Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If only the Model X had a 110 outlet (like Ford & Rivian).......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my first Tesla in 2012, I was spoiled. With no competitors to come along for many years, I was stuck with just buying new Tesla's for the next 10 years. They had my two "must have" items (Supercharging & Auto Pilot). Wouldn't buy any other EV if it didn't have those. The Auto Pilot one, I'm kind of over now. Didn't really use it much, plus most cars have some type of lane control for highways, which was about the only place I would use it.

10 years later, the Rivian came along. There's other threads about how it compares to the Model X. The Rivian is a different vehicle, but offers a lot. For the first year or so, it was also priced $50,000 less than a Tesla. I still love my Rivian. But, Tesla is still the best EV on the planet. Now, with the prices being dropped to unheard of levels, I am actually thinking about a Model X again.

The problem is, my Rivian has 110 outlets that I use the heck out of and have become one of my "Must Haves". It's such a huge convenience and really great in a power outage.

With Tesla being the most advanced EV, I'm a bit surprised they still haven't added it.

Supposedly the Cybertruck will have them, but that thing has too many deal breakers for me. The Model X still has a couple of deal breakers as well, but are things I "might" consider living with, if it had the 110 outlets and at its current price point.

The Rivian has no deal breakers for my personal use. And it would be tough to give up the many cool features it does have that the Tesla doesn't have. But, with the huge price drop, I can't stop thinking about it. Sadly, there's no way I'd give up my 110 outlets now that I've had them for over a year. So, the Rivian's place in the garage is safe for now. However, if Tesla were to add 110 outlets that put out at least as much power as the Rivian's outlets do, there's a good chance I'd reconsider.

For most of you, you don't miss what you never had. But, curious if any others would put that high on their priority list if given the option? The ability to power up essentials in a power outage, power worksites, power campsites or any other million things people come up with is just such an attractive feature.

Reactions: dhrivnak
After my first Tesla in 2012, I was spoiled. With no competitors to come along for many years, I was stuck with just buying new Tesla's for the next 10 years. They had my two "must have" items (Supercharging & Auto Pilot). Wouldn't buy any other EV if it didn't have those. The Auto Pilot one, I'm kind of over now. Didn't really use it much, plus most cars have some type of lane control for highways, which was about the only place I would use it.

10 years later, the Rivian came along. There's other threads about how it compares to the Model X. The Rivian is a different vehicle, but offers a lot. For the first year or so, it was also priced $50,000 less than a Tesla. I still love my Rivian. But, Tesla is still the best EV on the planet. Now, with the prices being dropped to unheard of levels, I am actually thinking about a Model X again.

The problem is, my Rivian has 110 outlets that I use the heck out of and have become one of my "Must Haves". It's such a huge convenience and really great in a power outage.

With Tesla being the most advanced EV, I'm a bit surprised they still haven't added it.

Supposedly the Cybertruck will have them, but that thing has too many deal breakers for me. The Model X still has a couple of deal breakers as well, but are things I "might" consider living with, if it had the 110 outlets and at its current price point.

The Rivian has no deal breakers for my personal use. And it would be tough to give up the many cool features it does have that the Tesla doesn't have. But, with the huge price drop, I can't stop thinking about it. Sadly, there's no way I'd give up my 110 outlets now that I've had them for over a year. So, the Rivian's place in the garage is safe for now. However, if Tesla were to add 110 outlets that put out at least as much power as the Rivian's outlets do, there's a good chance I'd reconsider.

For most of you, you don't miss what you never had. But, curious if any others would put that high on their priority list if given the option? The ability to power up essentials in a power outage, power worksites, power campsites or any other million things people come up with is just such an attractive feature.

Tesla doesn't believe in bidirectional charging including using it as stationary power because Elon reasoned that there's not enough interest.

Even cheapo companies like Hyundai/Kia are doing bidirectional by providing 120V (US), 240V (Europe) in the cabin and at the charging port.

There are reports that Tesla will be interested in bidirectional in 2025.

Reactions: msm859

Easily solved with an inverter. I have a 110 in my F350 that I've used once.

I have solar and Powerwalls at home so have never been without power during an outage. I work from home on a computer, so no need for vehicle power at my work site. I haven't gone camping in 2 decades, so .... For me, 120V in a vehicle would be just a nice to have, but not sure I would ever use it.

