Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

40amp Single Phase wall charger info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your car will have dual chargers, they are standard from 2016-2022 model S and X.
To 40a gen 1 charger that you have are great, rock solid compared to Gen2.

What you can do is get a tail with a plug put on your ev charger and just unplug your ev when you want to use your other tools if they sparky did upgrade your wiring.
Preparing to be proven wrong twice in one thread, but i don't think dual chargers were ever standard, always an option. And chargers changed completely sometime between 2015 and 2022 (at facelift if I recall) to the newer models capable of 17.5kW (no longer any 22kW option). :) The 17.5kW might be what you're thinking of, the dual charger option was literally installing a second 11kW charger along side the first.

Reactions: raynewman
Thanks heaps for that. Thanks everyone else too for chiming in.

My cars a March 2015 build. So I'm still not sure if dual charger. I can't find anything on the app that gives it away. Is there a way to confirm via the car?
Any options on the car are listed in the “specs & warranty” section on the app (bottom of the home screen) or on your tesla account. If its not showing as an option than you are unlikely to have it. I think the options are also listed on the cars central screen from one of the menu’s.

Preparing to be proven wrong twice in one thread, but i don't think dual chargers were ever standard, always an option. And chargers changed completely sometime between 2015 and 2022 (at facelift if I recall) to the newer models capable of 17.5kW (no longer any 22kW option). :) The 17.5kW might be what you're thinking of, the dual charger option was literally installing a second 11kW charger along side the first.
That comports with the table I posted earlier in the thread - the dual charger option only existed pre-Facelift (and the best way to find out if you have it is apparently to lift up the rear seats and count the chargers!).

The high power option in the new models was a paid upgrade for a while before it became standard.

Reactions: lennier
Any options on the car are listed in the “specs & warranty” section on the app (bottom of the home screen) or on your tesla account. If its not showing as an option than you are unlikely to have it. I think the options are also listed on the cars central screen from one of the menu’s.
Dual charger doesn't show in Specs on my 2014 S 85 even though it has 2.

• Informative
Reactions: paulp
That comports with the table I posted earlier in the thread - the dual charger option only existed pre-Facelift (and the best way to find out if you have it is apparently to lift up the rear seats and count the chargers!).

The high power option in the new models was a paid upgrade for a while before it became standard.
As others have mentioned the dual charger option should really be listed in the specs if the car has it, but failing that finding a public 22kW destination charger and plugging in is likely the easiest way to be sure. In fact plugging into a 3-phase charger of any sort might be sufficient, as the display should show the charging current as xx/32 amps for dual chargers rather than xx/16.

As others have mentioned the dual charger option should really be listed in the specs if the car has it, but failing that finding a public 22kW destination charger and plugging in is likely the easiest way to be sure. In fact plugging into a 3-phase charger of any sort might be sufficient, as the display should show the charging current as xx/32 amps for dual chargers rather than xx/16.
As long as the charger is capable of more than 16 AMPS; some aren't.
I just checked all screens on the console and the App - no mention of dual chargers.