Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Screwed up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a convo between me and Tesla service on my 2017 Model X that has a 2.0 MC1 full self driving computer but NO Autopilot purchased when new.
I inquired to have basic auto pilot installed and here is what they said below.
Took it in. 3 days later they said it’s ready to go. I went down and test drove and no autopilot still. They told me “we did the 3.0 computer upgrade and now you can upgrade your software now to full self driving”
Asked if they replaced cameras. They said no. Asked why would I pay $1000 for a 3.0 computer when I already had 2.0 and apparently neither will give me basic autopilot with adaptive cruise unless I spend $3000 on software.
All they had to do is tell me “yes you can get basic autopilot if you pay us $3000 for software that you can use with your 2.0 computer” instead they tell me to pay $1000 and they will upgrade me to 3.0 and I get the basic autopilot which I was willing to do.

I told them no way I was paying $1000 then another $3000 for basic. The service writer admitted they messed up and would see what she can do. They called me back 2 hrs later and said they are taking out the 3.0 and putting back my 2.0 computer and to come back in a couple days to get my car. She did ask if I wanted the $3000 software upgrade!
I know people make mistakes but own up and take care of the customer. I am not difficult. It was a major hassle. I asked if they would sell me the software for $1000 and she said they won’t and they did a good will by paying for the labor to put my old computer back in. Mind boggling! Or am I over reacting?

Tesla:
This appears to be considered normal operation of your vehicle since no autopilot package was purchased with the vehicle in 2017.
You do however have an option. If you would like to keep this appointment and come into the service center you can Purchase the Full self driving retrofit. This would include upgrading the driver assistance module to the 3.0 system and replacing the cameras (may need to schedule a follow up after the initial retrofit is performed based on parts availability).
This would give your vehicle access to the Full Self Driving features currently availible (Autopilot and traffic aware cruise control) (This however would not give you access to FSD beta, this is an additional cost that can be purchased on the app after this retrofit is complete). This retrofit would cost about $1,000 before tax.

Me:
To confirm. The retro version would get her the basic autopilot and traffic aware cruise? FSD beta is extra thru the app?

Tesla:
Yes it would give you access to Basic Autopilot and Traffic aware cruise control. Your vehicle would then be eligible to purchase either Enhanced Autopilot or Full self driving (either can be purchased on the mobile app after the retrofit has been performed) (these can also be purchased as a subscription via the mobile app). Additional information for the Autopilot features included for either Enhanced Autopilot or Full self driving can be found in this link.

It is all very confusing since you used to have to pay for AutoPilot and now it is standard. Enhanced AP is extra now (kids added it to your '22 Y). Then, of course, FSD purchase or subscription.

Terminalogy: MCU_ is infotainment computer and HW_._ is FSD.
Some nice tables and info here. Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

I have a June 2017 Model X and at the time of purchase (used/service loaner) I purchased FSD. They upgraded my cameras and HW3 FSD computer for free eventually. I paid $2500 for the MCU1->MCU2 (Aug 2017 started on the X) upgrade when it first came out and it was worth every penny.

It is all very confusing since you used to have to pay for AutoPilot and now it is standard. Enhanced AP is extra now (kids added it to your '22 Y). Then, of course, FSD purchase or subscription.

Terminalogy: MCU_ is infotainment computer and HW_._ is FSD.
Some nice tables and info here. Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

I have a June 2017 Model X and at the time of purchase (used/service loaner) I purchased FSD. They upgraded my cameras and HW3 FSD computer for free eventually. I paid $2500 for the MCU1->MCU2 (Aug 2017 started on the X) upgrade when it first came out and it was worth every penny.
Alot of people who purchased FSD are reporting that the only hardware that is complimentary upgrade is the FSD computer 3.0. The cameras are not being replaced/upgraded to latest hardware. Can you confirm from your work order what part numbers and description is listed in there for cameras?

Alot of people who purchased FSD are reporting that the only hardware that is complimentary upgrade is the FSD computer 3.0. The cameras are not being replaced/upgraded to latest hardware. Can you confirm from your work order what part numbers and description is listed in there for cameras?
i dont believe this to be true. two of my legacy MX (with FSD) came with free camera upgrade.

Reactions: scottf200
I have a 2017 x, I bought fsd when they had a fire sale.
They upgraded my computer to hw3, and replaced all my cameras. Fsd works great, as good as my 2023 y
Would you let us know when was the camera upgrade done and if you could post a copy of the work order with complimentary camera replacement, so we can make a case at the SC? Thank you.

Last edited:
Concern: Left and right repeater cameras
Left and right repeater cameras replaced
Correction: Lamp and Camera - Side Repeater - Front - Pair (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
LAMP ASY, SIDE
REPEATER CAMERA,
RIGHT HAND(1495867-
22-C)
LAMP ASY, SIDE
REPEATER CAMERA,
LEFT HAND(1495866-
22-C)
Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay
5 Concern: B-pillar cameras require replacement.
Removed and replaced LH & RH b pillar cameras.
Correction: Camera - B-Pillar - LH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
B-PILLAR CAMERA,
LEFT(1069104-SL-D)
11/22

A lot of people don't need replacement cameras. The service center should replace them if it is needed, and the owner can't necessarily determine whether or not replacement is needed. For instance, my June 2017 X (yes, June, even though everything you can read will tell you otherwise) came with FSD2.5 & the correct cameras. I bought it with single digit miles in September, so I'm not sure what happened to it between June & September, but I only needed the 3.0 computer and ran the beta for years before recently getting upgraded to supervised without ever having any of my cameras replaced.