Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who don't buy because of "charging time"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When we go on long multi-day road trips we do it for fun, there is no rush. So the extra accumulated hour it might take on the long distance days is not a problem. We enjoy the breaks.

Will echo this - particularly with my 2017 S75D.

With my 2023 XLR charging stops are cut down by ⅓ to ½ as well as the time to charge by ~½-⅓.

What’s interesting is the X is approaching what I used to do with my ICE’s back in the day in the sense charging is becoming better blended into stuff I would do anyways (e.g. stopping for an hour for lunch) vs having to stop for the sake of charging and nothing else.

The former borders being unnoticeable (assuming SC’ers exist where’d you be stopping anyways) while the latter is admittedly a PITA.

Similar discussion in this thread too: Which goes further for $43 - a Tesla or a Gas Car?

I just drive a 2020 MYP from Tallahassee, FL to central NJ a couple weeks ago. This is one of several long trips I’ve made in Tesla and non-Tesla EVs. The wait time is an overblown discussion. By the time I stretched out, got some water and a bathroom break the car was ready to go. I found it added negligible time to a 1200 mile trip.
Exactly! We’re so busy doing other things while charging on long road trips that we never have time to play games or watch videos.

I found a new charging spot near my area inside a covered parkingspace where people detail their cars while charging. So next time I go there, I'll be joining them too. They brought their detailing set. I’ll probably learn a thing or two from them.

Reactions: CyberGus
I'm just wondering about the people who are one the fence of buying a Tesla / EV because of how long it takes to charge.

Because they say filling up at the gas station is faster. But then, you have to do it at some point in your commute, meaning you will have to stop. Even if you only drove locally the entire week. This is something I felt was nice to not have to stop for gas all the time. And since I don't do road trips often maybe 4-6 a year, then it doesn't seem that big of a deal to have to wait to charge that few times a year. Rather than get gas all the time.

I would say road trips yeah it can feel like it is taking forever, and it's hard to always find something to do while charging. And some supercharger stops may have nothing to do. If every stop you did had an opportunity to charge then maybe you can feel like you are driving indefinitely. But then gas can get expensive for road trips especially when you don't prepare and fill up in the city. I was in Primm, gas was around $6 and someone asked me and my friend if we knew where cheaper gas was. So then, to drive a gas car at the lowest cost you may have to do more research which is like wasting time charging your car for cheap.

My friend claims he prefers his Honda Civic that gets 40 mpg. He has thing against Tesla he claims he cuts off all Tesla drivers because he doesn't agree or doesn't like automated driving. I don't mind his perspective. He doesn't seem to have an issue with gas prices because maybe if your car gets 40 mpg then you don't need to care about gas prices because your gas lasts longer? I know he doesn't enjoy the charging on road trips or doesn't really care about the idea of finding L2 charging next to a business we may visit. He is old fashioned and prefers just filling at the gas station. So do my parents. People think gas is more convenient even if it's more expensive. But then, for local commutes I think an EV makes more sense because you just charge at home.
My experience is a bit different. I plan my charging typically around lunch and dinner. I have had many a 650 mile EV day and because I need to eat anyway there is no more time spent in my Tesla than in a gasser. For the other 45 weeks a year that I am at home and EV is much faster as I wake to a full battery every morning.

IMHO, this is the wrong way to think about charging an EV. You shouldn't be going someplace to charge and then look for something to do; you should go someplace to do something and be able to charge your car while you do your activity. Of course, in some cases the infrastructure doesn't yet exist to make this possible all the time, and that's a limiting factor for EV adoption for people who can't charge at home. (I'd like for there to be DC fast chargers at every supermarket, for instance.) On road trips, at least those I've taken (based in Rhode Island and traveling as far as Cincinnati), finding charging during travel stops not an issue for me, in a 2019 LR RWD Model 3. Driving safety experts recommend driving for no more than two hours between stops. Even if you stretch that to three hours, an EV with 180 miles of range (round up to 250 or 300 miles for reasons we all know) is adequate. Pick where to eat, take a bathroom break, etc., based on the presence of charging and you're set. A Tesla's navigation is excellent at helping out with that.

Precisely. If your bladder is not currently the limiting factor, wait a few years. It will be.

I hope your friend doesn't kill somebody. I'd suggest he watch some Wham Bam Teslacam videos, but somehow I think he'd find them amusing and keep driving in an unsafe manner, rather than learn how dangerous that sort of driving is.

