Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please merge if this is redundant... Can someone please offer an explanation as to why AJ @ MS felt the compelling need to issue that "conjecture" research note today? I'm trying to come up with what possible benefit that serves him and MS today? I expect this from the bear FUD crowd.

I don't know but I'm finding him increasingly annoying. If you have no new information then don't spew baseless speculation. He's starting to get into "Claim Chowdry" territory.

Please merge if this is redundant... Can someone please offer an explanation as to why AJ @ MS felt the compelling need to issue that "conjecture" research note today? I'm trying to come up with what possible benefit that serves him and MS today? I expect this from the bear FUD crowd.

He may have become annoying but he did 'warn' in his own weird way about the stock price drop a little while after Elon commented about the valuation being a little high. He may be closer to some inside TM than we think and is sharing information in the only way he knows how without revealing sources. IF (big if...conjecture on my part) he does have this info he may be trying to soften the blow/mitigate any issues that a delay in the X production may bring.

My uneducated conjecture: We see the model X reveal sometime in the next 1-6 months :confused:

He did clearly mention that it was his conjecture, no statement/info from Tesla. And he also made clear that it shouldn't matter b/c it won't affect TSLA in a negative way since they now have AWD, demand isn't low, etc. I think he's just preparing the market in case Tesla does delay it. Then he can say, he told you this might happen and that it isn't a big deal, you should buy this weakness/dip.

Just my opinion.

Playing a long strangle for GOOG earnings tonight. Even if they don't get "Netflixed" tonight, the magnified volatility this week should hopefully make this a marginally profitable play. We shall see.

Edit: aaaand I'm rich. (OK not really, but this could be a very profitable trade for me in the morning).

Edit2: or not. After hours bots can't decide whether they want to gift me with profit.

Last edited:
Playing a long strangle for GOOG earnings tonight. Even if they don't get "Netflixed" tonight, the magnified volatility this week should hopefully make this a marginally profitable play. We shall see.

Edit: aaaand I'm rich. (OK not really, but this could be a very profitable trade for me in the morning).

Edit2: or not. After hours bots can't decide whether they want to gift me with profit.

Good to see some trading joy and excitement back on thread, even if it is from google trade. :smile:

Can you share more about your strategy? How many strikes otm did you go? I looked at strike prices of nflx last night and that strategy made some speculators extremely wealthy.

My nflx went ok this am. I bought about 5 mins after open. 2 370 calls and 2 310 puts (opened at 330ish). I held them for about an hour. I made $50 on the puts and lost around $100 on the calls. I paid 1.51 for the calls, around 3pm the stock was at 360 they were only worth 1.86. I think I bought too soon, before the IV crush completely happened. The volatility went away and I didn't enter any more trades.

This strategy doesn't work very well for low-beta stocks. Google being such a stable company, it is not likely enough to make drastic moves around earnings (or ever, really.) Between this and the after-earnings IV drop, I think it's very hard to make any money with a straddle/strangle on a stock like GOOG.

NFLX on the other hand...

This strategy doesn't work very well for low-beta stocks. Google being such a stable company, it is not likely enough to make drastic moves around earnings (or ever, really.) Between this and the after-earnings IV drop, I think it's very hard to make any money with a straddle/strangle on a stock like GOOG.

Normally I'd agree, but I figured I would take an experimental shot given huge volatility of past few days. Yellen could magnify any GOOG move tomorrow as well, or nullify it.

We'll see if this works out in the morning.

Theshadows: I bought a 500 Put / 550 Call strangle near the bell. Needs to just beat those strikes to be profitable I think, but we'll see.

Speculating that we are at the bottom or close to the bottom of this downward trend and dipped my toes in by buying shares today. Anyone else doing the same?

Yes, I've been buying throughout the week.

I was on the sidelines since Labour day and got lucky with a large Put wager the eve of the D event.

Happy to be back in long with Shares and Leaps. I've bought in with 2/3 of my planned buy, the other 1/3 I'm leaving for after Q3.

Really pleased and lucky with how I managed this last wave from May to present. Hope we turn the corner from here.

A pop tomorrow would make me very happy because I am sitting on some worthless QQQ and TSLA calls that I was just figuring would die off tomorrow. If I can salvage anything on those it will make me very happy :)

- - - Updated - - -

Agree, @mdemetri. A FRB President doesn't make this kind of remark casually; it bespeaks of a subtle policy shift that will put a stop to the panicky selling we've seen lately. I've got a big chunk of cash sidelined that is going in to the market first thing.

Indeed i might pull the trigger on some QQQ calls and some more TSLA calls if the macro news is about to turn back bullish.

Although I fear that the QE bubble they refuse to let deflate is eventually going to crash us hard and it won't be pretty... The only thing saving the US right now is that we are doing better than almost all the other markets so if people are going to buy something it will be the "safe" US...

Speculating that we are at the bottom or close to the bottom of this downward trend and dipped my toes in by buying shares today. Anyone else doing the same?

I unloaded some protective puts at 218, so my position is now bullish except for a November covered call I sold which will probably expire worthless. I'm still twitchy about the ER though, but I'm hopeful the stock will recover from any dive by the Detroit Auto Show in late January.

From CNBC: " 'Stunning' Fed move put bottom under stocks: Traders " http://www.cnbc.com/id/102094988
So it looks like the Fed is coming to the rescue again and Yellen will likely confirm that the Fed is reconsidering prolonging QE when she speaks tomorrow morning. My take is the market and Tesla go much higher tomorrow. Thoughts?

Yes, I think I agree with this. TSLA has been holding up nicely and and $229 has been resistance. But I'm also thinking that the Fed won't do anything to make the market sell off even more than it already has. So it's likely whatever they say tomorrow will help the markets. If we can break that resistance hopefully we can move up to $240 area.

Update: experiment was a spectacular failure! Ah, market, you temptress.