Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reactions to Model X reveal event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You forgot one... have them overstate the horsepower specifications of their flagship car.

Oh geez, not this again.

ICE cars only achieve peak horsepower at a tiny narrow band at sea level. The advertised 0-60 times are accurate and fall within standard US 0-60 acceleration tests. 0-60 times have a standardized test in the US, measuring horsepower on an electric vehicle does not, and the measurement is accurate based on the methodology Tesla chose. End of story.

The media response has been overwhelmingly positive on most every major outlet I'm looking at. I don't think anyone here at TMC guessed half the features on the car (especially related to the FWD opening dynamically in tight spots).

I'm willing to bet that a percentage of Tesla's "unwillingness" to deliver a more sophisticated PR event is that, either subconsciously or on purposes, the car is ridiculously supply restrained at its current stage. Not only that, but if the Model S was any indication, once publications like Consumer Reports, Motor Trend, et al have access to review cars, this thing is going to start selling like an absolute monster. Why generate added "buzz" when a) it's going to take a year for the backlog of 20K+ orders to clear and b) you have upcoming press that's going to set this car up to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Let's not forget that Tesla gathered thousands upon thousands of reservations basically on a promise of an alpha car that was shown 3 years ago, not unlike the Model S.

It'll sell ok/fine as they really won't be making too many over the next year. It'll get good reviews obviously as long as not glaring defects start to arise with the doors/seats, etc.

I'm just surprised that the financial media is being so lenient on Tesla. If I was them I'd consider the Model X not delivered yet in Q3 at all. We just saw some special individuals take delivery is all, founders, beta software installed, and a carefully crafted yet limited event. Not quite a launch of a new product to the masses.

I absolutely agree. When I read some of the comments in this thread, I just couldn't resist but to finally register an account and post my thoughts. First thing I was gonna point out is that Tesla is now a 30 Billion+ company and they should act like one. They can no longer act like a garage startup working on a Linux distribution that people download for free. They are building $100,000 cars and at that price range people have expectations.

Exactly. At some point Apple polished its presentations and began to look like the unstoppable force it's become. Tesla needs to project an air of inevitability and competence, and even though the Model X achieves this in spades, everyone's first impression was the horribly-organized event (apparently worse than the "D" event), nearly 1-hour late start with no intermediate communication, and tongue-tied presentation. Tesla can (and should) do better than that. There are Musk nerds, Gates nerds, and Jobs nerds. I totally prefer the Jobs nerds, as does the press. Not a lot of movies being made about Gates or Musk, flattering or otherwise.

There's no reason Musk can't be the credible and informed "holy" presence on the stage, while other speakers with more polish present the bulk of the vehicle's features. That's how Apple's Tim Cook does it, because he's also not a great speaker.

I wonder how many people routinely stay up way past there bedtime to watch the a vehicle launch event. This is my first time. Ever. Of those of you that more routinely watch such events, how often do you do it when you KNOW that it will be an unrefined speaker, with historically poor punctuality?

All the complaining has some validity, but save the shock and awe for the Model X. Musk definitely seemed nervous, fumbly, unrehearsed. He appeared to pay most attention to what he was most passionate about- that is not necessarily the most entertaining.

Maybe, but if you're towing a trailer across the country on a trip you have to assume dramatically reduced range and therefore more frequent charging...maybe every 2 hours or so? YOu could be unhooking/reconnecting 4-5 times per day. Not "difficult" but annoying and inconvenient, particularly if it's snowing or raining or particularly hot or cold outside.

I do hope that Tesla installs dedicated stations for those towing--pull-through type spots.

I think just a 20' extension cord should suffice. This gauge of say 50A ship-to-shore cord is maybe $200 as a consumer boat shop purchase.

I saw that come up on my newsfeed and was a bit baffled.

First of all, the primary buyers of a crossover SUV are families. Safety is the #1 priority for those buyers. Unsurprisingly, it's clear Tesla understands the target demographic far better than VentureBeat.

Second, I think there's some underestimation of the appeal of a clunky, "look what we did" presentation over a fluid, highly-polished release. Despite recent successes, Tesla is still an underdog, and those considering a Tesla are likely to identify with a company that launches a car like Tesla just did. Prospective owners want to feel like they got in early and helped start the revolution. An awkward Engineer-CEO who fumbles with words, at this phase in the company's life, is endearing, not off-putting for buyers.

Those guys don't have a clue. On the other hand, there's not much excuse for starting a flagship launch as late as they did. Not a good way to start the night.

Did anyone notice the SNAFU when the X was driven onto the stage? When the driver left the SUV he closed the door. As he walked away the door OPENED UP and Elon had to walk over and close it before he started speaking.

I believe a lot of focus has shifted to defending Elon's delivery when the complaints seemed to actually revolve more around timeliness. I have no problem with Elon's delivery, and admire the man greatly. However, I can't imagine another company being over an hour late for their reveal of a product that's supposed to take over their sales. It's in especially poor form when it's your first new product in a few years.

My other complaint would be content; I just wish there was more content, or at least a press/web release with dimensions and other relevant items.

You forgot one... have them overstate the horsepower specifications of their flagship car.

Not trying get off topic here, but what are you referring to? Z06 engine overheating and go into limp mode? Both the Stringray and Z06 got some apparent engine issues. Shame really.

Porsche of course had the infamous IMS bearing saga. Nissan GTR initially shipped with transmission made out of glass. At the supplier level, how about airbags from Takata. It's not like Bosch or Delphi never screwed up before.

Trust me, I can go on all day. But none of these are valid excuses for Telsa when they do screw up. Unless you wish for Tesla to be mediocre.

