Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please don't get me wrong guys, I fully expect the reveal BEFORE the auto show, it is just a matter of the expiration timing of the January options gives me time to let this baby ride all the way to the end before I really have to do something with it. So I have a lot of opportunity for the stock to shoot up further on some positive news. Since it was asked why the Dec and Jan options that I chose. I feel like I have given both expiration prices more than enough time value to hit those prices and will most likely sell them off either before or after the ER... I just have the option to continue to let it ride if I feel it is worth it.

Most likely when we get right up before the ER, I will buy what little cash I have left as a hedge to balance out the ER if we get a sell off.

Historically on a positive earnings we have had a sell off the day of the Release (before the stuff is posted) so Nov 5 will likely be a red day, and then gap up the following day.

If TSLA doesn't follow that same pattern I will be more inclined for some worry about where the price is going to go.

got it. Right there with you, I have a decent amount of Jan options and working out roll over strategy now. They become long term gains this month so Im trying to balance news over coming three months as well. After Q3 earnings I think X reveal is likely only catalyst prior to Jan expiration, but hey its Elon so you never know.

Since Chickenlittle objected to my comment being placed here, I have deleted it. However, in my opinion there should not be both short term and social short term investment threads. Their joint existence means that if people don't read both threads (which often refer to similar matters) they may miss something of significance.

Last edited:
Daimler is not an investment company. It manufactures automobiles. It made its original investment in Tesla Motors to insure the success of its supplier of electric motors. It is now obvious that Tesla is around to stay and may become a dominant player in its industry. Since Tesla can now survive without financial support from Daimler, Daimler sold its hedged stake to free up the money for its own corporate purposes. Daimler made it clear that the sale should not be construed as a lack of confidence in Tesla Motors.
Enjoy reading your posts and they make good points but should they appear word for word in multiple threads? Maybe you can put in a link to your previous response rather than copy it

ok, ok, off topic but.........I just donated to the election campaign of Mark Schauer who is running against Michigan's Snyder, might help the stock and Tesla (not to mention be hilariuous) if Sndyer gets voted out. To donate: Mark Schauer for Governor

Did you first ask Schauer or his staff for his opinion on the anti-Tesla law? Or is there something in the news about him opposing the law?

in my opinion there should not be both short term and social short term investment threads.

I agree; I cannot tell the difference between the two. I have to read both. Actually, I wish you guys wouldn't write so much:smile:. It takes a good part of my day to get through it all. My investments aren't short-term. I come here to get the news and read the reaction and analysis.

Since Chickenlittle objected to my comment being placed here, I have deleted it. However, in my opinion there should not be both short term and social short term investment threads. Their joint existence means that if people don't read both threads (which often refer to similar matters) they may miss something of significance.

Yup, thread never should have been made to begin with and has no real reason for existence. It was just people grousing about people talking about trades in one thread. So now everyone just talks about trades in two threads...

Yup, thread never should have been made to begin with and has no real reason for existence. It was just people grousing about people talking about trades in one thread. So now everyone just talks about trades in two threads...

I disagree. I think the social thread serves a notable purpose. Its existence does (or should) cut down on frivolous posts on the short term thread, and at the same time gives us an outlet for being chatty/frivolous. I wouldn't have teased Dave T above about owning 3% in the normal thread. Maybe not everyone has the same internal filter but in aggregate it must help keep the noise out of the lengthy short term thread. As for "having to read both", if it was one thread you would be reading the same content anyway, just in one thread.

Well, at the start of the new year, just don't restart this one, and only reboot the other one.

I think it was a good idea when it was created, but just not workable. It would be nice to have all the technical stuff on one and the chat in another, but every technical post generates some chatter, and its impossible to read in one thread and then chat about the post in another one.

I'm inclined to agree, although I do try to keep the substantive posts over in the Short-Term thread and the chat over here, but without doing undue violence to thread continuity. Nigel and I will kick this around some; one option would be to close both short-term threads at midnight on 12/31 and create a new Short-Term 2015 thread.

I wish there were a better format for replies, though; some are like talmudic marginalia that could enhance/comment upon the original text, while others are more substantive and start their own page in the Torah. Forum software really hasn't changed a great deal, at its core, since pre-Web days.

FWIW, I enjoy having the social thread separated. It is not the catch-all landing point for TSLA discussion that the other thread is, it does not come up as the first hit on a Google search like the general short-term thread does, and is less subject to a volume of posts that makes it almost unreadable at times. I particularly like being able to joke around here without feeling like I have derailed the main thread. My $0.02.

Forum software really hasn't changed a great deal, at its core, since pre-Web days.

Yes, but some concepts invented back then are worth preserving, such as SYSOPS and moderated discussion! :)

Obligatory nostalgia tangent incoming:

wildcat_bbs_screen.png

As a pathetically uneducated (perhaps less so since I've been lurking on the forum) long-term investor, it would be unlikely that I would ever post on the other 2 threads (Short-Term/Long Term), but I like that I have the option to post on a Social thread when my ratty old magic ruler and I do something like purchasing a few more shares last Monday through a GTC order with a trigger of 221.34... set in early September...

This post will quickly be buried and forgotten, but my inclination to post will have been satisfied, without littering the informational threads. :redface:

Happy Wednesday!