Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian R3 Compact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will any of these companies get out a decent new $25k car, if ever? I can only think of the Chevy Bolt which is now discontinued afaik.
Most auto manufacturers are running at around 20% gross margin (and damn close to break-even net), per the internet, so a $25k car has to cost ~$20k to build. An EV throws away the engine, but keeps a lot of the cooling, has electric motors that aren't free, and then has to add a battery. Batteries are currently averaging around $150/kWh? So for a 300-mile EPA range, averaging 4 m/kWh, you're talking about 75 kWh of battery or ~$11k of battery.

The motor you threw out did not cost $11k ... it cost maybe $3k. Lets say there are some efficiencies you can apply that traditional manufacturers are not (this is really the secret of Tesla's success. Selling 'decontenting' as a feature) to save another $3k?. So to get a comparable $25k car with a 300 mile range., you'll need battery costs to roughly halve, or efficiency to double, or some combination of the two. Settling for ~200-mile range helps, but then you're pretty close to the golf-cart category of car which has already existed but not sold particularly well (Bolt/Leaf/i3-BEV/etc).

Sadly, it looks a bit more like a Russian made Lada.

View attachment 1025664
1710263546915.png

Completely agree. They'll never admit it tho. It resembles the two door Lada Niva even more. But here is where they say the inspiration really came from.

The Rivian R3 Was Inspired by the Audi Quattro Coupe and Delta Integrale​

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a60160869/rivian-r3-eighties-design/

I'm not a lover of the Rivian front/headlights but it fits this little ugly ducking/cute ute setup they got going here.

1710264177093.png

Last edited:
I have younger adult children and watch their interest, my son in his 20s loves Rivian and loves M3/MS
the industry should take notice
for example the EX30 did not resonate with any of my children, they are the current buyers of vehicles
VW, Volvo Cars, GM, Ford, Stellantis are all missing what this age group wants
20 somethings can't afford any of these EV's. (w/o parents help)
Why would the companies waste their money advertising to them?

Tesla had 2 advantages (at least):
1) They were well established, and predate the 2020 financial collapse, and subsequent inflation and interest rate spikes. Which are still limiting many from buying.
2) They've always tried to portray an image of "it's your iPhone, in car form". Which would obviously appeal to any post-X gen youth.

And I see inflation and interest rates continuing to lock in the current financial situation for at least a couple more years. So where are all these newcomer EV builders going to find new buyers? The banks aren't going to be allowed to over-lend anymore since the 2008 lockdown. Fiat is F*k'd, for the short-term, and the long-term. And with it, any industries that rely on it. EV builders included.