Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gas guzzlers need to be driven out of the market first. Ludicrous speed and the Model X are strategic hits into gas guzzler territory. This is how I see Tesla driving sustainable transport.

This is an interesting point. Haven't thought through the dynamics of how it would actually play out, but would seem to make sense at first glance that driving the ICE auto industry downmarket where it can escape direct price competition from EVs will favor small-engined ICE and displace the production of the largest gas-guzzlers first. EV is definitely the cheapest way to develop large amounts of power and for a while at least ICE and gasoline would appear to be cheapest way in absolute terms to make an affordable and fully functional car.

Worst than that.. they actively screwed the electrification movement in many obvious and non-obvious ways. The biggest non-obvious way is Nissan and Mitsubishi's insistence on using CHAdeMO in the U.S. It was readily apparent that 200 amp DC EVSE's were an evolutionary dead end, even in 2009. These companies all pay futurists to project what things could/should/would be like 5, 10, 20 years into the future. Clearly long range battery electric vehicles would need 300-400 amp DC charging at real world rates above 100 kW for reasonably road trip cadence. Further, they all have read the various papers on mass electrification and what that means for the grid. The obvious conclusion is that long range BEVs would have to charge from the grid at off peak times in order to even out the duck curve and avoid loading up the grid at inopportune times. They can all calculate how much battery would be necessary to drive 200+ miles (55-60 kWh for a small sedan, 80+ kWh for a SUV) and how long that would take to charge overnight - 8.25 kW for 60 kWh in 8 hours. That means J1772 standard amperage needs to be 40 amps to cover that most common use case. As the electrification movement went further, obviously the J1772 standard would have needed to be extended to at least 60A.

Therefore, CHAdeMO should never have been introduced to the U.S. They could have gotten together with GM, VAG, Ford, and others to hammer out a real 400A L3 charging standard in 2010. But no, they didn't. Further, SAE/GM/Ford/VAG went on to establish a CCS standard that was also woefully inadequate. Anyone that looked at the long term consequences and needs for electrification would have seen what is necessary and Tesla did just that. There is a reason why the single on-board charger was 40A at the start. There's a reason why Superchargers started at 90 kWh and wiring was designed for over 300A.

By introducing half-assed, half-baked products that they really didn't want to build, they could stall a movement that they didn't really want in the first place. Or at least, electrification would have taken far longer and relegated to a small eco-niche. It would have gone according to plan if not for Tesla.

Listening to Goshn speak recently was an interesting experience. His concept for electrification revolves around government action to force electrification on all existing auto industry players simultaneously (moving the goalposts of the global entrenched auto industry competition in lock-step in a game of musical chairs where everyone gets to keep their chair) whereby Nissan would be more ready for that than the next guy.

Of course the problem with that is that technology, Tesla and his customers won't wait for that to happen and hence his ICE vehicles and his industry will be exposed to direct competition from EVs which was clearly never part of his plan or world-view at all.

on topic: this thread itself

Thanks for biting. I waited a bit for you to collect some likes. It may surprise you that there's a like from me!
It's a win-win, you see, because if you get your likes for the disliking me, then I will get fewer dislikes.

Now in all seriousness, in reply to you, I have the opportunity to make a few points relevant to this thread.
Skip to number 12. right now if short on time...the rest just had to be stated, in case you want to understand.

1. I hated posting my ideas in this thread, but it was the de-facto 'go-to' 'catch all'-thread for investors' discussions.
2. I also hate hiding behind a wombat persona. If it is laboured, tedious and not funny for you, it is much worse for me!
3. You may have noticed that I only use the wombat thing when I am saying something knowingly outrageous. I speak thru my normal persona when I want to be taken (more) seriously. And..
4. I have a very good reason for using this wombat device. It is a differentiator between expertise and non-expertise.
5. The majority of posters here are experts (business, financial, tech, etc).
6. I am not an expert. But I am an investor. I think many guest readers are not experts. Spare a thought for them.
7. A reference to Sleepyhead came up today in the Forum (DaveT Megapost thread). He passed himself off as an expert a few years ago, then drew many followers to another (mainly) solar forum "The Contrarian Investor".
8. Sleepyhead's "expertise" over-excited many investors to buy GTAT which later collapsed into a black hole, losing the unsophisticated investors, who put too much weight on Sleepyheads commentary, a pile of money, judging by the wailing in that forum in the aftermath.
9. I would feel awful if anybody became over-excited and made a losing bet on my outrageous fantasy scenario.
10. Hence the clumsy differentiator....I hate it too. I'm not burning to say anything that whacky again, so I don't need to use it.
11. If some decide to comment in the "What if ..." thread I started, well they already know it's whacky so I can use my normal persona in discussion...a huge relief to me, I can assure you.

