Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Off Grid Solar Charging - MYP won't charge using UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

I am stumped on what to do next with my solar system and getting it to charge my MYP.

I have a 12V 300Ah Li Battery being charged by 2kW of solar, and 12V to 240V single phase Pure sinewave inverter. I'm running the Inverter through a transformer to create a split rail 120V-N-120V to give me L1 and L2 240V. I've put the scope on the inverter output and see the waveform, and checked the transformer outputs, and all seems good.

When i connect my wife's Ford mobile charger for her Mach E to this solar system, and connect to her car, all is fine and her car starts charging with no error messages.

When i connect the tesla UMC to the same power system (that works with the Ford) and plug in to my Tesla that's when things go wrong. The MYP sees the 230-240V. I've reduce the charge current to 5A just to make sure I'm not maxing anything out. The UMC relays are engaging but the car does not start to charge at all. I've connected the UMC to my home power supply to make sure the UMC is working. it works on the 110V and the 230V supplies in the home.

I've tried neutral/Ground bonding on the output of the inverter (the input to the transformer) and this makes no difference to the UMC or Ford charger operation.

I've purchased a second charger that is not a tesla charger to see if the UMC is the issue and the same thing occurs with that other charger when connecting to the Tesla from the solar system. The car sees the 240V system but won't charge. When i put this other charger into an outlet of my home, the MYP sees it and starts charging at the max charge level i've set. This other charger works fine with the Mach E also from the solar system and also from my home.

The upshot of all this is that my tesla doesn't seem to be able to charge from my solar system with any type of charger, but the Mach E can. I've tried simulating the grounding my home has, and made sure the system is doing what i think my home is doing. I've tried everything i can think off and done quite a bit of research, but just can't see to solve this.

Has anyone else has an issue with their UMC's not working on Solar but ok on their home power system?

Thanks in advance.

Does the inverter have an 120v option that you can try?
Also, when you put scope on the transformer, can you observe both outputs to see the phase relationship and make sure you truly have a 120-N-120?
hello Bp25 - thanks for getting back to me. After the transformer i have the split rail and can see the waveforms on both legs. They are 180* out of phase and aligned in the time domain. However the waveform from the inverter is a mess.

The waveform from the inverter is the issue for the tesla specifically i believe. It is a weird combination of a triangle wave overlaid onto to pseudo sine wave with some sharp dv/dt transitions. I wish i had a storage scope that i could add the waveforms here, but i don't have one.

I've purchased (Arriving today) a Low pass 30A LC filter to put on the output of the inverter and before the single phase to split phase transformer to clean up the hard edges (Harmonics) to see if that will solve the issue. I know the peak to peak might be affected with this and putting this on the single phase going into the transformer i'm hopping the Phase shift of the L and C cancel out and there is no shift in phase.

When i run from a generator and neutral bond, all is fine with the UMC, so i'm very certain the waveform is not what the Tesla is expecting or wanting.

I'll add to the thread when the filter arrives.

Reactions: Bp25
Upvote 0
So i put the filter in and the weird waveform remains "but it looks a lot cleaner!" lol!

There is no doubt the type of waveform is somehow not liked by the Tesla. I put the Ford mobile charger onto the system and it works ok with the Mach E. I used the Mach E charger on the Tesla - didn't work. Plugged the Mach E charger into the home power supply at 240 with the Tesla - worked fine!.

It totally seems to me that the waveform generated by the Inverter is not suitable for the tesla at all. The UMC seems like it is simply passing the waveform through to the car and the car simply can't take it.

The only thing i can't try because i don't have an adapter is the Tesla UMC charger on the Mach E to rule out the UMC and a waveform conflict.

I tried a generator today and this worked fine with the Ford charger and the UMC on the Tesla. So this is my off grid back up plan for when i'm remote. Was hoping to use the solar energy, but i think i'll need a different inverter for the Tesla.

Any other pointers on inverters would be gratefully received.

Thansk

Upvote 0
So i put the filter in and the weird waveform remains "but it looks a lot cleaner!" lol!

