Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Petition to force Tesla to come up with a retrofit for AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I 100% understand why someone missing out on the sensors by 2 days is going to be angry. We even had the case described here on TMC where someone picked up two cars on the same day, and his girlfriend's car missed out and his didn't, souring her delivery experience. Tesla should think hard about how to minimize that type of issue without triggering an Osborne effect.

Exactly, the problem is that they started shipping new features without announcing them. This caused a lot of happy/surprised customers but also a lot of pissed new Tesla owners. Every other company first announces their new products and then starts shipping them. Tesla did it the other way around.

+1 @yobigd20

first and foremost, THIS IS NOT MY PETITION. I didn't see anyone post a link to this yet, but I just wanted to make people aware of this change.org petition. Personally, you will NOT find me signing it. My honest opinion is that I feel a lot of people are whining about the dual motor & autopilot announcement bc they feel like they got ripped off. Sorry people, but I totally disagree with you. I side with Tesla's model of continuous improvement throughout the year. This allows people to get new features earlier than waiting for the turn of the next year. How do you think people felt with the "+" announcement was made right after they just took delivery of their P85? How do you think people felt with the major P85 price changes that occurred last year when they split previously included options out into separate options that were no longer free? Ordering one day late for the exact same configuration cost you an extra $15k. So in that case you should have ordered EARLIER vs LATER. How do you think people felt when electronic folding mirrors started to be included? How do you think people felt when parking sensors were added? or the newer better fog lights? or the softer seating? I could keep going, and going, and going. SORRY PEOPLE THIS IS JUST PART OF THEIR CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT MODEL AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN SAY OR DO ABOUT IT. You cannot predict whether ordering now or later will net you better prices vs more options etc. Please stop whining and making these stupid petitions. You should be happy with your purchase. If you are not, just sell it back to Tesla and order another one. If you don't have many miles you'll get a good price. Else go private, you'll still get a very good price in the used car market.

Petition · Petition to force Tesla to come up with a retrofit for the new AutoPilot features for existing owners who were early supporters of the company/product · Change.org

I can see both points of view on this issue.
However, I wonder what people's reaction would be if Tesla unveiled the D as a separate model
Model S owners would not be able to complain about getting the new features since it is a different model (or are we going to see the same outcry when the Model E is released with all new features? ).

No, I will not sign the petition even though my model S is only 6 months old. I'm glad Tesla keeps innovating.

Likely this is exactly how they do it. Check out the "Post your quote" thread for the real-world quotes people are being offered.

I think Tesla should get ahead of this mess by announcing a transparent and fair schedule for "upgrading" to a new car consisting in an "acquisition fee" and a depreciation schedule for miles driven and time in use. Of course this would imply the car is pristine and not been in any accident. The sooner they do this the better. They should nip this in the bud and turn this around by turning unhappy customers into new sales.

I'm not signing the petition. I don't want to force or try to force Telsa to do anything.

If the D wasn't announced until the X shipped the people today would not be complaining. Of course those that took delivery then; would be complaining. Tesla is smart, very smart. They most likely expected this objection from some people along with the praise and the change in ordering from +'s to D's.

New bumpers, new quarterpanel sheet metal, new windshield? I am a bit surprised that Tesla is not proactively adding or preparing the sheet metal and bumpers with removal plugs or small removable panels. If they know R&D is working on new features and they know somewhat when the new stuff will be on cars or available, why aren't we hearing that harnesses, metal, glass is being configured differently to allow for retrofitting after the other cars are being delivered with the same? We went through this with Parking Sensors and Folding Mirrors. It's not hard to predict something as compelling as autopilot is going to generate alot of request for retrofit on 1 week old, 1 month old and even 1 year old cars. While it's not practical to project 1 year in advance, it is easy to project 1 month or two or four maybe six in advance.

The main difference between a car compatible with folding mirrors and not, is the harness. Cars a year old should have been prepped with the extra leads in the mirror harness to allow the swap of the switch. When the biggest expense is replacing the harness, it should be a non issue. So it also applies to things like harnesses for autopilot sensors. The biggest expense then would be popping the plugs out and paying for the sensors as they are added.

I'm just suggesting that Tesla be more forward looking regarding retrofitting as they build and buy hardware. I'd rather pay a bit more for a wiring harness with extra plugs and not use them than IF I wanted that feature have to remove/replace a wiring harness later. The number of people interested in a retrofit can be predicted by number-crunchers and adjust the price to spread it out over all cars being build. Nearly always, labor is the biggest cost in retrofits where something has to be removed and replaced. We can avoid the replace part if we plan ahead and prepare for the proability of a retrofit request.