12. With the above explanations out of the way, sorry but they had to be stated, you give me an opportunity to make a small observation (this is why I gave you a like!) that may be of interest to a few readers, and I admit probably very few.
13. Your post quoted above is instructive because it tells me you are not one of them... dismissive of my ridiculousness.
14 It tells me that you are 100% certain that no mini-powerall plug and play type product will come with M3.
15 I can tell you that I am almost 100% certain that you are right!
16 But here's the thing. If the unlikely occurs, an investor might want to pause to weigh up the consequences.
17 The consequences of this outlier scenario are so enormous (IMHO) that it should be weighted accordingly.
18. You seem sure you are right. I am almost sure you are right...which leads on to how I think (sorry but I need to say it)...
19. I find it instructive to imagine starting always from the extremes, the absurdities, to see if there might be any truth to discover when the decks have been swept clear of "received wisdom" if you like. If my idea survives that genesis, and it excites me sufficiently, I will try to knock it down with knowledge dug from within my own little universe. If that hasn't killed it, I will solicit the opinion of those more expert than myself. In that spirit I posted comments.
20. There are many off topic discussions in the short term thread, much of it very interesting but too ephemeral to survive in a thread of its own, catalysed by prolific posters, such as Julian who is very valuable in agreements and disagreements.
21. My outlier of an idea is perhaps on topic (I think you enjoy 100% certainty so its off topic to you). Not to worry, it is ephemeral too, so it will be gone by the weekend. But because its consequences are so massively out of proportion to its likelihood, some readers may want to run it thru their minds... just in case. I won't comment on that subject in this thread again (only in my What if... thread. Anyone want to bite?).

Final salute: Try to imagine on April 01, a human (that you can't see but is somewhere in SW England) who will almost certainly be doubled up, bowing (Japanese style, when the deepest humility must shown) to your greater knowledge and wisdom when it comes to trying to understand the so far unpublicised parts of the secret master plan as it relates to TSLA.

Peace to you Tenable and to all the givers of your likes (I'm one of them).

Actually, I think a ton of posters here are not experts in business/financial/tech when they first came here. I know for sure I'm not one. What has made TMC a great resource for Tesla owners, fans, and TSLA investors is people are sharing either actual news or articulated ideas based on recent news or publicly known facts. And the purpose of this specific thread, as it's title says, is for short-term TSLA price movements. IMO, none of us will find it annoying if from time to time if the discussion in this thread stretched a little off topic (news on Gigafactory and other stuff that are not strictly short-term, or global equity turmoil/plunging oil that are not super strictly TSLA price movement). However, these excursions have been short. What I personally feel frustrated regarding to this thread is recently 80%+ of the words are not related to the purpose of this thread at all. In fact, I have to ignore a few people to make this thread readable for me.

With all due respect, I recommend you start threads outside this one for your mostly speculative ideas like you did for the "buy a model 3, get a powerwall free" one.

Morgan Stanley's Adam Jonas weighing in ahead of Model 3 launch: argues that the Model 3 launch follows more the traditional automotive model (speeds and feats) versus being truly disruptive. According to him, the role of Tesla in a future of transportation-as-a-service enabled by autonomous driving capabilities remains to be seen, as new players (Apple, Google) and even existing ones (e.g. Mercedes Benz) are all eyeing to create that future.

"The world awaits details of style, features, performance and pricing of Tesla’s most affordable model. But we think the significance of the Model 3 will ultimately prove out in how the machine fits into an emerging shared, autonomous public transport ecosystem."

Price target unchanged at $333 in this research note. He is clearly waiting for Tesla to make a public statement about adapting a mobility-as-a-service business model. Until then don't expect a raise in target price. So far Elon Musk has had "no comment" to Jonas' probing questions on that topic.

Apparently Musk's second marriage with Talulah had no prenup.

This is speculation. Her divorce petition cites no pre-nuptial agreement but that does not mean there is not one.

I can't believe Musk would be that stupid but I guess he could have had a moment of romantic insanity.

