Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Subzero Weather Package. Worth it or not?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes the only way to turn them on or off is from the main screen. Need to go into options and then there is a tab called "winter driving" where you get a picture of all the seats and the wipers and that's where you turn them on and off. they have three different power levels just like the front ones. they get turned off automatically when the car shuts off and then you ha e to turn them back on again each time.

yes the only way to turn them on or off is from the main screen. Need to go into options and then there is a tab called "winter driving" where you get a picture of all the seats and the wipers and that's where you turn them on and off. they have three different power levels just like the front ones. they get turned off automatically when the car shuts off and then you ha e to turn them back on again each time.
i think this is an area that more voice commands would really help out. im sure they'll come in time.

Time to trade in my "Your Model S has entered the production queue at our Factory in Fremont, California." P85D and get one with a heated steering wheel! :) - Joyful!! Actually - had one in my 5-series "just because" and loved using it. It is one of those things that after having it, it's nice to carry forward the options in later purchases (just like power windows and seats!) <grin>

Latest information from Tesla indicates that the subzero package now comes with heated steering wheel.

For those of you who have the rear heated seats... I would like to know how they operate. Thanks!

Just press the seat and there is a new "All off". Btw, the heated mirrors comes on with rear-defroster.

IMG_5011.JPG

Even though I live in SoCal, I still got the Subzero package. For $750, its really not that much proportional to the price of the car.

And this way, no-one can complain about sitting in the back (unless if they're behind me, I'm 6ft9in and 420lbs)

I saw a car once (want to say a GMC Denali, but not 100% sure) that had Koolatron thermoelectric cooling/heating technology in the cupholders that could be switched to both Heat and Cool.
My last vehicle had a box between the front seats with 3 settings, hot-cool-ice, in hot mode it kept food/drinks warm, in cool mode it kept them refrigerated, and in ice mode it was able to freeze water in a small included ice-cube tray. This was vehicle from 23 years ago.

More relevant to this thread, sub-zero package is the one optional package that does not appear over-priced. As for how useful it is, that depends. Heated washer nozzles sound mostly gimmicky for anyone who lives somewhere that regularly gets winter, we wouldn't even think of using washer juice that freezes above about -40 degrees. heated "wipers" should be renamed, I believe other manufacturers call that heated windshield, I have it on my current (non-tesla) vehicle, and it does help, but is hardly foolproof, and if the wipers are running, they don't spend enough time there to defrost. Heated rear seats are a great idea, but I find the choice to omit rear controls for them to be kind of ridiculous, there's minimalism, and then there's missing features, this is the latter, not the former.
As for rumours of a heated steering wheel, I say it's about time, especially with the advice to drive with heated seats and lowered cabin temperature, the steering wheel being heated only makes sense.

I wouldn't configure the extra $750, for heated nozzles, wipers and rear seats. You already get the heated front seats (albeit not that hot). I could see the feature for a PHEV, where battling for range can be a constant. Even then, the first "Sub-zero Package" items I think of for an EV are:

-front windshield heating element (negating the need for both heated wipers and a power-thirsty air defroster)
-heated steering wheel

Even then, the first "Sub-zero Package" items I think of for an EV are:

-front windshield heating element (negating the need for both heated wipers and a power-thirsty air defroster)
-heated steering wheel
The "front windshield heating element" is exactly what the "heated wipers" are.
heated steering wheel is rumoured to be in all sub-zero packages going forward.

For the price of the sub-zero package, it seems like the cheapest add-on value for money wise. (they charge thousands for a couple LED lights and a bit of leather, this is worth more and costs much less)

I wouldn't configure the extra $750, for heated nozzles, wipers and rear seats. You already get the heated front seats (albeit not that hot).

I did it only for the rear seats and to me it was a small price to pay. It also had less to do with range but more for comfort. I am always hot and my wife and three daughters are always cold. Now I don't need to get too hot in order to heat up the car for my wife and three daughters. They always have their seats on while mine stays off and we all stay comfortable.