Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How To Setup Charge on Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to get Charge on Solar working? Even with what we think is the correct setup, our car always charges to the max.

These are the steps we went through to set up our Model 3:

In Model 3 settings:
1) Click the three horizontal bars under Charging
2) Click on "Charge on Solar"
3) In the next screen, we set Charge to 40% from any source and Charge to 90% while excess solar is available.
4) Under "Available Solar" at the bottom, the Powerwall/gateway we want to charge off solar says "Unpair" (meaning it should be paired already). Note that we have three options here as we have three Tesla gateways, one at this property where we want to charge off solar and two others at another property where we are currently not trying to charge off solar (although we may want to in the future). We have not paired the Model 3 with the gateways at the other property.
5) Under "Schedule" - we turned off all settings under "Departure" and "Charge".

In Powerwall Settings:
1) Click "Settings"
2) Click "Vehicle Charging"
3) Setting says 75% for Home Use and 25% to share with vehicle (this should only be for grid outage situations)
4) Under "Charge on Solar", there is a little white car and to the right it says "Paired >" (meaning this should be paired as well)

When we plug the Model 3 in to charge (during non-peak midday), the car will ramp up and pull a full 48 amps regardless, thereby consuming whatever excess solar we are producing along with pulling the rest from the grid. We have about a 12 kW solar system, and it typically runs well above 1.2 kW during the day (but not as high as the car can charge).

A couple things about our setup that might be different from a more standard setup:
(a) We have two of the original "Elon Musk Limited Edition High Power Wall Chargers" in series (so we can charge two Tesla's at once - our other car is a 2014 Model S not capable of Charge on Solar at the moment). Only one car was plugged into one HPWC when I have done the testing.
(b) We have solar/battery set up at two properties (and the second property has two gateways because we had to split our 400 amp service into two 200 amp gateways)
(c) The Model 3 "Home" address in the navigation system is currently not set to the address where we are attempting to charge on solar. This car is usually at our other address where we have the two gateway setup. Could this make a difference? If so, then is there a workaround to get the Charge on Solar to work at both addresses because we can't have two "Home" addresses programmed into the car's navigation system.

Other than the above, I have no idea why this won't work.

We basically would like it to work this way: plug the car in with setting set to "Charge on Solar", then when the sun comes up in the morning, we would like to charge the batteries first (from the energy used during peak time from the day before), and then charge the car on whatever excess solar we have once the batteries are charged (which would have previously been sent back to the grid) until we hit peak time. If the car hasn't fully charged when we reach peak time, we would like to send all solar back to the grid (and stop vechicle charging because this is when we get the most credits), then resume charging the car next day after the sun comes up and the batteries are charged. Rinse and repeat.

Not sure if this is how the system is supposed to work,, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send screenshots, if needed.

Has anyone been able to get Charge on Solar working? Even with what we think is the correct setup, our car always charges to the max.

These are the steps we went through to set up our Model 3:

In Model 3 settings:
1) Click the three horizontal bars under Charging
2) Click on "Charge on Solar"
3) In the next screen, we set Charge to 40% from any source and Charge to 90% while excess solar is available.
4) Under "Available Solar" at the bottom, the Powerwall/gateway we want to charge off solar says "Unpair" (meaning it should be paired already). Note that we have three options here as we have three Tesla gateways, one at this property where we want to charge off solar and two others at another property where we are currently not trying to charge off solar (although we may want to in the future). We have not paired the Model 3 with the gateways at the other property.
5) Under "Schedule" - we turned off all settings under "Departure" and "Charge".

In Powerwall Settings:
1) Click "Settings"
2) Click "Vehicle Charging"
3) Setting says 75% for Home Use and 25% to share with vehicle (this should only be for grid outage situations)
4) Under "Charge on Solar", there is a little white car and to the right it says "Paired >" (meaning this should be paired as well)

When we plug the Model 3 in to charge (during non-peak midday), the car will ramp up and pull a full 48 amps regardless, thereby consuming whatever excess solar we are producing along with pulling the rest from the grid. We have about a 12 kW solar system, and it typically runs well above 1.2 kW during the day (but not as high as the car can charge).