Still, I can see why it would be useful, so if they add it someday that is fine with me. But things like a 360-degree bids-eye view via nose camera for tight parking spots are much higher on my priority list.

The 120V outlets were a big factor in why I got a Rivian in June after having driven only Teslas for 14 years.

But the joke's on me...my 120V outlets don't work, and I can't get a service appointment until November. Sigh.

Do Teslas support inverters now? Around 10 years ago Tesla warned us not to use them, but maybe things have changed.

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun
Easily solved with an inverter. I have a 110 in my F350 that I've used once.
Problem is, inverter's plugged into a 12V outlet put out only enough power to charge a phone or laptop. The Rivian at 1500w can power most things aside from air conditioners. Ford's 7200w outlets can pretty much power anything. I almost kept the F-150 Lightning over the Rivian because of that alone, but determined I could live with the output power of Rivian's outlets and happy that I did keep it.

Naturally, not everyone will have a need for it. Especially those with power walls and solar. Although, I've been considering getting both, I factored in the cost and struggle with it. 13.5 kwh battery for $8,700. I can go buy a cheap version of the Ford F-150 lightning, short range version with a 98 kwh battery for around $50,000. To duplicate that with power walls, I'd have to buy at least 7 power walls for 94.5 kwh of storage at $53,700. Tesla's power wall prices have come down. Last time I calculated it, the variance was notably higher. You could also find a used Ford for probably around $40,000 to $45,000. With the Ford being able to be wired in as a backup service that will automatically turn on in a power outage, it's a good option to have. For a little less, I get a free truck to go with it.

For me, I have covered parking on the side of my home that I don't use, so do have the space to let a truck sit there. Not all people will. Although, 7 power walls on the side of the home would take up quite a bit of space too. In that case, I'd probably get the Model X, knowing that I now have an F-150 truck available if I ever have a need for the use of a truck. Likely the way I will go when I do pull the trigger on Solar Panels. I tried to get them at the $200 per month deal a couple of years ago, but Tesla didn't like my roof and wouldn't install them. Prices today are MUCH higher, significantly reducing the cost savings if you buy them up front with financing. Add in power walls and it's actually costing more for a solar / power wall package than just paying for electricity. Hoping that those prices go down as well with the current market we're in, then I'll pull the trigger.

Reactions: msm859
But, curious if any others would put that high on their priority list if given the option? The ability to power up essentials in a power outage, power worksites, power campsites or any other million things people come up with is just such an attractive feature.

Zero priority for me. I would just buy a small generator or one of those small battery power stations, both are more portable then a car. ;)

Agreed with the OP, and I'll go one further that Tesla's refusal to put V2L into their vehicles is inexcusable. It was one of 3 major reasons we almost didn't buy the Model Y, and will be the major reason we sell it as soon as something better is offered by a competitor.

Adding a clause that using the car for stationary power voids (part of) the warranty is just a double slap to consumers. Just because Elon doesn't think the thing is useful is no reason to lock us out from having it, or adding it to our cars (as I have done with my Volt and used successfully for almost a decade).

Problem is, inverter's plugged into a 12V outlet put out only enough power to charge a phone or laptop. The Rivian at 1500w can power most things aside from air conditioners. Ford's 7200w outlets can pretty much power anything. I almost kept the F-150 Lightning over the Rivian because of that alone, but determined I could live with the output power of Rivian's outlets and happy that I did keep it.

Naturally, not everyone will have a need for it. Especially those with power walls and solar. Although, I've been considering getting both, I factored in the cost and struggle with it. 13.5 kwh battery for $8,700. I can go buy a cheap version of the Ford F-150 lightning, short range version with a 98 kwh battery for around $50,000. To duplicate that with power walls, I'd have to buy at least 7 power walls for 94.5 kwh of storage at $53,700. Tesla's power wall prices have come down. Last time I calculated it, the variance was notably higher. You could also find a used Ford for probably around $40,000 to $45,000. With the Ford being able to be wired in as a backup service that will automatically turn on in a power outage, it's a good option to have. For a little less, I get a free truck to go with it.

