Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Competition: Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked! -- $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Without autonomous driving functions/potentials, Rivian does not have a chance to compete with Tesla. Their best outcome would be getting acquired by apple or google or GM. I certainly wish this acquisition would happen so that Tesla will have a real competitor in the market.
Tesla's Autonomous driving is an absolute joke! Building a suitable BEV has nothing to do with it requiring autonomous driving. Tesla has already proven that.

I suspect that batteries will be their biggest problem. They are specifying a 4695 new battery configuration for a structural battery pack. That design commits them to the battery spec. The factory for those batteries has not yet been built. Every single new battery plant has had delays and difficulty scaling.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I suspect that batteries will be their biggest problem. They are specifying a 4695 new battery configuration for a structural battery pack. That design commits them to the battery spec. The factory for those batteries has not yet been built. Every single new battery plant has had delays and difficulty scaling.
BMW Neue Klasse will also use 4695 cells so they can probably piggy back off those suppliers too.

AP is free and has more functionality than rivians “driver+” bs.
What does the free/included version of AP do other than follow lanes and auto-adjust speed to the car in front? Literally almost every car does that now. My wife’s 2021 Kia Telluride does it.

Full Self Driving, aside from being heinously expensive, is still very, very beta. I hated using it when I had it on trial recently. It made so many dumb decisions, even in relatively easy highway driving conditions.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m really glad someone’s working on the more advanced versions of this stuff, but Tesla’s included “AutoPilot” is no longer ahead of anything. It’s middling at best.

Without autonomous driving functions/potentials, Rivian does not have a chance to compete with Tesla. Their best outcome would be getting acquired by apple or google or GM. I certainly wish this acquisition would happen so that Tesla will have a real competitor in the market.
They seem to be focused on getting to hands and eyes free on the highway. I think that's the most immediately useful function anyway.

They seem to be focused on getting to hands and eyes free on the highway. I think that's the most immediately useful function anyway.
Hands free in the rivian mandates use of the camera, which raises many a concern for a lot of folks.

The autonomous driving offerings from ford/GM/Riv/BMW(TJA) leave much to be desired.

GM allows it to be used while towing, which is kinda cool… until a panic situation, do you(the royal you, not you that I quoted) trust a computer to sort out a ‘tail wagging the dog’ situation? I don’t.

Ford/Riv - only on mapped divided highways? Ewwww.

BMW’s TJA- cool they used it for convoying. It shines in stop and go, with someone in front of it. Handsfree takes a lot of getting use to.

Tesla’s AP works phenomenal in areas where many teslas have been driven on AP/FSD, middle of northern MN? Not so much, a little too much like a drunk / 16yr old first time driver. However, in the black hills SD, zero complaints. National parks where I want to watch wild animals do wild animal things at ultra low speeds? yep. Perfect.
Major metro areas? awesome. 2hr commutes through SoCal fun? Yep.. zero complaints, wanna slide in where AP left a gap? Enjoy. Not stressed.

Time and a place for AP/FSD/advanced driver aids. Don’t go expecting them to allow you to sit in the back like Miss Daisy, driving you around without intervention. This isn’t LVL5, we are nowhere near there. That said… I may have accidentally fallen asleep in telluride with FSD on and it absolutely didn’t end my life nor anyone around me.
Or in a snow storm @ 1am in a 2017 X, when the truck in front of us had no tail lamps and avoided docking with said pipeline /welding rig.

Nearing 200k miles driven on AP of some variety, zero dieds in this household. 🤷🏿‍♂️

The beauty of a free market. Enjoy what you enjoy.

Using the 1-foot roll-out. Probably closer to 3.7 without that.
LOL I know you didn’t mean it this way but it still sometimes strikes me as wild how quickly we’ve gotten used to a family crossover doing 0-60 in under 4 seconds, to the point that you are making distinctions about whether or not it was measured with rollout. Not that long ago, for anything outside of high end performance cars, under 5 seconds was considered really quick!

will go to dump like NIO lol
It may, but I’m not day trading. I have purchased several “risky” EV stocks this month: Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, and VinFast. My thought is that maybe one of them will really hit over time, but currently they are at historic lows. I’m guessing Fisker will go bankrupt, but if it doesn’t then the 500 shares purchased around 40 cents is a good $200 gamble. That money probably would’ve been better spent on more Tesla or Apple stock, but sometimes I do dumb stuff with relatively small amounts of money to see if it might pay off.

It may, but I’m not day trading. I have purchased several “risky” EV stocks this month: Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, and VinFast. My thought is that maybe one of them will really hit over time, but currently they are at historic lows. I’m guessing Fisker will go bankrupt, but if it doesn’t then the 500 shares purchased around 40 cents is a good $200 gamble. That money probably would’ve been better spent on more Tesla or Apple stock, but sometimes I do dumb stuff with relatively small amounts of money to see if it might pay off.
I owned Tesla stock pre covid and its been working well so far + the stock split really helped