Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't make out like a bandit but I did manage to make some money, and my strategy was heavily leaning towards a gap up.

I learned a lot from this week and I think I might have a new strategy for playing events like this. Had the stock recovered well today (still has that potential but I very highly doubt it) I would have made out like an army of bandits for no risk after I finished my trades this morning. Right now the stock is at its worst possible place for the trades I made today yet I still made money. At the end of the day I will post my new strategy in the advanced options thread.

I think collectively with the strategies many of us had for the day we could really fine tune some nice plays based on similar price action.

Don't hesitate to post those strategies here also Shadows!

I didn't make out like a bandit but I did manage to make some money, and my strategy was heavily leaning towards a gap up.

I learned a lot from this week and I think I might have a new strategy for playing events like this. Had the stock recovered well today (still has that potential but I very highly doubt it) I would have made out like an army of bandits for no risk after I finished my trades this morning. Right now the stock is at its worst possible place for the trades I made today yet I still made money. At the end of the day I will post my new strategy in the advanced options thread.

I think collectively with the strategies many of us had for the day we could really fine tune some nice plays based on similar price action.

My experience is with events like this, you get the results 2-3 weeks out.
As a Model X reservation holder I was hoping for a view of the X, but when I saw the D :cool:, and knew that was the platform of the X, just with only another shell, my belief was kept in place.
I bought 2 x '16 200calls and 2 x '16 250 calls today, and will buy more, if price goes down :smile:

The media/market is irrational. I am holding some March 2015 and January 2016 calls. Once I have sold these I will only add to my shares. While I am certain Tesla will be successful long term, I am convinced the media will never give Tesla nor Elon Musk an objective accounting.

I am curious if anyone has a case for a decent rise before the Q3ER? Decent rise being back to the $260 level pre ER. I don't unless we get a large positive catalyst (model X reveal, preannouncement of beat on guidance). I see us in the 230-240 range unless we get a big catalyst and with the factory not being up to full capacity as quickly as TM predicted (hoped for?) I don't see a 'beat' on guidance for Q3.

I an hoping someone can see a way back to ATH before the model X reveal which may be late into Q4 or early Q1 2015. I am a long term bull but short term I am just hoping we hold 230-240 up to Q3 ER and hoping we don't need the support of the 200 DMA after the ER/CC.

The media/market is irrational. I am holding some March 2015 and January 2016 calls. Once I have sold these I will only add to my shares. While I am certain Tesla will be successful long term, I am convinced the media will never give Tesla nor Elon Musk an objective accounting.
I think you're right, and my suspicion is that it's mainly because of two things.

The first is that Elon Musk is bound to make some people, some of whom are media people, very uncomfortable. The sheer outrageousness of his stated goals, combined with the gall of making continuing progress towards them, makes people react very strongly to him and his enterprises. Just think about it: fully electric transportation? Solar energy on a continental scale? Reusable rockets 10 times cheaper? Colonies on freaking Mars?? Just who does this guy think he is to believe he can upend the natural order of things, just like that?

Not everyone can withstand their core assumptions being challenged to such a violent extent, and not have their inflated sense of self shattered to pieces ("How can he possibly do all that in a single lifetime? What have I done with my life?").

The other thing, which is more mundane, is that Tesla doesn't spend on advertising. So, if you work in the media and you are one of those people who can't stand (and understand) Elon Musk, and you don't see a dime from Tesla while you get quite a few nickels from GM and Ford, how is your program/editorial/news report going to look like? The same goes for the stock analysts, politicians, etc.

In other words, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it." (Upton Sinclair)

Last edited:
I think you're right, and my suspicion is that it's mainly because of two things.

The first is that Elon Musk is bound to make some people, some of whom are media people, very uncomfortable. The sheer outrageousness of his stated goals, combined with the gall of making continuing progress towards them, makes people react very strongly to him and his enterprises. Just think about it: fully electric transportation? Solar energy on a continental scale? Reusable rockets 10 times cheaper? Colonies on freaking Mars?? Just who does this guy think he is to believe he can upend the natural order of things, just like that?

Not everyone can withstand their core assumptions being challenged to such a violent extent, and not have their inflated sense of self shattered to pieces ("How can he possibly do all that in a single lifetime? What have I done with my life?").

The other thing, which is more mundane, is that Tesla doesn't spend on advertising. So, if you work in the media and you are one of those people who can't stand (and understand) Elon Musk, and you don't see a dime from Tesla while you get quite a few nickels from GM and Ford, how is your program/editorial/news report going to look like? The same goes for the stock analysts, politicians, etc.

In other words, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it." (Upton Sinclair)

Familial, this is a superb and eloquent explanation of what I would call the socio-cultural impact of Tesla Motors on an unprepared global audience. The world literally is underprepared to comprehend the revolution taking place.

I now view it as a core mission in my life to help them along that path, and I hope all of us here continue to help our fellow earthlings understand that these changes are not only possible, they are wonderful, beneficial, and necessary.

Agree with you that Elon might be making many people uncomfortable. It is much easier to dismiss him as 'snake salesman' than to recognize his courage in daring to have a go and try to achieve impossible goals. Elon gets called many outrageous names for no reason at all except for doing his job. Many times I am concerned for him for attracting so much jealousy or whatever that is, not sure.

In comparison to Tesla and EM, Google founders, LP and SB, have much more money, power and a grip on the world like no other company ever had, jet they do not attract similar attention, interest or passion.

I think TSLA is down most because the market is down and momo stocks' ups and downs are magnified. TSLA is going along for the ride as it often does. Hopefully the market will rebound soon and then we will see TSLA back up again. If the market was bullish, last night's reveals would have been good for a boost I think as people would have looking for a reason to buy. Now they are looking for a reason to sell.

