Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Mershaw 15, shorts 1"
That is a good point. I increased exposure to tesla today and feel like an idiot. I guess I'm starting to get that scared feeling again. Did you guys see Doug Kass's comment "imbalance sell at close"? He's indicating it will gap down tomorrow. now, honestly watching him struggle to find anything to send this stock down has been interesting, but this is finally getting to me.
i need a hug and a julian cox/curt renz/luvb post. Or maybe for the new people sleepyhead/davet/fluxcap long post. And I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that have been kind enough to share your thoughts in long posts that I just missed.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't we have good electric motorcycles??

It's difficult to time the market's digestion of the forward-looking analysis we talk about here. Timing it to coincide with our short and medium-term options plays is even harder. Sometimes you swing for the fences and miss (like I did in Q3), sometimes you hit a grand slam (like I did before the MS upgrade).

But the pace of Tesla's captivation of "everyday" investors and consumers continues unabated, and the analysts of the world have not been able to stop that train yet. Perhaps take heart in the hunch that your long-term holdings have an extremely high likelihood of increasing in value, and if you don't have many long-term Tesla holdings, it might be time to rebalance your portfolio from short to long-term plays, meaning LEAPS and stock.

Hope that helps some.

I guess I'm starting to get that scared feeling again. Did you guys see Doug Kass's comment "imbalance sell at close"? He's indicating it will gap down tomorrow. now, honestly watching him struggle to find anything to send this stock down has been interesting, but this is finally getting to me.
i need a hug and a julian cox/curt renz/luvb post. Or maybe for the new people sleepyhead/davet/fluxcap long post. And I'm sure there's a few more of you out there that have been kind enough to share your thoughts in long posts that I just missed.

You're scared because it closed down 0.18% after being under 210 a few days ago? We just withstood an infamous GS upgrade that people were terrified of a couple months ago. Profit-taking from the huge jump plus a lot of new shorts (e.g., Realist) and it pretty much held it's ground.

Well, bummed it didn't hold remotely near the opening price. I need things to get back to about $260 tomorrow to break even. Certainly possible, but after today's lackluster reception for the gigafactory, it doesn't look likely without a big analyst upgrade and I think all the big ones have already reported(?).

Sounds like I wasn't alone though and that several of us have weeklies that aren't likely to hit.

4. Model E: Savings versus Model S: 20% comes from the fact the car will be 20% smaller than the car and 30% from reduction in cost of battery pack; So 50% less than base
model S ($70K is the S; 35K is the base E)

First of all those reductions are for the battery pack, not the car as a whole, and second of all they are multiplicative, not additive. If you reduce the cost of something by 50% and then 50% again, it's not free, it's 1/4 of it's original price. In this case, the battery will be reduced by 44%, not 50%, if those percentages hold. I happen to think we'll see more than 30% cost reduction from the battery factory, because battery prices are going down and tech is increasing anyway, plus Tesla will gain additional benefit from economies of scale. But 30% is a good rough number. Also those are reductions just for the cells, not for other parts of the pack, which may or may not decrease similarly. So you can't just say "30 + 20 = 50" to explain that the car will cost half as much.

The goal will of course be to make the car cost half as much, and I'm sure they can make that goal. But that is not the math behind it.

- - - Updated - - -

What's scary is I've done some trades this last couple weeks and then had folks like sleepyhead post very similar thoughts. Either I'm getting better or you're all getting worse :)

When you said you had sold puts before earnings, it almost made me reconsider my bull put spread. But I didn't, and that worked, so high five?

So that's why my trades haven't worked out this week :tongue:

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be a maroon tomorrow. Oh well, at least I have some good company.

Seriously though, after this week I can't complain. Just one of my 205 weekly calls pays for my marooness.

Nothing like sitting on a beach in the Caribbean asking my wife if she's ok with me buying an international data plan for $30 so I can make us tens of thousands while sipping rum runners hoping we don't get sun burned too bad. :D

If you play your cards right, you can roll up and increase your net delta (with more contracts), while still taking some cash for avg in on pull backs. I'm in process of doing the same - rolling all J15 $250s to a mix of $300 and out to join my existing J16 (undecided on that strike but >$300)

Now that you've decide to roll to 2016 how do you decide it's a good time to perform the roll? Thanks in advance, I consider you the "LEAPS expert" ;)

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be a maroon tomorrow. Oh well, at least I have some good company.

Seriously though, after this week I can't complain. Just one of my 205 weekly calls pays for my marooness.

Nothing like sitting on a beach in the Caribbean asking my wife if she's ok with me buying an international data plan for $30 so I can make us tens of thousands while sipping rum runners hoping we don't get sun burned too bad. :D

Man you guys make me feel poor lol

Now that you've decide to roll to 2016 how do you decide it's a good time to perform the roll? Thanks in advance, I consider you the "LEAPS expert" ;)