That's not been my experience (see above), although that is with the LR RWD (with 250 miles of rated range) and living in a significantly warmer climate -- although Rhode Island is hardly tropical. For road tripping in more frigid climates, more range is obviously highly desirable.
Agree mostly, I'm also at that age where the bladder doesn't let me sleep thru the night or drive for hours on end without a stop.

Having said that, I've never had to take a 20 piss! 😂🤣

As the expression goes, haters gonna hate. If they hate Tesla or EV's in general, so be it. Often times people ask me intelligent questions about cost and charging, because they don't know. Once in a while someone starts to rant about road trip charging times or EV's are really bad for the environment and I just respond with, fine, keep buying gas cars. That's what you want to do so who is stopping you?
Yeah but they sure do piss and moan when gas prices go up fifty cents a gallon!

Time to invade the middle east and take their oil.

Yeah, because we all know how cheap wars are and how quickly and cheaply we can build refining and distribution capabilities.

Great plan Skippy

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm just wondering about the people who are one the fence of buying a Tesla / EV because of how long it takes to charge.

Because they say filling up at the gas station is faster. But then, you have to do it at some point in your commute, meaning you will have to stop. Even if you only drove locally the entire week. This is something I felt was nice to not have to stop for gas all the time. And since I don't do road trips often maybe 4-6 a year, then it doesn't seem that big of a deal to have to wait to charge that few times a year. Rather than get gas all the time.

I would say road trips yeah it can feel like it is taking forever, and it's hard to always find something to do while charging. And some supercharger stops may have nothing to do. If every stop you did had an opportunity to charge then maybe you can feel like you are driving indefinitely. But then gas can get expensive for road trips especially when you don't prepare and fill up in the city. I was in Primm, gas was around $6 and someone asked me and my friend if we knew where cheaper gas was. So then, to drive a gas car at the lowest cost you may have to do more research which is like wasting time charging your car for cheap.

My friend claims he prefers his Honda Civic that gets 40 mpg. He has thing against Tesla he claims he cuts off all Tesla drivers because he doesn't agree or doesn't like automated driving. I don't mind his perspective. He doesn't seem to have an issue with gas prices because maybe if your car gets 40 mpg then you don't need to care about gas prices because your gas lasts longer? I know he doesn't enjoy the charging on road trips or doesn't really care about the idea of finding L2 charging next to a business we may visit. He is old fashioned and prefers just filling at the gas station. So do my parents. People think gas is more convenient even if it's more expensive. But then, for local commutes I think an EV makes more sense because you just charge at home.
Cutting off ANY car for ANY reason is stupid, childish and dangerous. You should tell your friend to grow up. As for charging, most people refuel their ICE cars once a week, more or less. Assuming 5 minute to do this (best case) that’s FOUR HOURS a year spent fueling their car. If you can charge an EVat home, you essentially never have to spend any time charging except when you are driving long distance. And in that case you probably should take a break from driving ANYWAY every couple of hours. As for “having nothing g to do” while charging, this again sounds like a kid whining to me.

Agree mostly, I'm also at that age where the bladder doesn't let me sleep thru the night or drive for hours on end without a stop.

Having said that, I've never had to take a 20 piss! 😂🤣
One of the small, but not insignificant, things I do on road trips at the supercharger: As soon as I put the car in park, I'm opening the car door, stepping out and plugging in. Any time spent first fumbling around with a wallet, jacket, hat, checking my phone, looking at the route planner, gathering up trash, asking who needs to use the restroom or what snack they want, is all wasted time. Fortunately I have not yet encountered heavy rain during a stop, but the only added step then would be grabbing the umbrella from the center console.

I've taken four long road trips in my 2023MYLR. I start each early in the morning with 100% battery and an empty stomach. I also limit my liquid intake. This (usually) allows me to take advantage of the full battery and make the start-to-first-SC leg the longest. As others have noted, from the first supercharger onward, I'm only getting enough juice to get me to the next charger with about 10% reserve. For most stops the car is ready to go by the time I go to the restroom and grab snacks and a drink. If the charging is not quite done, it's a perfect time to do some stretching.

