Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how "reachable" the P85D is outside of the top 5% or so. I'm a senior software engineer, which is around the top 15% mark in income, and it's far beyond my range. The original P85 was probably 30-40k outside the highest range I could afford and only happened because of a death in the family funneling about that amount my way.

It's the D's enhancements of the lower end that I think have a lot more value. Better handling, better range, better performance for an affordable price. It's a good omen for what's to come in the X and 3.

120k for what you are getting is really quite a good price. But yeah it is still out of reach for most people. I can't wait to see the price and performance of the top level of the model 3

A colleague of mine bought a second hand Maseratti a couple yeras ago. She didn't keep it long: reliability was an issue. And every visit to the garage was an absolute pain.
Not even talking about supercars, but about high end cars (911's and equivalent): there are plenty of mechanical issues that when out of warranty make those cars affordable to buy, but horrible to own.
Here in Belgium, you start by paying huge taxes, huge insurance premiums and the fuel is 1,7€ per liter...
So yes, I could offer myself a 2nd hand Panamera, but I would have to pay 5000€ to put it on the road, another yearly fee of 2100€, insurances of more than 2000€ and pay a lot for fuel.
What is remarkable now is what Tesla offers: supercar performance, high end price but very affordable operating cost.

Last edited:
A colleague of mine bought a second hand Maseratti a couple yeras ago. She didn't keep it long: reliability was an issue. And every visit to the garage was an absolute pain.
Not even talking about supercars, but about high end cars (911's and equivalent): there are plenty of mechanical issues that when out of warranty make those cars affordable to buy, but horrible to own.
Here in Belgium, you start by paying huge taxes, huge insurance premiums and the fuel is 1,7€ per liter...
So yes, I could offer myself a 2nd hand Panamera, but I would have to pay 5000€ to put it on the road, another yearly fee of 2100€, insurances of more than 2000€ and pay a lot for fuel.
What is remarkable now is what Tesla offers: supercar performance, high end price but very affordable operating cost.
a car dealer once asked what other car i was considering buying. as a joke i said a maseratti. he said "those Italian sports cars are like supermodels. Beautiful but very unreliable"

Any talk of autonomous car racing? I'm guessing the P85D would be a real beast in an unmanned contest. 0-60 in 3.0 seconds, perhaps, if no driver. This comes in handy when you need to summon it.

I like the way you think! Imagine having overslept and being late for work: throw on some clothes, open the app and summon the car in "insane" mode - look out the window and watch it driving out the garage and up to your door at full throttle :)

looking for some advice, i have basically my downpayment in the form of TSLA shares at the moment, down a decent amount. Will have to sell the shares in mid-november to pay for the car. Should i just bail now or ride it out for another month and hope to regain at least some of my losses? How would you guys work this scenario? just trying to pick some brains here. thanks

looking for some advice, i have basically my downpayment in the form of TSLA shares at the moment, down a decent amount. Will have to sell the shares in mid-november to pay for the car. Should i just bail now or ride it out for another month and hope to regain at least some of my losses? How would you guys work this scenario? just trying to pick some brains here. thanks

Funds needed in the near future should not be invested in equity's especially a high beta stock.

I don't have advice for whato to do as I am not a licensed financial advisor. I will just say that Jesse Livermoore (fictitious character) Mentioned that wanting to use the profit to buy a specific item, is the worst reason for buying stocks. It has a lot to do with your emotional state of mind.

I do believe that we have the potential, as of now, to rally above the $240 area in anticipation of Q3 release. Of course, if the stock breaks the 200-day/40-week support, then we could head down to $200, at which point, I believe even a report that is in line with expectations with some positive words of future growth (being on track with Model X) should be enough to bring us back where we are. Therefore, if you don't need to sell shares until mid-november, then I believe that you should hold on till then. The upside is we hit $240s between now and then, and you will get 10% more. The worst case scenario I see playing out is we go down to ~$200-$205 and you take a small hit, but the stock recovers as long term investors add more either prior to Q3 or after the Q3 CC in which case you should be able to get ~$220/share at that time anyway.

I don't have advice for whato to do as I am not a licensed financial advisor. I will just say that Jesse Livermoore (fictitious character) Mentioned that wanting to use the profit to buy a specific item, is the worst reason for buying stocks. It has a lot to do with your emotional state of mind.

However, if Jesse made a big profit on TSLA, it makes absolute sense for Jesse to then say "I can now buy one of these things!"

We do seem to be holding up pretty well. Bouncing off $218. Hopefully we don't break that line. I don't see us moving up too much in the next couple of weeks, but breaking $218 might hurt if it happens.

Anyone buying any 2016 LEAPS? Strikes?
I am DCA on 2016 250 LEAPS as I am not sure of the bottom but am convinced in a year plus we will be in much better shape. Holding bulk of remaining cash for post ER for 2017 LEAPS/stock.

I picked up some Mar'15 235 calls yesterday and Jan'16 220 calls today. I think the market is over-reacting in general and under-reacting to Tesla news re the D, China, and storage.

I got some Jan 15 270s calls and some Jan 16 200 calls today. Unfortunately didn't time well intraday.

As Robert said, market is overreacting. It often does. Ebola incurred mini crash is rediculous.
OTOH difficult to know how long this will be going on. To be safe you should be in stocks (I am for my core investment). Hope these calls turn out good and I can buy more stocks.

Last edited: