Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Competition: Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked! -- $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They make no money on R1 vehicles. Their burn rate is insane. When you learn that they buy 20$ batteries for key fobs and glossy paper for things on the service center level, you’ll understand they’re not long for this world.

College professors and other no experience in automotive people are managers of service centers and we wonder why they can’t maintain a schedule or make service actually run correctly. Their only hope is Apple or someone else that’s nailed service down, to acquire them.

Anyone that believes $46k and 330miles are the same thing, I’ve got a 69420$ cybertruck to tell you all about.

😂😂

//signed an R1S owner that has a service appt in JUNE of 2024 to handle safety related recalls. 😵‍💫

I've always thought the R2 would be a big seller if Rivian doesn't botch its specs and size and survives until it actually launches. Since it appears to be pretty much the same footprint as the Model Y, I think it should be really successful if they can ramp up enough production and sell it at prices close to the MY while making some sort of profit. These are big if's but I hope they make it. I'd be interested in the R2 for sure as 2026 might be the time I start thinking about the next car.

Reactions: pinolero and jsight
Hopefully it's bigger than the Y in practical dimensions (cabin and cargo.)

Rivian execs must have learned from the R1 that a loss leader is a loss all the same and not a leader until it leads into sales of a profitable product. The R2 better be thick with profit margin. They must have a checklist of everything Munroe said was wrong with the R1 from a production engineering perspective. Hopefully the R2 is as lean as possible while retaining all the suspension goodness of the R1. Presumably never a quad, it should be good with a dual motor … and mechanical diff locks? : )

I'll take one despite the quality and service issues with being an early adopter of the R1T.

I'll also take some $10 $RIVN with a "it can't go much lower" rationalization, and if it executes on the R2, if the EV market cycles higher and demand returns (before the next US economic thudding crash post-election) there's real upside potential for a triple.

I think the "package" is better suited to us (two people, one doggo) than the R1S, which is a bit too big as a city SUV and weekender, and too small as a full-size rig.

The R2S looks Goldilocks for daily driver and road tripper (if it really comes with NACS in the box, preferably built in and not a doohickey adapter "real soon now" that shows up a year later.) If they've upped the battery technology to 800V (no way they leapfrogged with 48V) it could charge like a champ … could even be an LFP offering for those enviable 100% starts to the day.

Reactions: Daekwan and jsight
I think a Juniper Model Y with the new powertrain that delivers 0-60 in 3s would really take the air out of the R2. I like the way Rivians look though and the interiors are substantially better but 2026 is a long ways off

I think a Juniper Model Y with the new powertrain that delivers 0-60 in 3s would really take the air out of the R2. I like the way Rivians look though and the interiors are substantially better but 2026 is a long ways off
We have no idea what the Highland Performance numbers will be but Highland LR isn’t in the 3s so I am not sure why Juniper LR would be either.

We have no idea what the Highland Performance numbers will be but Highland LR isn’t in the 3s so I am not sure why Juniper LR would be either.
I wouldn’t expect LR to be in the 3s. I would expect Performance or Ludicrous to be in there. I also expect the R2 to have a Performance variant that can do the 3s and not their standard variant just like their R1s.

Reactions: Noflash
They make no money on R1 vehicles. Their burn rate is insane. When you learn that they buy 20$ batteries for key fobs and glossy paper for things on the service center level, you’ll understand they’re not long for this world.

College professors and other no experience in automotive people are managers of service centers and we wonder why they can’t maintain a schedule or make service actually run correctly. Their only hope is Apple or someone else that’s nailed service down, to acquire them.

Anyone that believes $46k and 330miles are the same thing, I’ve got a 69420$ cybertruck to tell you all about.

😂😂

//signed an R1S owner that has a service appt in JUNE of 2024 to handle safety related recalls. 😵‍💫
Perhaps unsurprisingly, most of those are issues that Tesla faced as well. Tesla did manage better gross margins, though. Also, Tesla didn't make the mistake of needing an entirely new factory to launch Model 3.

Tbh, I still think the timeline for the Georgia plant is Rivian's largest ongoing risk. That in itself is a big, expensive project, and even a minor delay could be a disaster.

The product itself looks great, though, and ultimately that gives them a chance.

I really want Rivian to succeed. The R2 is a must-win for them. They must nail it, and they must survive long enough to get it into the hands of customers. It is literally do or die on the R2.

I'd be surprised if the $47k version does 0-60 in 3 seconds (I bet that stat is for a higher end trim), but I don't think it has to be the fastest thing in the segment at that price point. They have a good brand identity around a certain ourdoorsy style and good design, not speed, and if they can bring those things to the $40k-$50k price point then it will sell even if it's not blisteringly fast.

If R2 looks like this concept... take my money and my model y.

Attachments

• 1709696872950.jpg
    1709696872950.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 32
I really want Rivian to succeed. The R2 is a must-win for them.
Me too and agreed.

Nonsense snide fanboy comments aside about how Rivian is burning cash and somehow different than when Tesla did exactly the same thing to build out a service/charging network and factory infrastructure: 2026 is laughable and to put it plainly, too late. They will not make it that long in this economic environment. They need to accelerate their plans or they’re gonna die.