Agree with you that Elon might be making many people uncomfortable. It is much easier to dismiss him as 'snake salesman' than to recognize his courage in daring to have a go and try to achieve impossible goals. Elon gets called many outrageous names for no reason at all except for doing his job. Many times I am concerned for him for attracting so much jealousy or whatever that is, not sure.

In comparison to Tesla and EM, Google founders, LP and SB, have much more money, power and a grip on the world like no other company ever had, jet they do not attract similar attention, interest or passion.

I agree, but Sergei and Larry would give their money to Elon lol

Now I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I got in near the lows at 236 and seeing as to how we closed near the lows I'm not so sure of a rise on Monday anymore and couldn't decide whether to keep the stock till Monday or get rid of it so I placed an after-hours order to sell if it came above 237.. which would mean I'd hold it till Monday if the stock does not rise in the after market.. and lo and behold it filled the order around 7:30pm so I am back to cash. Bummer. Good luck to all the other longs holding through the weekend in these market conditions... I'd probably regret this sell order come monday :crying:

Now I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I got in near the lows at 236 and seeing as to how we closed near the lows I'm not so sure of a rise on Monday anymore and couldn't decide whether to keep the stock till Monday or get rid of it so I placed an after-hours order to sell if it came above 237.. which would mean I'd hold it till Monday if the stock does not rise in the after market.. and lo and behold it filled the order around 7:30pm so I am back to cash. Bummer. Good luck to all the other longs holding through the weekend in these market conditions... I'd probably regret this sell order come monday :crying:

I'm at a loss for what happens Monday? Either we keep trading sliwly down to maybe even below 230 or we gap up. I put in some cheap skate Jan15 OTM call buy orders that didn't fill yesterday. Wonder if I'll regret that too...

The more I think about it, the more the setup was obvious.
-EM saying stock a bit high
-The stock, as the market, was in a down trend
-The tweet gave a bit of fresh air, but assumptions were high (X reveal in some minds)
-EM negating X reveal and saying that what was about to be revealed was not going to be perceived at its just value
Perfect setup for a buy on the rumor, sell on the news.
Magnified by the market nosedive.

I still fear that we might continue down to the 200 dma, then we would be in real trouble if we'd go lower than that. Nevertheless, there could be any surprise (a tweet about X) that could come any time to surprise us and reverse the trend?

I remember a bit more than a year ago, after the fires and the bad press how so many of us were douting and were seeing the stock spiraling down. Eventually it came back alive and kicking.
What do we need to regain full confidence?
A good Q3 (not a beat, but on track)
Good outlook for Q4
And positive news on the X...

As for the latest news: the P85D is, for me, a whole new car. It's a supercar, much more than the P85 was. How many sedans have 691 hp? And what is the massive torque?
The whole offer (the range of cars) got better for both the costumer and the company.
It will take a while for people to realize, but when they do, it will be reflected in sp.
People don't realize yet what the better effiecinecy for AWD means and the autopilot as Tesla is offering it is a better thing than what competition has.(adapting to speed limit, lane changing, who has that?!)
All in all, I think long term, better than ever, and the next Q3, Q4 and X reveal are crucial...
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
I'm at a loss for what happens Monday? Either we keep trading sliwly down to maybe even below 230 or we gap up. I put in some cheap skate Jan15 OTM call buy orders that didn't fill yesterday. Wonder if I'll regret that too...
If the price drops, I buy more calls (though I'm running thin on investment cash).
If the price rises a little, I take some profits on calls from Friday.
If the price rises a lot, I liquidate all my calls and wait for the next drop.

Oh, right, you were asking what the market will do. Not sure. :)

- - - Updated - - -

As for the latest news: the P85D is, for me, a whole new car. It's a supercar, much more than the P85 was. How many sedans have 691 hp? And what is the massive torque?
The whole offer (the range of cars) got better for both the costumer and the company.
It will take a while for people to realize, but when they do, it will be reflected in sp.
People don't realize yet what the better effiecinecy for AWD means and the autopiot is a good thing.
All in all, I think long term, better than ever, and the next Q3, Q4 and X reveal are crucial...
Just my 2 cents!
Quoted for context. My perception is that when people use the word "supercar" they are describing a vehicle that "outperforms" what "the common man" can afford. They put it on magazine covers and other pedestals. And the average joe, and his kid with the posters in his room, dream about somehow driving one but never being able to buy it.

When people label the P85D a supercar, they are (IMO) including that "out of your reach" aspect and it's wrong. I'm not saying it's a cheap car. But it's not a $500K car that has a limited production run, only available in select markets "if you know a guy", etc.

In short, P85D is better than a supercar because it is reachable -- and will be an outstanding daily driver. It's not a car to park in the garage on a pedestal.

I don't think the press, much less the non-TMC individual investor, is anywhere close to fully grasping the importance of the announcement.

"In short, P85D is better than a supercar because it is reachable -- and will be an outstanding daily driver. It's not a car to park in the garage on a pedestal."

You are actually right, it's got some attributes of supercars, but has some better attributes indeed!

"In short, P85D is better than a supercar because it is reachable -- and will be an outstanding daily driver. It's not a car to park in the garage on a pedestal."

You are actually right, it's got some attributes of supercars, but has some better attributes indeed!

IMO now the Model S D is the best car in the world (as it was in Elon's intention). Only ventilated/cooled seats needed IMO.

I don't know how "reachable" the P85D is outside of the top 5% or so. I'm a senior software engineer, which is around the top 15% mark in income, and it's far beyond my range. The original P85 was probably 30-40k outside the highest range I could afford and only happened because of a death in the family funneling about that amount my way.

It's the D's enhancements of the lower end that I think have a lot more value. Better handling, better range, better performance for an affordable price. It's a good omen for what's to come in the X and 3.