A couple things about our setup that might be different from a more standard setup:
(a) We have two of the original "Elon Musk Limited Edition High Power Wall Chargers" in series (so we can charge two Tesla's at once - our other car is a 2014 Model S not capable of Charge on Solar at the moment). Only one car was plugged into one HPWC when I have done the testing.
(b) We have solar/battery set up at two properties (and the second property has two gateways because we had to split our 400 amp service into two 200 amp gateways)
(c) The Model 3 "Home" address in the navigation system is currently not set to the address where we are attempting to charge on solar. This car is usually at our other address where we have the two gateway setup. Could this make a difference? If so, then is there a workaround to get the Charge on Solar to work at both addresses because we can't have two "Home" addresses programmed into the car's navigation system.

Other than the above, I have no idea why this won't work.

We basically would like it to work this way: plug the car in with setting set to "Charge on Solar", then when the sun comes up in the morning, we would like to charge the batteries first (from the energy used during peak time from the day before), and then charge the car on whatever excess solar we have once the batteries are charged (which would have previously been sent back to the grid) until we hit peak time. If the car hasn't fully charged when we reach peak time, we would like to send all solar back to the grid (and stop vechicle charging because this is when we get the most credits), then resume charging the car next day after the sun comes up and the batteries are charged. Rinse and repeat.

Not sure if this is how the system is supposed to work,, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I can send screenshots, if needed.
Try setting a schedule in the vehicle that schedules charging after your peak period ends (e.g. 9pm or whenever it is on your rate plan). This will prevent it from grid charging unless the SOC is below your setting (40%) and it is after 9pm. Then it should be able to start COS once you have excess solar during the day. Powerwall should be on TBC plan with peak set so that COS stops when your peak period begins.

Reactions: miimura
Try setting a schedule in the vehicle that schedules charging after your peak period ends (e.g. 9pm or whenever it is on your rate plan). This will prevent it from grid charging unless the SOC is below your setting (40%) and it is after 9pm. Then it should be able to start COS once you have excess solar during the day. Powerwall should be on TBC plan with peak set so that COS stops when your peak period begins.
I don't know if the schedule is a necessary condition, but I do have a Charge Start timer set for 12:15am on our Model 3. Charge on Solar always worked for me. The only thing that is not ideal sometimes is the car charging before the Powerwalls. I would prefer that the car never charge until the Powerwalls are at 100%.

I don't know if the schedule is a necessary condition, but I do have a Charge Start timer set for 12:15am on our Model 3. Charge on Solar always worked for me. The only thing that is not ideal sometimes is the car charging before the Powerwalls. I would prefer that the car never charge until the Powerwalls are at 100%.
I've never had it start charging before the Powerwall was full. But is often waits after the Powerwall is full to begin, usually until the next 30 minute mark (e.g. on the hour or half-hour) unless I wake up the car before then. And it always stops when my peak period starts, regardless if it got to the vehicle charge limit. I have a TBC plan with just peak and off-peak periods.

This is my ideal Charge On Solar:
ChgOnSolar_Ideal_IMG_2522.jpg

This is the non-ideal case. I had to turn down the car charging to allow the PWs to charge. My wife ended up taking the car out anyway, so I could have just let it charge the car first, then charge the PWs after the car was unplugged.

ChgOnSolar_non-Ideal_IMG_2523.jpg

For me, charge on solar generally takes precedence over charging the Powerwalls. I'm GUESSING that Tesla takes amount of solar, historical usage to try come up with an "optimal" strategy.

I don't have any schedules.

This week I had issues where our Y was having trouble "connecting" to the Powerwall. I ended disable Charge on Solar and re-enabling. Seems to have fixed it for now.

I unpaired and then repaired the system with the car again, and I was prompted to set up everything again. I noticed that the default geographic location where Tesla thought our powerwalls were located was several miles off, so I moved the pin to the correct location, finished repairing, and all seems to be working now. Pretty neat!

The car is about half charged at the moment, so we'll see if the system is smart enough to stop charging the car when we hit peak time to send all excess solar back to the grid so we can get our credits.

Does anyone know why this feature is not available for 2012-2020 Model S and 2015-2020 Model X's? And/or if and/or when it might be available for these vehicles?