Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USA MY RWD has soft limited LR battery!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week I did a 880 mile round trip from eastern Washington to Whistler in Canada with my '23 MY RWD. The car was fully loaded with family and gear. Outdoor temps ranged from 25 to 50 and there were periods of heavy rain. Lots of elevation changes, too. I typically like to stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, but got a little anxious on the way back and spent long portions of the drive over 75. So this was far from ideal range maximizing conditions. I averaged 309 Wh/mi for the whole trip. With a 70 kWh pack, that would be 226 real world highway range. Honestly, it was more than enough. We were driving past chargers. My best stop was pulling in at 6% SOC. Briefly hit 253 kW while supercharging.

I'm sure there are discussions of it on this forum, but could FSD be contributing to lower efficiency for the other poster? I used autopilot for about half of the trip. The other half I was either enjoying the drive or didn't trust it during bad conditions.

Reactions: mborkow and DanDi58
Last week I did a 880 mile round trip from eastern Washington to Whistler in Canada with my '23 MY RWD. The car was fully loaded with family and gear. Outdoor temps ranged from 25 to 50 and there were periods of heavy rain. Lots of elevation changes, too. I typically like to stay within 5 mph of the speed limit, but got a little anxious on the way back and spent long portions of the drive over 75. So this was far from ideal range maximizing conditions. I averaged 309 Wh/mi for the whole trip. With a 70 kWh pack, that would be 226 real world highway range. Honestly, it was more than enough. We were driving past chargers. My best stop was pulling in at 6% SOC. Briefly hit 253 kW while supercharging.

I'm sure there are discussions of it on this forum, but could FSD be contributing to lower efficiency for the other poster? I used autopilot for about half of the trip. The other half I was either enjoying the drive or didn't trust it during bad conditions.
you are right, 220 range is acceptable with so many super chargers. I was on FSD 80% of time not sure if that caused higher consumption. Can you point me to the post about FSD contributing to lower efficiency?

Did you navigate to the Tesla SC? The battery conditioning consumes a lot of battery. Almost 80% of actual driving.
I don't think you really mean that 80% of the actual driving is consumed by preconditioning, My experience over 48k miles and many road trips is, it's a few percentage points over the course of a trip, and it's made up for by being able to get max charge rate when you stop to charge, shortening your charge time.

I too believe I can drive more efficient than cruise control... I feel like it guns it up the hills and leaves speed on the table going down hill.. dunno how to quantify

how do you know it has a 67kwh battery pack? is 67 kwh usable or total?

I went to edit my post to clarify but apparently that requires a paid subscription (interesting…) and I didn’t want to spam the forum by replying again.

I calculated the 67kwh based on the consumption screen, so that will be usable battery. However, given some earlier posts before mine, I think that amount of usable battery might imply it is the smaller pack, at least in my car. If it had been 70, I would’ve assumed it was software limited. Given its 67 I worry it’s not software limited so might take more seriously the recommendation to charge to 80%.

One last note, the car reports I have “premium” audio - but I am not sure that’s correct. If it is, it’s a different premium. … premium audio for certain values of premium. I don’t think it’s the older premium audio.