She would be entitled to half the assets he accumulated during the marriage including half the stock appreciation.

Would be great if a lawyer could chime in, but I'm pretty sure all of Elon's shares are held in trust, which may protect them in event of divorce.
I'm not lawyer, but having recently sifted through all the paperwork relating to stock acquisition and execution they were all either bought by the trust directly or moved into the trust later. The trust also probably makes it easier to turn over to the kids should something happen to Elon and allow them to activate it when they get older.

In any case after everything he went through with Justine, and he was originally reluctant to get a prenup with her, I wouldn't imagine he would make that mistake having already nearly avoided it once before.

Tomorrow we should have some reports about queue length around the world. Probably won't move the stock one way or another. I think the market will wait until real numbers are presented by Tesla.

Short queues means the advantage of doing in-store reservation is low which means fewer in-store reservations and vice versa. I think in-store reservations will turn out to not be Appleesque or even close to it but online reservations after the reveal will be great.

Last edited:
This is an interesting point. Haven't thought through the dynamics of how it would actually play out, but would seem to make sense at first glance that driving the ICE auto industry downmarket where it can escape direct price competition from EVs will favor small-engined ICE and displace the production of the largest gas-guzzlers first. EV is definitely the cheapest way to develop large amounts of power and for a while at least ICE and gasoline would appear to be cheapest way in absolute terms to make an affordable and fully functional car.
Thanks. One way to think about this is to subvert the compliance game. Automaker build two kinds of vehicle those that are profitable but require regulatory credits and those that generate regulatory credits. There is an implicit subsidization going on. As long as all automakers are playing the same game they all can make money. Specifically what disrupts this is a compelling EV that competes with a high profit car. This is precisely the kind of EV that the automakers want to make dead last. Turning a Versa into a Leaf has minimal impact on profit margins but generates incremental regulatory credits so Nissan can sell more Titans. Unwittingly every Leaf buyer is enabling gas guzzlers to stay in the market. So Tesla is in a unique position to throw a wrench into this. They can slaughter the cash cows with impunity. The flip side of this is to suppose Tesla were to compete directly with the Leafs of the world. What would this accomplish? They could generate lots of regulatory credits and sell them to competitors who will simply find this a cheaper way to satisfy the regulatory burden. In this way, Tesla would be coopted to preserving the status quo. They would probably get less grief, but they would have little impact. So the path of greatest impact is to compete head to head with vehicles that require the most regulatory credits to stay on the market. This breaks down the cross subsidization scheme, and it is also where Tesla will be able to earn the highest profit margins. They compete with products that have regulatory deficits offering products with a regulatory surplus. It is a form of regulatory arbitrage which will fuel their growth, until the industry stops playing the regulatory game they've been playing.

Last edited:
Morgan Stanley's Adam Jonas weighing in ahead of Model 3 launch: argues that the Model 3 launch follows more the traditional automotive model (speeds and feats) versus being truly disruptive. According to him, the role of Tesla in a future of transportation-as-a-service enabled by autonomous driving capabilities remains to be seen, as new players (Apple, Google) and even existing ones (e.g. Mercedes Benz) are all eyeing to create that future.

"The world awaits details of style, features, performance and pricing of Tesla’s most affordable model. But we think the significance of the Model 3 will ultimately prove out in how the machine fits into an emerging shared, autonomous public transport ecosystem."

Price target unchanged at $333 in this research note. He is clearly waiting for Tesla to make a public statement about adapting a mobility-as-a-service business model. Until then don't expect a raise in target price. So far Elon Musk has had "no comment" to Jonas' probing questions on that topic.
Thank you for sharing this. If my recollection is correct, in his original "shared mobility" report in which he assigned $450 PT, AJ speculated that a reveal of Tesla's approach to this speculated by AJ part of the business will happen at the time of unveiling of the Model 3, which in his opinion ostensibly would have to have the variant designed for Tesla's shared mobility business.

I am wondering if Elon's musings about how much to reveal at the Model 3 event has to do with shared mobility, rather then unrelated certain features of Model 3. If they are considering pursuing the shared mobility business in a way AJ envisions at all, it would be inconceivable for them to NOT have a variant of Model 3 designed specifically for this business. The question is whether they will choose to talk about this during or shortly after the event. If they do, it would be something that is not widely expected and could have some profound impact on SP (as well as gratification of AJ's ego...)

Status
Not open for further replies.