After trying a few different ways, I've found the best time for roll-OUT is at local highs (after a big run-up that will at best cool and at worst move down before the next climb);
The reason for this is a bit multi-fold as follows, but it's based on the assumption you want to keep your long term bull at your selected Delta tracking range (keep in mind this is a stock-replacement long hold scenario):
I maintain a net delta stock tracking of 2000-2500 shares (with short excursions from this range). The LEAPS are generally OTM by a measure that predicts where the stock will be 3-6 months before expiration (I never carry LEAPS to expiration in this scenario)
1) After a run up if you anticipate TSLA will flatten or pull back, roll out (time) and up(strike) to stay within your tracking range. Since the stock has climbed into your strike early (hence the roll-out), your current Delta tracking will be at the top of your range. Moving contracts out and up will concurrently lower your Delta but stay within your range, and will also provide a precipitation of cash to boot.
2) You may not want to roll all of them, its a process. Evaluate the length of time remaining versus the next up cycle of events to capture some of that leverage. For example J15 will still capture very key up events between now and October (Mod X, GF design, and GENIII anticipation of Jan15 reveal). However, those J16s will also be more expensive by then, so a phased approach works best
3) The move in (1) has accomplished 4 things in a single move.
a) Maintains your bull stock(Delta track) in case the pullback never materializes
b) lowers your risk (given the expected pullback the right time to do that) because drop in TSLA will translate in a lower Delta track slowing the rate of loss
c) Your new J16 position won't lose as much in time value (relative to the J15s) while you wait for the next cycle and
and 4) It provides a cash position to use if the pull back is sufficient to warrant more purchase (or if not can simply move to the side or by a ModX)

If the stock has moved into my strike soon enough (as in this case), I will couple this with both a roll-OUT and a roll-UP. I'm currently doing both (J15 $250s are joining existing J15 $300 as well as to J16 $350 and higher). The roll UP does similar as above. I'll keep the same net Delta and generate cash for the next cycle which will occur well before Oct13 imo, again concurrently reducing exposure to the pullback (Delta tracking accelerates away from the higher strike on the pullback). At the same time, when you reach end of year, those J16 will be pricey compared to now assuming the stock has moved, so I always keep both a time and strike spread- always a balance (in this case J15 and J16). I have spreadsheet that tracks the net Delta range as well as the % in J15 vs J16- currently moving that from 60%/40% to 40%/60%

Anyway- no doubt more than you wanted to hear by LEAPS n Bounds ;)

Last edited:
Anyway- no doubt more than you wanted to hear by LEAPS n Bounds ;)
Let's just say more than I expected but exactly what I desired! Thanks so much!! I'm going to be busy with a new job this summer and won't be able to track my stocks as much so wanted to start doing a LEAPS stock replacement type strategy so am thinking about setting something like this up. Thanks again!

Is anyone considering selling stock? Im not an options trader and im getting a little nervous with this high valuation, but there seems to be more good news coming too. If i sell it will only be 13% of my position.

Yes, I am. Being up hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of a week or two, even without playing weeklies (grrr, what an idiot, I told myself I wouldn't miss out on the next obvious opportunity and then I did....). Which is why I'm feeling somewhat comfortable with selling covered calls, because I'm already considering selling a little stock. I would sell some LEAPs but they're all short-term held for me, so I would sort of want to sell stock.

That said, I've been trying to think of ways to minimize my taxes on these, and I decided that ~50k/yr of realized long term capital gains is about optimal for tax purposes (only paying ~5-8% total if that's all of my income for the year, plus having the utility of the money and whatnot), as long as I think the stock isn't going anywhere significantly down from here. Given that we've just had an offering, I feel fairly comfortable at this price for a little bit.

So if I *did* sell shares, I would probably sell about 200 of them. Or 300 just so I have a nice even number....but I would likely also replace them with a few LEAPs or spreads or something (the ~400/500 '16 LEAP was trading for about 10 bucks today).

edit: kenliles, since you just wrote a big post up there, what do you think of that plan I just mentioned? Selling stock and replacing it with some optimistic, but cheap, and still highly profitable in the best case, spreads? Maybe it would be better after a bit of consolidation, but I feel like we have a better than 10% chance of hitting 500 by 2016, so...

Last edited:
Is anyone considering selling stock? Im not an options trader and im getting a little nervous with this high valuation, but there seems to be more good news coming too. If i sell it will only be 13% of my position.

I consider myself a very very very short-term investor/trader and I only trade in common shares so I've been in and out of TSLA many times. The last time I bought was when TSLA was at 169 one month ago and held since. I originally thought TSLA would go no higher than 220 after ER and planned my exit for it but anything on top was gravy. Well we're in the 250s, that's a lot of gravy. After doing some charting, I'm looking to hold and see if TSLA can climb up to the 270s in the coming weeks but I'm prepared to pull out at any signs of trouble.

I sold around half my shares at $255, but I'm still uncertain if that was the right move. The gigafactory news is bigger than I expected, long-term. Long-term, I definitely want to be in on it. Morgan Stanley are onto something. It could also be worth taking a look at Tesla's partners for the factory, if they aren't bought to crazy levels by others immediately after the announcement.

I'm not selling a single stock for years to come. I think anyone selling now to try and time the dips is taking a big gamble. TSLA will keep going up because for every day that goes more people realize the enormous impact Tesla will have and every day new investors will want to have a piece of that cake. I honestly think Tesla will be one of the biggest, if not the biggest company in the world eventually. My money is with Musk first and foremost, wherever he goes my money will follow. I think that Musks involvement and presence is itself the greatest catalyst for Tesla and I am sure many people will reason like I do, to put their money with Musk. People are tired of greedy, power hungry CEO's who first and foremost only care about lining their pockets and/or the shareholders pockets. Musk, as everyone here knows, is selflessly working for the better of humanity and I think this is the greatest catalyst for TSLA.

As I am writing this I come to think about something my mother said the other day. I convinced her to buy shares in Tesla a couple of years ago, and prior to this she knew nothing about stocks and/or finance or cars etc, she was totally uninterested. However, the success Tesla has had sparked a little interest and the other day she watched an interview with Elon on Youtube. The first and only thing she mentioned was how much she liked him, how honest and humble he is. She got a sense that Elon just wants to help mankind. There are countless beings who will want to pour their money on someone like Musk, for the sole reason that they trust him.