Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Phase Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The main benefits are that it's more suited to be installed outside (eg. if you want to access it from a carport), and as a wired-in device there's fewer plug & socket connections in the way which each have the potential to degrade. A minor one is that the wall connecto also doubles as a hook to wrap the cable on.

Personally I'd go with the wall connector, it's hard to beat the convenience.
Nah... Those plug and socket connections will overlive most of the houses they are attached to. I put an $11 hook on the wall by the socket, looks good, matches the colour of everything :)

@Frapo
I believe the 3 Mobile Connector will suit your circumstances especially as it is single phase.
Unless you are going on frequent long distance trips or you have charging available at work where you might need to carry the Mobile connector with you, I would just leave the mobile connector plugged in to the garage wall socket with power turned off when not in use. When you do need to take the mobile connector with you just put it in the car.

There is a benefit to a Wall connector - the tesla app records the energy use per session of the Wall connector but does not do it for the Mobile connector. Not sure if this is a feature that you want to have. If you do then go with the Wall Connector.

Overall I would get the Mobile Connector first, see what your charging routines are like before deciding on the Wall Connector.
Even if you decide to get the Wall Connector, I would still get the Mobile connector for portability charging.

I don't need to buy two devices.
This is correct. And easy enough to leave the Mobile Connector plugged into the garage socket with power turned off.
Easy enough to put the mobile connector into car for the usually infrequent long trip.

The idea that its easier to leave the Mobile Connector in the car on the off chance that an quick unplanned long trip is needed is like the 4WDs around the place with the orange MaxTrax mounted to the roof racks - never know if the 4Wd needs to go off road at a moments notice👍

What is the benefit in installing a fixed wall charger, unless you have full 3 phase solar? I've installed 32A socket, bought the plug and UMC. This gives the same current as the wall charger, but I don't need to buy two devices.
I have a 32A WC out front of the house which while under an eve could get rained on etc which would be no good for a UMC.

The convenience of just plugging in is awesome, not having to set up the UMC etc. UMC stays in the boot for emergencies.

UMC would be ok if you park in a shed everyday.

Got a single phase home, i know few options are either:
1. UMC and plug it to normal power point but will be a slow charge
2. Get a 32a line installed by electrician and use UMC to get max 7kw output

I am also looking at these same options too.

I've just bought myself a UMC which is on its way (honestly Tesla, a $550 charging cable is no longer included?! This is 101 stuff).

I've received some quotes for an installation of a 15A and/or 32A circuit to accommodate the UMC to keep charging on it's own circuit rather than sharing with other outlets in my garage - I think I'm more leaning towards getting a circuit rated for 32A, but just keeping the outlet at 15A - that way I know that the line is rated for a lot more than it is drawing.

I do have a question though - I'd like to be able to keep track of charging and I know you can schedule charging and see consumption / charging in the car, but I'm thinking of using the UMC via a Smart Plug - something like the TP-Link Tapo P100.

It's rated for 10A / 2300W which I assume should be fine (I'd probably lower charging to 8A to be safe) - has anyone used this solution before?

Had a quote of $750 to install wall charger + 32A outlet and 62a main switch. Not sure if that is considered ok or expensive.

That is extremely cheap. I've had quotes of $1k+ for just a 32A circuit with a 15A powerpoint. This is on top of the $550 for the UMC! I am based in Melbourne though.

I do have a question though - I'd like to be able to keep track of charging and I know you can schedule charging and see consumption / charging in the car, but I'm thinking of using the UMC via a Smart Plug - something like the TP-Link Tapo P100.

It's rated for 10A / 2300W which I assume should be fine (I'd probably lower charging to 8A to be safe) - has anyone used this solution before?
It doesn't seem like a good idea. They probably aren't tested to run that kind of heavy load for long periods, on a regular basis, and unless you really don't drive much and are religious about plugging in, 8A is going to be pretty marginal for recharging. Adding an extra set of pins & socket in the path isn't ideal either.

I'd recommend starting by trying the stats reported by the car in the app, and if that turns out to be insufficient, get a CT added to the dedicated circuit in the switchboard for monitoring.

Reactions: Jules22 and dronus
I've received some quotes for an installation of a 15A and/or 32A circuit to accommodate the UMC to keep charging on it's own circuit rather than sharing with other outlets in my garage - I think I'm more leaning towards getting a circuit rated for 32A, but just keeping the outlet at 15A - that way I know that the line is rated for a lot more than it is drawing.

Remember that you can limit the number of amps drawn by the car via the app. You could use a 32A circuit and a third-party 32A tail, but set the maximum amps to something lower if that made you more comfortable.