I do have to admit that if you are looking to optimize your time or your travel experience, an EV does take a little more planning and strategizing than does an ICE vehicle. For example, when I travel from San Antonio to central Mississippi, the Tesla nav tends to take me to the Nacogdoches TX V2 SC and then to the Shreveport, Louisiana SC. But the Shreveport SC (also a V2) is on the outer parking lot rim of a dying shopping mall that does not have a food court. The nearest fast food place is not a short walk and the neighborhood is a bit sketchy, especially at night. Also, access on and off the freeway is awkward. This will all be solved when the Bossier City SC finally comes on line several miles further down I-20. Until then, I will usually just spend several extra minutes at the Madisonville TX SC to get enough extra juice to let me bypass Nacogdoches and get to the Carthage TX V3 SC (for those who don't know, Texas is HUGE). From Carthage, it's easy to get enough charge to blast through Shreveport and get to the Ruston Louisiana V3 SC. The Ruston SC site has easier freeway access and much better walking-distance amenities than does Shreveport.

One of the small, but not insignificant, things I do on road trips at the supercharger: As soon as I put the car in park, I'm opening the car door, stepping out and plugging in. Any time spent first fumbling around with a wallet, jacket, hat, checking my phone, looking at the route planner, gathering up trash, asking who needs to use the restroom or what snack they want, is all wasted time. Fortunately I have not yet encountered heavy rain during a stop, but the only added step then would be grabbing the umbrella from the center console.

I've taken four long road trips in my 2023MYLR. I start each early in the morning with 100% battery and an empty stomach. I also limit my liquid intake. This (usually) allows me to take advantage of the full battery and make the start-to-first-SC leg the longest. As others have noted, from the first supercharger onward, I'm only getting enough juice to get me to the next charger with about 10% reserve. For most stops the car is ready to go by the time I go to the restroom and grab snacks and a drink. If the charging is not quite done, it's a perfect time to do some stretching.

I do have to admit that if you are looking to optimize your time or your travel experience, an EV does take a little more planning and strategizing than does an ICE vehicle. For example, when I travel from San Antonio to central Mississippi, the Tesla nav tends to take me to the Nacogdoches TX V2 SC and then to the Shreveport, Louisiana SC. But the Shreveport SC (also a V2) is on the outer parking lot rim of a dying shopping mall that does not have a food court. The nearest fast food place is not a short walk and the neighborhood is a bit sketchy, especially at night. Also, access on and off the freeway is awkward. This will all be solved when the Bossier City SC finally comes on line several miles further down I-20. Until then, I will usually just spend several extra minutes at the Madisonville TX SC to get enough extra juice to let me bypass Nacogdoches and get to the Carthage TX V3 SC (for those who don't know, Texas is HUGE). From Carthage, it's easy to get enough charge to blast through Shreveport and get to the Ruston Louisiana V3 SC. The Ruston SC site has easier freeway access and much better walking-distance amenities than does Shreveport.
EV charging is a travel center's best friend. The 20-30 minute charge times make it more likely for customers to come into the store and shop. Since the profits are earned inside and not at the pump, the opportunities are tremendous. Places like Buc-ees already understand this. The one closest to where I live now has both Tesla SCs and the new Mercedes Chargepoint network chargers.

One benefit to charging is that it does sort of force you to take a little time of driving to refresh. Having an opportunity to stretch your legs, or even take a nap, without feeling like you are losing time helps you stay alert when you get back on the road, reducing the risk of accident later on.

As the EV charging networks expand (Tesla and others), we will have more selection and will be able to prioritize where we stop based on services offered, charging speed, location, etc. Smart developers should be looking at how to maximize the charging experience so that customers want to do something other than sit in the car while their cars charge.

Smart developers should be looking at how to maximize the charging experience so that customers want to do something other than sit in the car while their cars charge.
That's one of my primary things I do and recommend to every new EV owner. Always go walk somewhere, anywhere after you plug in. Even if it's just across the street to go get a coffee or iced tea or whatever. Sitting in the car makes things feel boring. If you at least go somewhere, even if you do the quickest thing you can do and then walk back, 10 or 15 minutes will already be gone, and you've used up at least half of that "waiting" time without noticing it.

Reactions: jboy210 and DrGriz
Think Tesla might allow our vehicles and video to be hit with the local merchant advertising, like when you walk into a store and your iphone shows the vendor app. We can be pinged with come inside and buy something, a special. Tesla can make money off of the customer steering.
Could happen.

• Disagree
Reactions: Earl
Think Tesla might allow our vehicles and video to be hit with the local merchant advertising, like when you walk into a store and your iphone shows the vendor app. We can be pinged with come inside and buy something, a special. Tesla can make money off of the customer steering.
Could happen.
If that happened, I would immediately use the car's web browser to buy a competitor's car.

with sales down over the last 20 years, they are getting desperate, all of them
no where to hide
1708396742270.png