Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero Weather Package. Worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Norway about 6 out of 10 orders the sub zero pack. I did not order it, as I`ve never had problems with frozen nozzles (as long as I use ordinary wiper fluid), and if the wipers are frozen I`ll need to remove the ice more places than on the wipers anyway. As for heated rear seats, my daughter is about 4-5 years away from being able to use them anyway, and with preheating the value is greatly reduced.

So I`m not getting the sub zero pack. Had it been half the price (it`s about $1400 in Norway) I would`ve concidered it.

One thing I DO miss is nozzles cleaning the headlights!

Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that the rear seat heaters don't have controls that are accessible to the rear seat passengers? I'm assuming you have to ask someone in the front to turn them on and off. I know Tesla is against buttons for some reason, but that seems downright annoying!

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see all the replies to my "lack of buttons" thread before I posted this one. I know how this will get answered :) I can't seem to edit or delete a previous post so please just ignore this question. Thanks!

Agree, there needs to be some control

Control doesn't have to be by buttons or knobs. Perhaps Tesla will incorporate this into a creative use of a tablet sized device for the rear passengers. Lots of possibilities.

Well I started the thread and I decided to go with the subzero package. I recieved the car mid-september.
The rear heated seats are awesome. My son loves the feature and keeps him warm. I don't think the lack of contorls in the back is an issue.
I did not use the wiper blade warmers at all. But that is most likely because I never parked outside when it was snowing. I park in a parking garage at work (they put in an outlet for me :smile:) .

In my neck of the woods (Ohio) we got a fair share of snow but it was much harsher with the cold tempertatures thus making the seat warmers a very nice feature.
Is it worth the money? Yes given the cost of the feature compared to the cost of the car.

I've only had my car a few weeks in mild BC weather but I'm really glad I got it. I'm always hotter than my kids - so by turning their seats on, I can keep cooler. It's not even about saving power but more about everyone staying comfortable.

How about an update now that many of you have lived a harsh winter with (or without!) the Subzero pkg?

Is it worth it?

Well, my car doesn't have it, but I had a loaner from Tesla that did during 3 days of really horrible, snowy weather. As far as the rear seat heaters go... couldn't care less, I rarely, if ever have passengers with me and if I do, it's my wife in the other front seat.

The heated wipers (really just a defroster strip where the wipers sit) didn't seem to make much difference. As far as I can tell, it doesn't come on when you pre-heat the car with the app, which would be most valuable to me to melt the snow/ice that accumulates there while parked. You have to turn it on via the touchscreen, and it times out after a while and goes off. Once you're actually using the wipers, it didn't help at all as the wipers will gum up with slush just like on a non-equipped car. I believe it has heated washers too, but I would imagine that it only comes on when you turn it on via the touchscreen. I always use a high quality washer anti-freeze and have never had a problem there, so little value to the heated washers as well.

One feature the loaner had that I really wish I had is the parking assist sensors. They worked really, really well even with the bumpers dirty with snow.

Our kids love the rear heated seats. When trying to get every mile out of the battery they come in handy with the cabin set to 65.

I needed the heated wipers twice during sleet and freezing rain. If we didn't have a garage I would see the wipers being used more often.

One problem in trying to melt a pile of ice in the well below the wipers using heat applied to the windshield is that the 1/8" next to the windshield melts and then thermal contact to the ice pile is lost and the rest refuses to melt. It does help free the ice for manual removal; however.

We love ours and I will not buy a used one without the SubZero Pkg - this will add to your resale value - I dont even look at used teslas that are 60s, sans parking sensors, or tech pkg. If you are going to spend this much cash get all teh options that will make the car marketable when you decide to sell.

I rarely have back seat passengers, never had windhield washer fluid freeze on me, and from what I've read the heating coils at the base of the windshield are ineffective.
However, if heated steering wheel is now part of the package, I would change my mind on the option.

We use it all the time. Our kids love it in the back seats.

When we are driving in wet snow, sleet, or freezing rain it works great at keeping your windshield wipers from freezing up as long as they are on intermittent.

If we parked outside I know it would get used even more for frost.

We get washer fluid with antifreeze so that's never been an issue for us either.