Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clarity around CAC imbalances, voltage imbalances, bad bricks, and battery warranty - 2015 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I looked up the Jason reported numbers and they were:
TotalUsable
Original 60
61​
58,5​
85/P85/85D/P85D
81,5​
77,5​
90D/P90D
85,8​
81,8​
Original 70
71,2​
68,8​
75/75D
75​
72,6​
Software limited 60/60D
75​
62,4​
Software limited 70/70D
75​
65,9​

Interesting that I now have approx same capacity as a Software limited 70D, so Tesla made a good choice on setting the Software limit lower on the newer S 70D's as they knew they would degrade slower, when users could only charge to 88-92% :) :).
I remember when Jason posted these numbers and there wasn't much SMT data at that time to compare to. But I was suspicious of those numbers from Jason because they didn't match well with what I saw from my own car that had a 4.0 kWh buffer when I bought it new in 2015, and also had a full capacity of 68.88 kWh (based on my exact constant of 287 Wh/mile, and full rated range of 240 miles).
And I don't recall if Jason ever compared his numbers to the SMT values so I wasn't sure what exactly he was referring to.

For sake of discussion, I refer to nominal full pack from SMT as the true full capacity (including the buffer), and maximum usable capacity is just nominal full pack minus the buffer, so in my case then, 64.88 kWh when the car was new. But I never had the full capacity since my car was rated for 240 miles when new, but I never saw that value, only about 236 miles, even from day 1.

Any of the apps like TeslaFi or Tessie, can only give approximate values for these terms, since they don't get the direct reading of nominal full pack, and have to calculate from non-exact values, like SOC %, for example.

Reactions: seenhear and jensk2