Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero Weather Package. Worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as range impact the sub zero package is probably more efficient than running the normal heater - consider it true 5 zone heating controls with the added benefit of heating the windshield wipers and exterior mirrors. My kids love it - they bring a down comforter and love the radiant heat from the seats. if they really add the steering wheel heater - this should become standard equipment and just raise the price..

Of all the option packages, this is the most reasonable (come on, under $1k on a $140k car?). For me the rear heated seats will be utilized by my passengers so it was a no brainer for me. Agree with the other posters that the heated wipers are actually a heated spot on the windshield and practically not that usable IMHO.

Last edited:
Are the side view mirrors heated by turning on the rear defroster on cars without the cold weather package? If not, I really wish I had ordered it then.

It's still part of the Tech package (from the order page today):

Power folding, heated side mirrors with memory

Emphasis mine.

- - - Updated - - -

This is why I didn't order the winter package.

* Seattle area isn't really cold enough to need it.
* I keep my car in the garage almost all the time, so even if it does snow the heated windshield wipers doesn't do much for me.
* I don't usually have passengers in the backseat. Happens a handful of times a year, so the heated seats don't do much for me.

But the biggest reason.

Having the Sub-Zero package increases the cost of a windshield replacement. From what I understand it almost doubles it. I've needed new windshields on pretty much every car I've owned. So over the life of the car the Sub-Zero package would cost me more than the $750 for the package.

The heated steering wheel being included might have pushed me over the edge if it'd been there when I ordered. It'd still have been difficult to justify for me. But at this point I'm not going to put much thought into it or bother adding it to my order.

Are the side view mirrors heated by turning on the rear defroster on cars without the cold weather package? If not, I really wish I had ordered it then.

My March, 2013 car came with them. There was no indication anywhere that it had them, but they definitely work when you turn on the rear window defroster. Previous cars with them always had a little symbol on the mirror glass indicating they were heated, but the Model S (at least mine) doesn't have it.