Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Competition: Rivian R2 Price & Specs Leaked! -- $47500, 0-60 3 Sec, 330 Miles Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing people keep ignoring is efficiency. How good will the efficiency be on the R2. The R1 is awful.

I think in the long run efficiency is gonna hold back the Cybertruck.

Even the X for it’s size and weight does quite good at efficiency.

A lot of the public assume all EV’s are super efficient. That’s partly why Ford backed off on the Lightning.

One thing people keep ignoring is efficiency. How good will the efficiency be on the R2. The R1 is awful.
That's at best a secondary consideration to most buyers. To a point they care about some of the "side effects" like charge time, and purchase price... but with charging costs generally being much lower per mile than gas, the greater consumption isn't right there in people's faces.

Reactions: buckets0fun

I think in the long run efficiency is gonna hold back the Cybertruck.

Even the X for it’s size and weight does quite good at efficiency.

A lot of the public assume all EV’s are super efficient. That’s partly why Ford backed off on the Lightning.
The WT gets 2:1. Rivian (R1S) is roughly the same. CT is also roughly the same.

Comparing the current X to them, is like adding in the 3/Y, it muddies the data with cars vs trucks. Brick walls vs water drops.

all it took to stop my f150L purchase was crash photos. Front Passenger tends to be sacrificed in a offside collision, it’s been happening since they went to the aluminum body Aka not unique to the L.

It matters to me. I have an R2 reservation, mostly in hopes that they'll announce tow capacity of 5000 lbs and we can replace our X. However, if the R2 is consuming north of 450Wh/mi, I'll reconsider. My Y lifetime consumption is at 261Wh/mi over 30k miles, which includes a lot of mountain highway driving.

That's at best a secondary consideration to most buyers. To a point they care about some of the "side effects" like charge time, and purchase price... but with charging costs generally being much lower per mile than gas, the greater consumption isn't right there in people's faces.
It’s lower per mile in some places but not in a lot of places. And a lot of superchargers are very high.

My Model S runs about equal to a 35 mpg in my area.
A 400 wh/mi would be about equal to a 25 mpg in my area.

Check out these charts.

Reserved R2 as well. What happens generally speaking if we purchase a car and then the manufacturer goes belly up? What if we need warranty support? You know....all those post-sale services.
I guess keep an eye on Fisker Oceans to see what happens in that scenario. 🤣

Seriously though, in my opinion, if Rivian can get to mass production of R2 before going bell up, they will make it as automaker.

Reactions: ohmman
Reserved R2 as well. What happens generally speaking if we purchase a car and then the manufacturer goes belly up? What if we need warranty support? You know....all those post-sale services.
You become an orphan and pray that the walled garden of parts/service tools are avail.

Or you pray that people(person) who have rebuilt the vehicles without the company’s blessing, are willing to help the masses.

Their service mode leaves much to be desired, it’s a glorified set of gauges.

Attachments

• IMG_6244.jpeg
    IMG_6244.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 16
I guess keep an eye on Fisker Oceans to see what happens in that scenario. 🤣

Seriously though, in my opinion, if Rivian can get to mass production of R2 before going bell up, they will make it as automaker.
Look to old fiskar karma and the few shops that took on fixing the problems with the hvac/DU/HV.

How does riv go from losing ~33k per vehicle sold, to more R&D (DU, HV packs) for the R1, to ‘here comes an R2&3&3x’? Seems like the interest free loan from preorders would have to be YUGE.

Reactions: Brolan
If there is some impending European curbside charging network coming, maybe it's a good gamble.
The vast majority of ev charging in the US is at home, where it really doesn't matter what side the plug is on.

However, it does put a wrinkle in travel and the ease of using NACS. I guess someone could sell a short extension cable
otherwise how do you get around taking two spaces?

• Disagree
Reactions: fhteagle
If there is some impending European curbside charging network coming, maybe it's a good gamble.
It’s already there.

The vast majority of ev charging in the US is at home, where it really doesn't matter what side the plug is on.
Many posters here talk about moving the chargeport being an issue with their home charging.
However, it does put a wrinkle in travel and the ease of using NACS. I guess someone could sell a short extension cable
Tesla is looking into it and another company as well.
otherwise how do you get around taking two spaces?
Tesla’s official docs say to block as many spaces as needed and no more than that.

yeah taking two spaces isn't going to fly when you hit a crowded charging station. you'll be waiting a long time for two side by side...and I foresee a lot of youtube videos of fights...
the extension cable would be great, that would solve any complaint I would have.