Okay, who can I write at Tesla about this? Someone PM me Jerome and J.B. email, please. I'll be discreet.

if it is has been previously stated, I apologize. Tesla should wait to introduce new technology with a new model year like the rest of the car manufactures. In other words, last week's announcement should have said that a 2015 model S is coming out and it will have dual motor, limited auto pilot, etc., etc. they should not be required to have a "retrofit". That is like asking Chevrolet to retrofit Corvette's 2014 6 speed automatic with the 2015 8 speed automatic.

The rest of the car manufacturers do not always wait until a new model year to introduce significant product updates. For example, I bought a 2000 VW Passat new, and VW then came out with a model year 2000.5 Passat.

More generally, Tesla cannot afford to operate on the slow (annual) product improvement cycle that is the norm in the auto business. They are trying to establish themselves in a business where almost every new American car company that has tried over the last several decades failed.

I 100% understand why someone missing out on the sensors by 2 days is going to be angry. We even had the case described here on TMC where someone picked up two cars on the same day, and his girlfriend's car missed out and his didn't, souring her delivery experience. Tesla should think hard about how to minimize that type of issue without triggering an Osborne effect.

Right. There's no really good solution for this problem. If you have a traditional model year model, the Osborne effect happens every fourth quarter. You get around this by coming out with next year's model earlier and earlier which leads to having a 2016 car actually delivered in 2014 in the most extreme case. If you don't have a traditional model year, then people can miss by a day, which causes a lot of grief. I suppose that you could contact each affected person, have them sign an NDA and offer them a chance at the new model, but it wouldn't prevent the ones that didn't sign from reporting that "something is up".

But it's also OK to push back (politely) on that subset of the community and say, "chill, dude/dudette! Tesla's a different beast; no model years; there's good and bad with that." Push back *also* helps these emotions subside, as the people voicing them start to consider alternate points of view.

Just a week or two or three after I took delivery on my fully loaded (at that time) P85+: parking sensors, subzero package, powered folding mirrors; all things I'd've loved to have had. One could argue that my P85+ dipped in value as soon as the new definition of "fully loaded" became available. C'est la vie.

Here's an opportunity in my opinion: a car subscription! Upgrade me annually to the latest beast. Charge me monthly whatever fee is appropriate. Let me forget I ever hassled over car purchasing and (especially) car selling / trading-in. Maybe the fee varies depending on car configuration, annual/bi-annual/tri-annual upgrade, phase of the moon, etc. I'm not sure which is the greatest impediment for me when considering replacing my P85+ with a P85D: cost delta, depreciation hit on the P85+, the prospect of hassling with a private sale of the P85+ so I recapture more dollars, the prospect of having invested in OptiCoat, Xpel, winter wheels & tires and babying the car only to see most of that investment valued at near-zero. The Tesla buying experience is the easiest and most joyful one I've ever had, but that doesn't mean I look forward to doing another car buy/sell round.

Alan

I get that feeling - and don't think I'm unsympathetic towards you either. But let's face it: the D announcement was bad news for some people, who felt their purchase experience - rightly or wrongly - take a hit. This forum is just reflecting what that subset of the Tesla owner community is going through.

It will subside over time. If a petition helps some people, let them have it I'll say. And if Tesla decides to act on it, kudos to all involved.

I will not sign this rubbish. Are they out of their minds ? The fudsters are already picking it up. Your petition is bashing our already downbeaten stock. Go away. Get into Your Model S´s and drive the highway for a mile or hundred. Perhaps the nebulae on Your minds will clear then. Be glad you could afford the car. Many of us would give a lot to have it...

I still fail to see how this is a problem. Yay new features!

You get free software updates... free supercharging. But someone else gets new features and gosh darnit I'm mad!

That's exactly what's wrong with most of the comments on this thread - they don't even get the problem, but are very fast at calling other members names. Just see my previous comments on this and other threads, do not feel like explaining everything over again.

First: not signing the petition. Not that I for a moment think Tesla gives (or should give) two s--ts about it, but also because it's an innovating company and any incentive for it to stop coming up with new innovations at any point is just a bad idea.

Second: that said, in case Tesla is listening, the autopilot feature made my mouth water and if there was a way (although I agree with others that it seems impossible) to retrofit it on my car (December 2012) for a fee somewhere in the four figures, I would do it. I was lucky enough that when I bought my car, the price on the car and its options was lower and lots of things came standard that are now pay-for options. So for me it would be smarter to retrofit my old faithful rather than trade-in for new.

That's exactly what's wrong with most of the comments on this thread - they don't even get the problem, but are very fast at calling other members names. Just see my previous comments on this and other threads, do not feel like explaining everything over again.

1. I do get the "problem". (it's not a problem)
2. I never called anyone names.

Exactly, the problem is that they started shipping new features without announcing them. This caused a lot of happy/surprised customers but also a lot of pissed new Tesla owners. Every other company first announces their new products and then starts shipping them. Tesla did it the other way around.

They would need to shut down production to make this a clean break though. Cars don't go through in exact order. A pause of a few days at least would likely be needed.