Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience on my 2023 MY RWD (Australia, Giga Shanghai)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
Sharing my experience a few weeks in after the delivery of MY RWD with EAP . This is more for those who are lurking to get one like I was sometimes ago.
I feel that a lot of concerns I had in the past was over exaggerated, due to an overwhelming information out there. So here I am now, first hand experience.
A bit of a background, I had a few European cars prior to this, some sedans some SUVs/AWD, so the comparison will be with those cars.

Lets start!
Build Quality:
  • Almost perfect. I had a bit of creaking coming from the rear hatch, but I played a bit with the rubber damper and it went away.
    I'd compare it with my previous cars, and I'd say its the same if not better.
  • Panel gaps issue is non existent or none that I can see anyway. For a comparison, my previous Volvo had a misaligned panel that never got sorted.

Comfort:
  • My 2023 RWD has 19' wheels and the "comfort" suspension. Definitely a bit more compliant than the one I test drive.
  • The car felt very responsive, its like driving a go-cart, comfortably.
  • Some of my previous SUVs are very soft almost like a boat and some are very stiff to the point that I had to "embrace" when I see a speed hump coming.
    The MY is pretty good. I know I dont have to cringe when I am about to drive over a hump
  • Quiet, but thats a given being an EV.
  • Auto pilot and auto steering, combined with EAP, driving with this car is very relaxing. I am actually looking forward to drive!

Software:
  • Really good. In some ways, the best. No lag, very responsive. It doesn't have apple car play but after using it for a few days, I really forget about it. The native Software is as good, responsive and very intuitive.
  • After my first test drive last year, driving my 4 yr old Volvo with a relatively "new" Ipad like screen, felt so old, almost antiquated. I drove one of my friends ICE car and that felt even more antiquated.
    I know a lot can still be improved by Tesla, but this car has OTA and there is always possibility of improvements. Some improvements took place after the delivery.
    • One example is, I was thinking "Hey it would be good if they have a counter specific to tyre rotation" then the next day, they add tyre service mile to track the rotation. With non-OTA cars, you buy that car and you stuck with it and you are lucky if there are any improvements. The most you get is bug fix. My old cars only have OTA navigation updates, that takes months to catch up.
  • One big change is the speedometer position and the blind spot monitoring. I can say the speedometer is definitely a non-issue after a week or so. Once I am used to looking slightly to the side instead of where the speedometer used to be, I am good. The blind spot alert light isn't integrated in the side mirror. Again, after I am used to checking the screen, its a non issue.
  • Self parking (with EAP) is working as expected. Better than my previous cars. It works probably 99% of the time. My previous car would work probably 60-70%? Just make sure you indicate, approach the parking space slowly, and fully stop before reversing.
  • Wiper was crappy in the first week. Goes all out under a very light rain. Then all the issues went away after an OTA software update. I wasn't sure which one, it just disappear.
Charging:
  • We have 220V grid here in Australia, so home charging is more than enough. I almost hit 5000 kms in 6 weeks, and never had to use the superchargers.
  • With LFP battery, I plug in every time and set the charging to 100% as recommended in the manual
  • I never have to go to the petrol station to fill up. I will never take this for granted :D
Whats still bad about it?
  • Enhanced auto-pilot is OK, still a bit confused at times. Could be much better. Looking forward to Tesla bringing the US software stack over.
  • Phantom breaking happened. The car seems to be overly cautious if there was a car crossing your way even if its 50-100 meters away. Or if there was a bottle neck/merging lane. I learned how to slightly accelerate when I saw this scenario. I remember this was also an issue with my previous car, also saw this on my friends Hyundai.
Thank you!

0_Tesla_Model_Y_0.jpg

"0 Tesla Model Y 0" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail

@evbumbum is not doing anything wrong with leaving the car on the charger at regularly chaging to 100%.
For the record, Australasian Model Y RWDs come with LFP batteries.

The Manual says the following (the Capitals and Bolding are not mine - but are verbatim from the manual):

------------extract
About the High Voltage Battery

Model Y has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model Y for several weeks.
NOTE: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the low voltage battery when necessary.

There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.
-----------end of extract

A little later on the same page (the bolding and underlining are mine in this case):
-------extract
Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries

Some vehicles are equipped with a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) Battery. To determine if your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, navigate to Controls > Software > Additional Vehicle Information. If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP battery, "High Voltage Battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate" is listed. If your vehicle does not have an LFP battery, the high voltage Battery type is not specified.

If your vehicle is equipped with an LFP Battery, Tesla recommends that you keep your charge limit set to 100%, even for daily use, and that you also fully charge to 100% at least once per week. If Model Y has been parked for longer than a week, Tesla recommends driving as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
----end of extract

Last edited:
Phantom breaking happened. The car seems to be overly cautious if there was a car crossing your way even if its 50-100 meters away. Or if there was a bottle neck/merging lane. I learned how to slightly accelerate when I saw this scenario. I remember this was also an issue with my previous car, also saw this on my friends Hyundai.
This isn’t phantom braking - the car is just very cautious. Technically someone turning in front of you, at speed, could be a collision, for example if they stalled, so the car will always make the safer assumption and slow down, even though 99% of the time people will complete the turn. Same with people taking their time to move into a turning lane and clear your lane. Once you know it’s cautious, you just do exactly what you do - override and go faster - better you take that risk than the car.

Reactions: 404 Not Found
This isn’t phantom braking - the car is just very cautious. Technically someone turning in front of you, at speed, could be a collision, for example if they stalled, so the car will always make the safer assumption and slow down, even though 99% of the time people will complete the turn. Same with people taking their time to move into a turning lane and clear your lane. Once you know it’s cautious, you just do exactly what you do - override and go faster - better you take that risk than the car.
I agree. I think calling it phantom braking isn’t entirely accurate.