For me, I have covered parking on the side of my home that I don't use, so do have the space to let a truck sit there. Not all people will. Although, 7 power walls on the side of the home would take up quite a bit of space too. In that case, I'd probably get the Model X, knowing that I now have an F-150 truck available if I ever have a need for the use of a truck. Likely the way I will go when I do pull the trigger on Solar Panels. I tried to get them at the $200 per month deal a couple of years ago, but Tesla didn't like my roof and wouldn't install them. Prices today are MUCH higher, significantly reducing the cost savings if you buy them up front with financing. Add in power walls and it's actually costing more for a solar / power wall package than just paying for electricity. Hoping that those prices go down as well with the current market we're in, then I'll pull the trigger.
What is the payback for sending solar in LA? In NorCal (PGE) and SD(SD Power) new installs are on Nem 3 now, and they only giving wholesale rates for excess beyond usage. People like use with Nem 2 get regular rates. And NEM 1 people, like my neighbors do even better.

As far as Powerwalls goes you get a few things I think that most V2G system do not have.

First is almost instanteous take over whether you are home or not. Most of the time the lights and TV don't every flicker and you have to check to app to see if there is an outage. Same with switching back. Second is the elimination of your annual home power bill for many, like us. We send a lot back to the grid in the summer and that eliminates the summer power bill and builds a credit balance that eliminates the winter electricity bill. Third is participation in Tesla's VPP where they pay you $2/kWh for giving power back to the grid during defined low power alerts. It is not a lot, but last year's $400 check brought a smile to my face.

Also, you need a lot of solar to fill 7 Powerwalls. Double check you usage to see how many you would need. We thought we needed 3, but so far, our 3200 square foot home does fine on just 2. But, if Tesla drops the price enough, I might buy another one to get some more credits!

Reactions: childcarepro

You can get an inverter that connects directly that'll supply a lot more watts

I'm curious, what do you use it for? I've never felt the need for 120V in our MX since 2018. I've just bought USB fans and a 12V tea kettle and an espresso machine (Handpresso Auto), both of which I used once and never again. (We're gonna put the 12V tea kettle back in the MX, as two of our friends' kids have been stung by stingrays in the past year, and no hot water in sight.)

For some reason I'm obsessed with portable power stations like the Ecoflow River 2 Pro (~$400), which I just ordered, and the bigger Bluetti AC180 (~$800) which I just got. I don't understand my own fascination, TBH.

But I'm thinking, rather than base a car decision on one feature, maybe a power station would solve your 120V outlet problem AND add flexibility, being able to power things away from the car, e.g. at the beach or camping. Just a thought.

Reactions: ATPMSD
You can get an inverter that connects directly that'll supply a lot more watts
Do you have a recommended one?
My next vehicle will have that from the factory. I have no need for 120v on the road but we have storm outages every winter on the island. I currently use a Honda 6500W but if I could get about 3-4kW from MX preferably at 240v I could run the house silently and without gas cans.

OP has two good suggestions.
1. Locate a 12v power source that would handle an invertor of the power you need.
2. Carry a small power station that would provide you the power. It could be plugged into your 12v socket to keep it charged up all the time.
Imagine that the CyberTruck will come with 120v or even 240V plugs. That might lead to that being available on the other vehicles in their lineup.

I would get the Model X if you want Performance, but if you have a (large) family and your Rivian is the R1S I would honestly stick with a Rivian

• Disagree
Reactions: TespaceX
An inverter powerful enough to output 1500w would require being hardwired on and and also voids part of the warranty. It also would be powered by the small 12v battery with the HV pack kicking in to recharge it repeatedly adding tons of cycles to the 12v battery. The Rivian powers its inverter direct from the HV pack when it's turned on which is a benefit in that regard. We used it with a two burner induction stove and fridge for a two week camping trip this summer too. Kept 120v on with the built in wifi hotspot the whole time.

I just sold my GoalZero 1500 which was our small battery backup for the house in case of an outage since my Rivian can keep it going for a week instead.

P.S. My 2023 Model X cigarette lighter port was only capable of supplying about 60w without a ton of voltage sag (implying undersized wires somewhere). A 150w inverter running near 150w would drop the voltage to 10.1v and my inverter would kick off after 30 seconds. It was barely functional trying to just run my laptop.