Food was Terrible!! Undercooked and dangerous IMO. Too much alcohol with too little food for the crowd.

OK. Good that I did not eat anything then.

We ended up eating down the street at In and Out Burger (with the Tesla factory workers) after the event because I saw no food except a tiny nib-let a server brought by when I was standing by the back door. He never got 10 feet into the arena before he was empty and turned around.

Between a polished and well rehearsed presentation of the (re)invention of the watch, and a geeky, improvised, and somewhat unprofessional presentation of a serious contribution to sustainable transportation, I know what I would choose. I buy into the vision and the passion that went into the product, and perhaps it makes me have oversight with the execution. However I'd like to believe that it does not necessarily make me into a fanboy.

Tesla shows passion. Apple shows an understanding for numbers. I'll take passion any day.

Tesla can (and should) do better than that. There are Musk nerds, Gates nerds, and Jobs nerds. I totally prefer the Jobs nerds, as does the press. Not a lot of movies being made about Gates or Musk, flattering or otherwise.

There's no reason Musk can't be the credible and informed "holy" presence on the stage, while other speakers with more polish present the bulk of the vehicle's features. That's how Apple's Tim Cook does it, because he's also not a great speaker.

Respectfully disagree. Musk is an icon and, despite not being the best public speaker, should be the one presenting for at least the majority. I personally would not have been nearly as intrigued if it were anybody else on stage (maybe besides JB.) Not to mention the fact that he deserves to be up there from all of his hard work and everything's he's risked/given up for Tesla. Also, once people begin to realize the impact he's making, there will be movies on Musk, and Gates as well.

It'll sell ok/fine as they really won't be making too many over the next year. It'll get good reviews obviously as long as not glaring defects start to arise with the doors/seats, etc.

I'm just surprised that the financial media is being so lenient on Tesla. If I was them I'd consider the Model X not delivered yet in Q3 at all. We just saw some special individuals take delivery is all, founders, beta software installed, and a carefully crafted yet limited event. Not quite a launch of a new product to the masses.
The financial media is not a thinking entity, it's not journalism; it's advertising media. "They" broadcast the messages and opinions they're instructed to deliver.

As for the event failures, I imagine someone with some marketing nouse at Tesla will use conventional "drum beat" activities (deliveries to Signature customers, deliveries to celebrity customers, and of course the technical and industry reviewers to each access those segments.) I expect the ordering process will be enjoyable and close the deal, convincing each customer they've made a sound purchase. That's where the rubber meets the road for Tesla: closing the sales, not seeing that 20K of orders dwindle as people lose interest and drift away. So Tesla has to replenish the pipeline and continue to be the most interesting car company.

If they're on their game, every earnings for the next year will be a spectacular fireworks show of successes just for this one model of car. As with Porsche and the Cayenne, the Model X now has to be the capital X in S3X sells for Tesla -- as others have noted, it will be an everyday occurrence for people to notice those doors. Every day at schools and shopping malls across the USA, kids will squeal and point in delight to see those bat wing doors rise up over the sea of bland minivans and SUVs:

"There's another Tesla, mum!"

and every mother will want to have her little one in the only safe all-5-star SUV on the planet. Musk got straight to the bullseye with this launch message. He sort of flubbed his script, but he said what matters ... greatest chance of being uninjured when someone crashes into you while you're taking little Timmy to school. That message sells.

Did anyone notice the SNAFU when the X was driven onto the stage? When the driver left the SUV he closed the door. As he walked away the door OPENED UP and Elon had to walk over and close it before he started speaking.

the Model X has a feature where the doors fully open automatically when you approach it (aka not just unlock it, but unlock & open) . therefore, this guy after leaving the stage was still too close with the key fob (or the key fob was still inside) and the door opened automatically. that's not going to be cool when your park your X in a garage or at work or at the mall or at home in your driveway and you walk away and the X mistakenly automatically opens up and offer's it's contents to passersby.

I think Elon is a wonderful presenter. He has far more passion and enthusiasm for what he's actually doing than any CEO out there.

Mmm.... I wouldn't go nearly that far.

Musk is a mediocre presenter. He has a lot of verbal tics and seems to suffer from under-preparing his presentations. His body language speaks to discomfort with that stage.

Tim Cook is both a better presenter and has an equal amount of enthusiasm for his products -- and he's not a great presenter compared to many other chief executives.

Its unfortunate that you are using the word "dork" to address the man who is single handily trying to change the direction of mankind and the reason you are doing so is because he was late for the event.
Maybe the reason for our strong disagreement on this issue is because of our priorities. You want to hear a presentation, I want to hear the man who made the vehicle possible. Its your right to have your opinion on how a presentation should be handled. I just hope we wont take personal shots at Elon just because he is doing something in a way we don't like.

Well, this is at least one of the most important presentations this year. The Model X should be a home run for the sake of the company. There are more people than ever watching this event and then:
- he show up 50 minutes late;
- He totally does not empathise with whom he is giving the presentation, not even an excuse for being late;
- the presentation is below par, do we really need to know how large the air filter is or should we be told how awesom the car is and that we all should buy one!
- you know from your self that you are not a great in front of public, as we here at TMC know and can relate to that and is OK, Elon is so much better in other thing. Elon should know that too and yet Heobviously did not rehearse and, as a manager he should know when to delegate and let others do the bulk of the presentation;
- this is a Marketing event. The purpose should be that we all are running to the computer to reserve one. This was more technical (again for us understandable as we know him more, the rest of the audience not so) a I did not get a feeling tight away that I should reserve one immediately

Yes I do hold Elon in high regard as I know him longer. A lot of people don't, however, and sees him for the first time. If he does not get these elementary things right than yes, he is a dork..