Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So with Elon Repeatedly saying how adding a second motor improves efficiency...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're talking about future cars...

Do you think the entire Tesla automotive product line going forward will have dual motor at least as an option? My gut is Model3 yes, Roadster yes, Truck maybe.

Yes. AWD is an important market component so the platforms will need to support it. I could only think that compacts or smaller could be constrained enough to have difficulty fitting the AWD and I think Tesla will leave smaller, cheaper cars to other manufacturers.

- - - Updated - - -

If 2 motors give better efficiency than 1, why not go all the way to 4 motors, separate one for each wheel ? They could all be smaller of course, giving the same total power output, but allowing even finer tuning and optimization to improve cornering where the inner and outer wheels need to turn with slightly different speeds.

A key part of gain with dual-motor comes from have different gearing on the front and rear. It effectively gives the car a 2-speed transmission. They could do 4 motors, but it wouldn't be for efficiency.