Reactions: aerodyne and Genie
I'm curious, what do you use it for? I've never felt the need for 120V in our MX since 2018. I've just bought USB fans and a 12V tea kettle and an espresso machine (Handpresso Auto), both of which I used once and never again. (We're gonna put the 12V tea kettle back in the MX, as two of our friends' kids have been stung by stingrays in the past year, and no hot water in sight.)

For some reason I'm obsessed with portable power stations like the Ecoflow River 2 Pro (~$400), which I just ordered, and the bigger Bluetti AC180 (~$800) which I just got. I don't understand my own fascination, TBH.

But I'm thinking, rather than base a car decision on one feature, maybe a power station would solve your 120V outlet problem AND add flexibility, being able to power things away from the car, e.g. at the beach or camping. Just a thought.
I use it for camping. Powers the RV for days. Also, we have a car hauler for events and use it to power the entire trailer, including the auto liftgate on the back. One power outage at home, used it to power a heater, fridge and my entire office for 2-3 days.

I almost kept the Ford Lightning because it has 7200 output to the Rivian having only 1500. The Ford, there are really no limitations. The Rivian works well for most stuff, but 1500 is still limited.

12V inverters, might power a TV, but even then, it flashes on and off a lot. Tried to use one in my RV for the TV and a computer monitor and the two combined were too much for it. The inverters are more of a convenience to power your 12V capable devices with the home power cords instead of having to get the 12V type plugs.

Cadillac has one in the Lyriq, but I think it only puts out 150w, so basically it's just an inverter that like runs off the 12V battery rather than the main battery.

I have an EcoFlow 2400 battery, which I thought I could wire in between the Rivian and Trailer to handle the larger surges, but it had way too many power surges and would reset. The Rivian seems to just ignore the request for more power when it comes in, thus doesn't trip the power off. Whatever you're trying to power just has to try to make due with 1500w output whereas the EcoFlow tripped the power and shut off in similar scenarios.

Reactions: childcarepro
I use it for camping. Powers the RV for days. Also, we have a car hauler for events and use it to power the entire trailer, including the auto liftgate on the back. One power outage at home, used it to power a heater, fridge and my entire office for 2-3 days.

I have an EcoFlow 2400 battery, which I thought I could wire in between the Rivian and Trailer to handle the larger surges, but it had way too many power surges and would reset. The Rivian seems to just ignore the request for more power when it comes in, thus doesn't trip the power off. Whatever you're trying to power just has to try to make due with 1500w output whereas the EcoFlow tripped the power and shut off in similar scenarios.
Tesla's 150W 12V outlets definitely won't power an RV! LOL But it sounds like even the Rivian + an EcoFlow weren't enough, either.

Your 2400 Wh EcoFlow + portable solar panels could power your RV for days, add a 24V LiFePO4 battery to charge the EcoFlow would give you even more power. I would have been tempted to use this kind of setup if I hadn't already bought rigid solar panels and a ton of Victron gear.

I would consider a Victron solar PV setup in your RV; LiFePO4 batteries are cheap now, though a whole system would still run you $10-30K. But totally set and forget. I'm having mine installed in my motorhome (finally after 2 yrs of planning) next week.

Tesla has talked about eventually adding vehicle to grid technology, which would then let you use the high voltage battery to fed your RV needs, but hard to say when that will happen.

Tesla's 150W 12V outlets definitely won't power an RV! LOL But it sounds like even the Rivian + an EcoFlow weren't enough, either.

Your 2400 Wh EcoFlow + portable solar panels could power your RV for days, add a 24V LiFePO4 battery to charge the EcoFlow would give you even more power. I would have been tempted to use this kind of setup if I hadn't already bought rigid solar panels and a ton of Victron gear.

I would consider a Victron solar PV setup in your RV; LiFePO4 batteries are cheap now, though a whole system would still run you $10-30K. But totally set and forget. I'm having mine installed in my motorhome (finally after 2 yrs of planning) next week.

Tesla has talked about eventually adding vehicle to grid technology, which would then let you use the high voltage battery to fed your RV needs, but hard to say when that will happen.

You also can't get 150w from Teslas 150w 12v outlets. The voltage sags a ton beyond 90w and devices will shut down due to the voltage drop. 10v at a 100w draw is what my Model S and Model X both put out.