There is no doubt the type of waveform is somehow not liked by the Tesla. I put the Ford mobile charger onto the system and it works ok with the Mach E. I used the Mach E charger on the Tesla - didn't work. Plugged the Mach E charger into the home power supply at 240 with the Tesla - worked fine!.

It totally seems to me that the waveform generated by the Inverter is not suitable for the tesla at all. The UMC seems like it is simply passing the waveform through to the car and the car simply can't take it.

The only thing i can't try because i don't have an adapter is the Tesla UMC charger on the Mach E to rule out the UMC and a waveform conflict.

I tried a generator today and this worked fine with the Ford charger and the UMC on the Tesla. So this is my off grid back up plan for when i'm remote. Was hoping to use the solar energy, but i think i'll need a different inverter for the Tesla.

Any other pointers on inverters would be gratefully received.

Thansk
It’s true that the “charger” that we plug in to the car is really just a glorified connector. The real charger is in the car. So it’s possible that the Mach-e tolerates irregular waveforms better than Tesla.

Upvote 0
Hello all.

I am stumped on what to do next with my solar system and getting it to charge my MYP.

I have a 12V 300Ah Li Battery being charged by 2kW of solar, and 12V to 240V single phase Pure sinewave inverter. I'm running the Inverter through a transformer to create a split rail 120V-N-120V to give me L1 and L2 240V. I've put the scope on the inverter output and see the waveform, and checked the transformer outputs, and all seems good.

When i connect my wife's Ford mobile charger for her Mach E to this solar system, and connect to her car, all is fine and her car starts charging with no error messages.

When i connect the tesla UMC to the same power system (that works with the Ford) and plug in to my Tesla that's when things go wrong. The MYP sees the 230-240V. I've reduce the charge current to 5A just to make sure I'm not maxing anything out. The UMC relays are engaging but the car does not start to charge at all. I've connected the UMC to my home power supply to make sure the UMC is working. it works on the 110V and the 230V supplies in the home.

I've tried neutral/Ground bonding on the output of the inverter (the input to the transformer) and this makes no difference to the UMC or Ford charger operation.

I've purchased a second charger that is not a tesla charger to see if the UMC is the issue and the same thing occurs with that other charger when connecting to the Tesla from the solar system. The car sees the 240V system but won't charge. When i put this other charger into an outlet of my home, the MYP sees it and starts charging at the max charge level i've set. This other charger works fine with the Mach E also from the solar system and also from my home.

The upshot of all this is that my tesla doesn't seem to be able to charge from my solar system with any type of charger, but the Mach E can. I've tried simulating the grounding my home has, and made sure the system is doing what i think my home is doing. I've tried everything i can think off and done quite a bit of research, but just can't see to solve this.

Has anyone else has an issue with their UMC's not working on Solar but ok on their home power system?

Thanks

Try running a #8 pure copper wire from the nema 14/50 receptical earth ground (round prong) directly into the earth. Also keep the existing earth ground that goes to the pure sinewave inverter frame/to earth ground. So basically you will have two earth grounds and I believe this will resolve your issue. At last try disconnecting the inverter to ground, tricking the UMC with the single #8 from nema to earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Try running a #8 pure copper wire from the nema 14/50 receptical earth ground (round prong) directly into the earth.
I was thinking of that idea too. Pushing in a real physical ground rod would ensure that the ground is correct in case it's the "ground faking" methods that aren't working. That would at least check if it is that variable or not first, and if that doesn't fix it, then it would seem it has to be a problem with the wave of the power pins.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of that idea too. Pushing in a real physical ground rod would ensure that the ground is correct in case it's the "ground faking" methods that aren't working. That would at least check if it is that variable or not first, and if that doesn't fix it, then it would seem it has to be a problem with the wave of the power pins.
I’ve actually made it work that way!

Upvote 0
Is this resolved? I agree that a new inverter is needed as Sophias_Dad said, unless the grounding rod idea works first, and return the existing one if it says pure sine wave but the output is not that. Here is one option:

This company got good reviews too.

Upvote 0