners. On the bright side of not participating in the class, you can pursue other class action or file your own suit in the future with this settlement as a precursor. Another assumption is that it might be challenging to get good representation because I don't think the recovery will be adequate for lawyers with the right balance of curiosity and expertise (especially since those who settled would be out of the class).
ours too..but didnt even know about this..oh well..

My old car was affected but I never got the settlement payed. I don't care so much about the $600. I do care about the other things they did to my old and my second car as well. The slowdown of charge speed and the wasteful thermal management.

I do understand that Tesla wants to avoid any chance of fires. But my fear is that this will become the norm for car manufacturers. Crippling older cars more and more as they age to make people get new ones.

If your vehicle was one of the ~1,700 that were part of the class you should have been notified.

Also was not notified. Dropped from 255 to 210. S85 2014. The wiki page from wk057 has my pack iteration specifically listed as well, so... I guess I'll hold out for the next settlement or something. Lawyers gonna lawyer-- those bus stop ads don't pay for themselves!

The wiki page from wk057 has my pack iteration specifically listed as well, so...
I don't think that means anything. Tesla only limited certain packs, not all packs of a particular iteration...

so... I guess I'll hold out for the next settlement or something.
The current class action is about "fake" battery failures, not degradation. So, one, it doesn't apply to you. And two, I think there is a 0% chance they win or get a settlement.

What made you choose the Limited over the SE? It looks like the SE is less expensive and gets 50+ miles more estimated range.
The added features of the Limited. Specifically, surround view cameras enhanced Highway Driver Assist, and ventilated front seats.
The added range of the SE is purely from their 18" wheels vs 20". If the added range becomes an issue then I'll buy a set of the 18s
In reality, the range is GREAT. It is rated at 305 and I get 270 real world driving at 80 with my commute.

I'm trying to understand why hyundai loses range on a dual motor car while tesla gains efficiency on a dual motor car
It's from the added hp avaliable. But, in reality, in Eco driving mode, the front axle completely disconnects and you get the same range as RWD.
The ranges are MUCH closer in real world than Tesla rated range.

It's from the added hp avaliable. But, in reality, in Eco driving mode, the front axle completely disconnects and you get the same range as RWD.
The ranges are MUCH closer in real world than Tesla rated range.
Is there any noticeable vampire drain in the car?
I've asked a coworker about a Nissan leaf and he claims the thing never loses range by just letting it sit a day or 2.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy
Another update on my Hyundai!
Almost no phantom drain!
I parked my car 2 weeks ago before going on a trip and have lost 7 miles while parked. Yes, SEVEN miles over 2 weeks

I had a Model 3 rental on my trip that lost 7% (18 miles) overnight!
I've asked a coworker about a Nissan leaf and he claims the thing never loses range by just letting it sit a day or 2.
Amazingly, near ZERO drain.
I was on a trip for 17 days.
Parked with 78% 211 miles.
Returned with 75% 203 miles.
So, less than 1 mile per day
How did you get that detail battery information, like 74 kWh usable of 77kWh battery, and 4.15 battery maxV? Is there an SMT equivalent for your Hyundai?
Yes, just plug an OBD scanner in the normal plug (no extra wiring needed) and I use Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app.

Almost no phantom drain!
I parked my car 2 weeks ago before going on a trip and have lost 7 miles while parked. Yes, SEVEN miles over 2 weeks

Parked with 78% 217 miles.
but its a hyundai....i have seen a few driving around as well as the kia ev...but its a kia...they are crap cars in general so why would the ev be any better?
Not crap at all.
100x build quality over any Tesla I've seen.

Almost no phantom drain!

Parked with 78% 217 miles.

Not crap at all.
100x build quality over any Tesla I've seen.
All I can say to the build quality urban legend is that Tesla's are among if not the safest vehicles ever constructed. Apparently they're putting the money where it matters. Remember All that glitters is not Gold.