Hi Everyone,
Sharing my experience a few weeks in after the delivery of MY RWD with EAP . This is more for those who are lurking to get one like I was sometimes ago.
I feel that a lot of concerns I had in the past was over exaggerated, due to an overwhelming information out there. So here I am now, first hand experience.
A bit of a background, I had a few European cars prior to this, some sedans some SUVs/AWD, so the comparison will be with those cars.

Lets start!
Build Quality:
  • Almost perfect. I had a bit of creaking coming from the rear hatch, but I played a bit with the rubber damper and it went away.
    I'd compare it with my previous cars, and I'd say its the same if not better.
  • Panel gaps issue is non existent or none that I can see anyway. For a comparison, my previous Volvo had a misaligned panel that never got sorted.

Comfort:
  • My 2023 RWD has 19' wheels and the "comfort" suspension. Definitely a bit more compliant than the one I test drive.
  • The car felt very responsive, its like driving a go-cart, comfortably.
  • Some of my previous SUVs are very soft almost like a boat and some are very stiff to the point that I had to "embrace" when I see a speed hump coming.
    The MY is pretty good. I know I dont have to cringe when I am about to drive over a hump
  • Quiet, but thats a given being an EV.
  • Auto pilot and auto steering, combined with EAP, driving with this car is very relaxing. I am actually looking forward to drive!

Software:
  • Really good. In some ways, the best. No lag, very responsive. It doesn't have apple car play but after using it for a few days, I really forget about it. The native Software is as good, responsive and very intuitive.
  • After my first test drive last year, driving my 4 yr old Volvo with a relatively "new" Ipad like screen, felt so old, almost antiquated. I drove one of my friends ICE car and that felt even more antiquated.
    I know a lot can still be improved by Tesla, but this car has OTA and there is always possibility of improvements. Some improvements took place after the delivery.
    • One example is, I was thinking "Hey it would be good if they have a counter specific to tyre rotation" then the next day, they add tyre service mile to track the rotation. With non-OTA cars, you buy that car and you stuck with it and you are lucky if there are any improvements. The most you get is bug fix. My old cars only have OTA navigation updates, that takes months to catch up.
  • One big change is the speedometer position and the blind spot monitoring. I can say the speedometer is definitely a non-issue after a week or so. Once I am used to looking slightly to the side instead of where the speedometer used to be, I am good. The blind spot alert light isn't integrated in the side mirror. Again, after I am used to checking the screen, its a non issue.
  • Self parking (with EAP) is working as expected. Better than my previous cars. It works probably 99% of the time. My previous car would work probably 60-70%? Just make sure you indicate, approach the parking space slowly, and fully stop before reversing.
  • Wiper was crappy in the first week. Goes all out under a very light rain. Then all the issues went away after an OTA software update. I wasn't sure which one, it just disappear.
Charging:
  • We have 220V grid here in Australia, so home charging is more than enough. I almost hit 5000 kms in 6 weeks, and never had to use the superchargers.
  • With LFP battery, I plug in every time and set the charging to 100% as recommended in the manual
  • I never have to go to the petrol station to fill up. I will never take this for granted :D
Whats still bad about it?
  • Enhanced auto-pilot is OK, still a bit confused at times. Could be much better. Looking forward to Tesla bringing the US software stack over.
  • Phantom breaking happened. The car seems to be overly cautious if there was a car crossing your way even if its 50-100 meters away. Or if there was a bottle neck/merging lane. I learned how to slightly accelerate when I saw this scenario. I remember this was also an issue with my previous car, also saw this on my friends Hyundai.
Thank you!

View attachment 960466
"0 Tesla Model Y 0" by Benespit is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Imaged added for Blog Feed thumbnail
For phantom braking, try disabling the traffic signal stop sign control to see if that helps. (If that option shows up on your autopilot settings.). Someone on twitter said that helped for them but they may have FSD.

Reactions: timberlights
I have the same model in NL, with the LFP battery. I have to agree Tesla advise is unclear. It say to keep limit at 100% and let the car plugged in.
Definitively it will charge 100% with this setting, not to 80%. !!
Probably they mean that if you don't have the chance to charge it usually 100%, do try to charge it 100% at least once a week.
With this understanding I charge mine 100% each time, hope for the best.

I got the MY RWD for the LFP battery advantages, also 100% RWD is almost same as 80% LR. rangewise or am I wrong?
Last week got 420km range, not too bad, but sometimes 370km.

Reactions: evbumbum and GenSao
I have the same model in NL, with the LFP battery. I have to agree Tesla advise is unclear. It say to keep limit at 100% and let the car plugged in.
Definitively it will charge 100% with this setting, not to 80%. !!
Probably they mean that if you don't have the chance to charge it usually 100%, do try to charge it 100% at least once a week.
With this understanding I charge mine 100% each time, hope for the best.

I got the MY RWD for the LFP battery advantages, also 100% RWD is almost same as 80% LR. rangewise or am I wrong?
Last week got 420km range, not too bad, but sometimes 370km.
I got a very similar range as yours. 370-ish up to 435-440 km.
Tbh though after a while, with 100% charge all the time , I stopped worrying about the range.

MY RWD user here also in AU, coming up to a year now.

The need to go to 100% comes from the top recalibration the car does on the LFP cells.
Unless you need all the range I'd say charge up to 70% or 80% 6 nights out of 7 and then go all the way to 100% once a week or even once a fortnight if you aren't getting close to the bottom of the battery ever and therefore can tolerate a little more variance on the range estimates.

Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the ride :)

Reactions: evbumbum