Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who sell Teslas because they couldn't adopt EV life style?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Car Max to sell them my 2018 Model 3. I got the quote from them and they said mine had high miles at about 98,600 miles, so nearly 100k miles. They said they get Tesals with 10k-20k miles alot of times. But then, why would people sell their cars after just 10k miles, that seems like maybe driving for one year then they couldn't handle supercharging or charging the car so they gave up on the Tesla.

I think the only way you can actually be comfortable living with the Tesla is having a home base charging solution. Like a Wall Connector in your garage. But some people may live in apartments or rent thus can't install their own charger that is only for them. Or my friend who lives in LA, his home isn't a traditional house with a garage, it's a multi-unit housing thing and the cars are parked in a public space.

Because I have a Wall Connector in my garage, I always guaranteed to have 90%-100% and any local commute I do will make it back home without me worrying how to charge it. It eliminates the need to stop at a gas station every week and costs less so that's a huge perk.

I think it would suck if your living situation didn't allow you to "charge at home" and you were forced to charge outside like at a supercharger. That's like 1 hour you gotta dedicate to refueling at some point not being at home when you could have spent 0 hours and charge where you sleep. It be like having that inconvenience of the gas car needing to go to the gas station but instead of 5 minutes at the pump, you gotta spend 1 hour.

I do agree the road trips can be a hassle, sometimes I had to back track to a supercharger when my sleeping location didn't have a charger. Like my friend's house in Phoenix Arizona instead of charging at his home, I had to dedicate 30-60 minutes of time I couldn't be at his home. And the charger may require a 10 minute back track due to lack of charging in that city. I think it would be hard to visit rural places like Area 51 which I checked it has some supercharging but one part of that "circle" around Hiko NV has no supercharging I have no idea if you could make it driving on the North part of Area 51 highway. I have no need to visit a rural place so it's not a huge concert to me, I only intend to visit major tourist destinations.

You have a valid point, but people selling to CarMax was probably because the situation was advantageous. There was definitely a point in time where you could definitely flip your old Tesla for more $$$ and get a newer one for less $$$. If one had two cars and could live with one while waiting, why not?

Reactions: Yelobird
You’re jumping to conclusions a bit there. People get rid of ICE cars with low miles all the time too for a myriad of reasons.

Maybe they couldn’t afford it anymore. Maybe it didn’t fit their needs anymore or they didn’t like it as much as they thought they would. Maybe it was problematic but not bad enough to be a lemon. Maybe they recently got in an accident and had it repaired and wanted to dump it before it showed on carfax. Maybe they got bored of seeing 50 Teslas a day going to and from work. Maybe they upgraded to a newer one or a different color or to S/X. Maybe they just didn’t drive long distances, not because it’s an EV but they just simply don’t do road trips.

Not everyone keeps cars for 100k+ miles. In fact, most people don’t. Especially expensive cars, they tend to get dumped in 2-3 years by the first owner because they got bored and wanted something new/different.

If someone truly didn’t adapt to EV life they would have likely gotten rid of it much sooner than 10-20k which is like 1.5 years with average driving.

Plus before this January with the price cuts, people would often flip a brand new Tesla for a profit as soon as they got their title and registration because they were selling used for more than the price of new.

Reactions: DblOSmith