Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to edit my post to clarify but apparently that requires a paid subscription (interesting…) and I didn’t want to spam the forum by replying again.

I calculated the 67kwh based on the consumption screen, so that will be usable battery. However, given some earlier posts before mine, I think that amount of usable battery might imply it is the smaller pack, at least in my car. If it had been 70, I would’ve assumed it was software limited. Given its 67 I worry it’s not software limited so might take more seriously the recommendation to charge to 80%.

One last note, the car reports I have “premium” audio - but I am not sure that’s correct. If it is, it’s a different premium. … premium audio for certain values of premium. I don’t think it’s the older premium audio.

Please report the charge rates you are getting at higher rates of charge (more than 90%) at a supercharger. If you get similar rates to the one in my first post, that will indicate a software limited battery. If you are getting slow rates as you reach 100% that would indicate full use of a smaller battery.

I just bought 2023 MY RWD to take advantage of transferring FSD and free supercharging from 2017 Model S 75. They delivered it home in California today. It is amazing. I was charging this afternoon and even 99% SOC I was getting 35kwh. I also confirmed it with Tesla salesperson that it is a long range battery. He said it is safe to charge it 100%.

Me and my wife liked the car so much we ordered one more to replace our 2019 Tesla Model S P100DL and transfer the FSD and free supercharging.

We got crazy deals on inventory models since we are existing owners and we have cybertruck pre ordered.

Reactions: mborkow
I just bought 2023 MY RWD to take advantage of transferring FSD and free supercharging from 2017 Model S 75. They delivered it home in California today. It is amazing. I was charging this afternoon and even 99% SOC I was getting 35kwh. I also confirmed it with Tesla salesperson that it is a long range battery. He said it is safe to charge it 100%.

Me and my wife liked the car so much we ordered one more to replace our 2019 Tesla Model S P100DL and transfer the FSD and free supercharging.

We got crazy deals on inventory models since we are existing owners and we have cybertruck pre ordered.

Did you get the $7500 Federal Tax Rebate? I'm an existing S owner with free Supercharging. They're offering free paint or free interior color choices. But that's it. Anything I don't know about?

some context for 2024s MY RWD Freemont builds, here's some charging stats from a recent SC stop, 56% to 100%.

i didn't precondition for too long, and this was at a V3 (250kW) charger in Orlando. only supercharged one other time, saw peaks at 175kW but didn't have tessie set up at that point. will be doing another road trip next week so will post some stats. I'm a new owner so if anyone has feedback for better data collection im all ears
1711032072549.png

some context for 2024s MY RWD Freemont builds, here's some charging stats from a recent SC stop, 56% to 100%.

i didn't precondition for too long, and this was at a V3 (250kW) charger in Orlando. only supercharged one other time, saw peaks at 175kW but didn't have tessie set up at that point. will be doing another road trip next week so will post some stats. I'm a new owner so if anyone has feedback for better data collection im all ears

From this curve, it seems to me that the 2024 is using the 82kWh Panasonic pack limited down to about 80% as that's where you would still see a 50kW charging rate. This would also line up with the 2024 EPA testing for the 2024 RWD that lists the battery capacity at 66.5kWh which would be about 80% of 82kWh.

So compared to the 2023, a little less available capacity and range, but perhaps a little better battery longevity since less of the capacity is being used.

How did you buy a 2023 new in 2024? Does that mean you have the premium audio system?

I just bought 2023 MY RWD to take advantage of transferring FSD and free supercharging from 2017 Model S 75.

Yeah, they would have to give "crazy deals" to sell 2023 Model Y RWDs, as they don't qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, like the 2024 Model Y RWDs do. (Which I guess doesn't matter if the buyer doesn't qualify.)

