Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Competitor Coming - Volvo EX30 0-60 in 3.4 Sec, Starts at $35K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Deaf Paul

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2023
Oahu, Hawaii
Volvo EX30 | Small fully electric SUV | Volvo Cars

Stumbled across this announcement this morning:

TLDR: Reservations now, deliveries in 2024. Cost of the AWD version which claims a 0-60 time of 3.4 seconds is unknown. It’s the RWD only that starts at $35K. 265/275 mile range for AWD/RWD.

Wondering how this might affect Model Y prices or sales.

-Paul

IMG_0236.jpeg

Reactions: fholbert
I haven’t started watching any of the stuff about the EX30 yet, but assuming it’s smaller than the XC40/C40 Recharge, it won’t really be competing against the Model Y since the XC40 is already quite a bit smaller.

What it might potentially compete with is if Tesla releases the $25k Model Whatever.

Honestly it doesn't appear hard to make a fast EV, or even a cheap EV. What seems hard is going for fast, cheap (or "affordable"), and high range. As long as Model Y continues to be above 300 miles range and the other guys are 250 to 260, I don't think Tesla will feel *too* much pressure.

What will be interesting for techie buyers like the people that are here will be real world range. Tesla is pretty hard to hit their numbers in the real world at 70mph anywhere outside of a nice day in California. Too much below about 60F and you won't see that range at 70. Any hills and you won't see it. Open flat road for miles where you're at 80 mph and you won't see it.

If this guy nails it's range at 40F when going 70 to 75 on all seasons or something that will actually be interesting. In my experience in the winter with a dry road I see much close to 250 miles of range on the Performance Y...

I checked out a video about the EX30 and I think it is a pretty nice package. I do hope Volvo significantly increase their software chops in the next year before this car comes out though.

We also own a C40. While it is a nice car and I do like it, compared to the Model Y the software experience (in-car and phone app) is like comparing a flip phone to an iPhone 14.

Reactions: Deaf Paul
I think Tesla needs to bring their refresh/changes/new colors and new models to market quicker. They don‘t want to become “appliances”. I love my Y, but someone like me that is passionate about vehicles will need to see a substantial upgrade before I would basically buy the same vehicle with minor interior updates just in one of the 5-offered colors. If the competition starts stepping up their software game I think Tesla will need to do this to hang on to current customers. I test drove the C40 recharge and the build quality felt much more solid than my Y. Also as far as this being a Model Y competitor that is the press didn’t see Volvo touting it as one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deaf Paul
it's quite tiny. Heck, the XC40 (same chassis as the Polestar 2) is less than 175" long. That doesn't really have room for adult-sized people in the rear seat. I can't imagine how small the XC30 would be, maybe destined primarily for European markets?

Guesstimating then... the XC30 might only be 160" long at which point it's basically a Mini Cooper EV competitor or perhaps a competitor for the upcoming Model 2 (or whatever we're calling the vehicle smaller than the 3).

It's copying Tesla in the wrong places (no driver screen, no buttons on doors), and with the 0.28 drag coefficient the range will suffer a lot at freeway speeds. With no tax rebate, and decent trims starting around $40K, this is not a competitor to anything. Too bad, I was expecting something better than the Recharge line, they made it worse. Price point issues, probably.

I've owned a couple of Volvos in the past. The Volvo ride was one of the best I've ever owned. IF Volvo continues the ride & seat comfort in previous larger ICE vehicles, They will beat Tesla on ride and seat comfort. Where Volvo falls short is in reliability. (At least in the ICE arena). Volvo reliability was poor with higher mileage vehicles, over 100,000 miles. Volvo price of the new model is great with their base model, however my guess is you'll need to add $5-$7 thousand dollars to get features the Tesla has i.e. heated steering wheel/seats & Cruise. I suspect that Tesla will continue to improve w/Software Updates, and I doubt Volvo will beat them in this area of development. Volvo built 100% in China will not receive US Federal Tax credits, although they could potentially shift to their US Assembly plants and change in the future (or perhaps by the time it is in release in the summer of 2024)

I've owned a couple of Volvos in the past. The Volvo ride was one of the best I've ever owned. IF Volvo continues the ride & seat comfort in previous larger ICE vehicles, They will beat Tesla on ride and seat comfort. Where Volvo falls short is in reliability. (At least in the ICE arena). Volvo reliability was poor with higher mileage vehicles, over 100,000 miles. Volvo price of the new model is great with their base model, however my guess is you'll need to add $5-$7 thousand dollars to get features the Tesla has i.e. heated steering wheel/seats & Cruise. I suspect that Tesla will continue to improve w/Software Updates, and I doubt Volvo will beat them in this area of development. Volvo built 100% in China will not receive US Federal Tax credits, although they could potentially shift to their US Assembly plants and change in the future (or perhaps by the time it is in release in the summer of 2024)
I agree Doc. But, I think the EX30 is vs the M2 SUV (two versions of the M2 or it will only be one version as a small SUV like the EX30/Bolt EUV) when its released. The MY is much larger than the EX30. Great that Volvo released this before Elon releases the M2 as Volvo is Geely owned and this is like direct silent China competition in the USA. If the M2 can beat this EX30, than Tesla can prove once again they can beat everyone.
My statement is that I like that Volvo/Geely/China just released their best in front of everyone and now Tesla just has to beat it, btw the M2 will do 300 miles.

Let's keep in mind Polestar3/Volvo EX90 have been delayed due to software issues.

Great seats, absolutely.

Great software and hardware, not so much.

Search on the Polestar forums for TCAM issues. I loved my Polestar 2, it's a much better car than anything Tesla produces. But in terms of hardware/software/charging it's probably 6-8 years behind and we don't even know about the reliability yet of the drive motors, suspension (all that weight) or battery degradation and failures over time/mileage.

I get it, VW had the same and just spend $Bs giving their SW issues
But the uninformed do not understand the importance of good SW
Just saying rhe EX30 looks great and the price is great for not having access to IRA $$
That is all the uninformed want to know, looks good and priced right
Elon has to crush it with the M2

I saw the recent videos and have to say that it looks pretty nice but its much more of a Model 3 competitor. I bet loaded up, its mid $50k and that puts it squarely against the M3P which would smoke it in performance and range. It will be like the Polestar 2....those who absolutely hate Tesla and want something else.