Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A tale of two Teslas.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I initially ordered my MY on Jan 22 2023 as an LR, but flipped to a MYP on Feb 5th, when it became eligible for the EV rebate.

My sister ordered a MYLR on Jan 24 2023 and stuck with it.

Because I also ordered the mobile charger, I have been using that in my garage to charge. Only two instances of charging elsewhere, both at superchargers.

They initially charged at work, but have since incorporated home charging with a mobile charger too. But they don’t park inside their garage.

Even though I work at the same place, I can’t use the charger because I do deliveries. So I’m never sitting long enough to make use of it.

Last night we both charged at home. I got some 20 kWh worth of charge over 16-17 hours, but they only got 1 over 12 hours they could charge. Temperatures should’ve been about the same -9f (I think), though they’re closer to the lake (about 1/2 mile) and I’m about 4 miles from the lake.

I’m pretty confident it was because they parked outside and I parked inside. Also because I drive most of the evening and they don’t. As soon as I got home, it showed a heating icon on my phone widget, which I assume means heating the battery. But after about two hours it added 1 kWh. So it didn’t seem like it needed to take too long.

My guess and what I told my brother-in-law when he brought this up is because his battery started colder and took a long time to warm up due to parking outside.

I advised him to move it into the garage or drive to heat up the battery. But after thinking about it, driving isn’t really usable since we don’t know how long it would take.

So yeah... us Level 1 chargers need a garage or something. I’m gonna advise him to setup the home charger they bought, but never used, if they want to charge outside at home. Assuming they didn't return it.

They have an attached garage and I believe a decent size main breaker. I have a detached garage and a 100 amp main breaker, meaning I have more to do to get a level 2 charger going.

Last edited:
Could it be due to them not plugging in immediately after a drive and therefore having a very cold battery to start with?

Additionally, L2 charging doesn't require LOTS of power. You might be able to get 15 or 20 amps at 240V, and don't even need to get an HPWC to get that.

Could it be due to them not plugging in immediately after a drive and therefore having a very cold battery to start with?

Additionally, L2 charging doesn't require LOTS of power. You might be able to get 15 or 20 amps at 240V, and don't even need to get an HPWC to get that.
So my brother-in-law gave me a few more specific details after my post.

He plugged it in immediately after getting home (8:30-9 pm). It started charging since he checked his phone after it got about a percent or two, but effectively stopped not long after. He checked his phone at about 2 am and it didn't charge anymore than that.

So I'm wondering if it either bugged out for some reason or if it got so cold that it heating the system took as much, if not more power than L1 could get.

There's no way I can get a 240v circuit to my garage without rewiring. There's only one in-bound circuit to the garage that gets split up for the various lights and outlets. And trying to rewire means digging a trench to bury the line to the garage (after digging out the old one). At that point, I'd rather just use a wall charger and go full (L2) speed.

I am also in Illinois and skipped the SC yesterday because of the long lines. I started charging yesterday afternoon at 50% using the mobile charger pulling 11amp. I leave mine outside in the driveway and after ~18hours, its at 55%. My guess is most of the power is going to warming up the battery. All the SC around me are busy - now I know why. 😅

As of 3 pm, I’ve also been charging for about 18 hours. Gained about 19% (from 43 to 62%), so that equates to 16-ish kWh and 2/3 of what I used yesterday.

If this keeps up, I’m definitely gonna have to hit the superchargers later this week, possibly Thursday or Friday. Then again, it should get warmer by then, so probably won’t need to. The weather is a mess, so who knows.

I noticed that the SCs in the northern burbs aren’t quite as busy as the ones in Chicago, but at the same time, most SCs seem to have at least a few non-working stalls. And then there are whole locations that are out too, Oaklawn, Lombard and Rosemont.

Well, if I do hit up an SC, it’ll most likely be after work (9pm or later) and should be less busy by then, if not mostly free.