Reactions: mborkow

View attachment 1030279

colonialwand - What sort of range are you getting within CFL highways? I'm picking up a 2024 MY RWD tomorrow and have concerns since highways speeds in CFL are typically 80+ MPH just to not get run over.​

colonialwand - What sort of range are you getting within CFL highways? I'm picking up a 2024 MY RWD tomorrow and have concerns since highways speeds in CFL are typically 80+ MPH just to not get run over.​

Based on driving on I-4 (with disney traffic) and then backroads headed to SWFL with no traffic so more higher speed driving, got 158 miles out of 66% range so estimated range to 0 would be 239. Majority of driving was around 70-80 mph

1000021600.jpg
1000021601.jpg

From this curve, it seems to me that the 2024 is using the 82kWh Panasonic pack limited down to about 80% as that's where you would still see a 50kW charging rate. This would also line up with the 2024 EPA testing for the 2024 RWD that lists the battery capacity at 66.5kWh which would be about 80% of 82kWh.

So compared to the 2023, a little less available capacity and range, but perhaps a little better battery longevity since less of the capacity is being used.

I'm curious about the rationale of tesla strategy -- 2023 MY RWD 78kwh LG locked at 70KWH, about 10% locked, with premium audio,. 2024 MY RWD Panasonic 82kwh locked at 67kwh, about 20% locked, with regular audio. both advertised 170kw max charging rate.

My best guess is that they are positioning this MY RWD as the fleet/Uber driver's car. It's the cheapest Tesla you can buy after tax credit, taking the place of M3 RWD. They can now see that cars used for rideshare are almost exclusively DC charged, sometimes to the detriment of the general customer base as they clog up chargers and are not incentivized to leave early to make room for other drivers. That would explain overdelivering on charge speed and would also explain the rationale for software locking a larger battery. There's no better way to force a driver to leave the charger at 80% than locking out the top 20% permanently. It's cheaper and faster to leave extra cells in the cars than it is to build out more charging infrastructure, which they are already doing as fast as they can.

My best guess is that they are positioning this MY RWD as the fleet/Uber driver's car. It's the cheapest Tesla you can buy after tax credit, taking the place of M3 RWD. They can now see that cars used for rideshare are almost exclusively DC charged, sometimes to the detriment of the general customer base as they clog up chargers and are not incentivized to leave early to make room for other drivers. That would explain overdelivering on charge speed and would also explain the rationale for software locking a larger battery. There's no better way to force a driver to leave the charger at 80% than locking out the top 20% permanently. It's cheaper and faster to leave extra cells in the cars than it is to build out more charging infrastructure, which they are already doing as fast as they can.
This is a nice new perspective.
I think most corporate fleet customers have their own garages and wall chargers. Rideshare MYs are rare. Rental companies will not buy EVs anyway as we all know what just happened to Hertz tesla rentals.
If this is really Tesla's marketing strategy, I think they will be disappointed by the low volume and low margin of MY RWDs.

I think RWDs are to steal VW, ford, Hyd EV customers. They artificially advertise low specs to avoid cannibalizing LR sales.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kohan
Yes, and it's a nice way to anchor the MY line with an ultra low price. A lot of potential EV buyers going forward are the type who will be uncomfortable buying a car online. They'll show up and look at cars in inventory if they can be enticed with a low sticker price. At that point, car salesman are good at upselling and getting buyers to spring for long range, color and interior upgrades, etc.

I do think there will be a lot more rideshare MYs now that M3 is currently production limited and does not qualify for tax credit. Hertz got stung by bad timing. M3s were averaging over $50k when they announced the plan to buy. Residual value cratered in '23 when NEW prices fell significantly. That's unlikely to happen again. It's a lot harder to hardcore depreciate from ~$35k bulk buyer starting price of MY.

I'm curious about the rationale of tesla strategy -- 2023 MY RWD 78kwh LG locked at 70KWH, about 10% locked, with premium audio,. 2024 MY RWD Panasonic 82kwh locked at 67kwh, about 20% locked, with regular audio. both advertised 170kw max charging rate.
Just as a data point, I’ve supercharged my 2023 RWD once and I started at 41% and was pulling 141kW so I am pretty sure the 170kW max charge rate for the 2023 is an under promise/over deliver situation. Another forum member documented pulling 251kW on his 2023 RWD (he was just about at 0% when he snapped the pic showing that rate).

WRT strategy, I suspect the choices were dictated by manufacturing efficiencies, logistics, and the changes to EV tax credits about to roll in w/the new year.