Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

People who don't buy because of "charging time"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, some folks (such as me) like to ride horses and sail boats too. Nothing wrong with it.
I used to enjoy driving our 5-speed manual diesel Rabbit in the mountains. If you didn't shift in time during the switchbacks, you crawled up the next grade. I definitely don't miss a manual when stuck in traffic though. I particularly hate a 6-speed in urban traffic like the rental I was stuck with last week. I did get a good right arm and left leg workout though.
There are also those who put in aftermarket exhausts and drill holes in mufflers because they like the noise . . .
Lol, like back in college, my civic on downnpipe. I thought I was cool. Lol no judgement here, get the car that best represent you and not what others drive and feeling FOMO. Right now as of this moment I’m enjoying my 3 and S. 3 for short drive and going to work. S for family and long drive. We’re not into outdoors and snow and we live in Orange County. We have 11 superchargers within 5 miles radius with more than 150 ports. What we have is perfect atm.

The last half-dozen or so posts have nothing at all to do with EV charging times. Indeed they consist of much heat, and little light.

Please try to be civil with each other folks.

Thanks,

Bruce.
At the risk of being penalized by moderators: I would like to add that preferences for other things instead of 'charging time' is related to some degree. This is especially true when one must make apples -vs- orange tradeoffs when selecting one's preferences.
So often, we see someone (often a troll, but not always) say: EV's "can't do this" or "do this poorly", therefore, the old thing is best. If not trolls, they often take for granted different disadvantages of ICE upon which they're accustomed.
Therefore, I wouldn't say 'nothing at all to do with EV charging times' but agree that they are drifting off-topic.

...I would like to add that preferences for other things instead of 'charging time' is related to some degree. This is especially true when one must make apples -vs- orange tradeoffs when selecting one's preferences.
Mentioned upthread the context of charging time needs to be considered.

Yes, it's true an EV may take 7h+ to charge but if one can do so at home, overnight, while sleeping, the 'time cost' is negligible.

If one's situation precludes at-home overnight charging, the calculus changes.

We usually charge at the house. If we need to going out, well, then we can get food, play Sudoku or on my Nintendo Switch while waiting. Try to outrun our little Casper? You better hope you're driving a Tesla yourself! (I feel like hugging him every time I see gas prices here in California. I can't wait for that electric GMC Denali to come out!)

Reactions: DrGriz
I am asked relatively often, considering I actively do not talk about my car anywhere but on here because I don't want to talk about charging it's like talking about points rewards on a credit card it's the least interesting part of travel. I tell people if you're the type to fly for anything over say, 8 hours' drive, then anything you're likely to road trip now, you're not likely to mind the charge time in a newer, long-range Tesla. It just isn't that big a factor. Maybe 2-3 15-20 minute stops if you leave at 100% depending on which model it is, and the weather. Not a big deal.

If you're routinely doing 16+ hour road trips in an ICE car, cannonballing with 5 minute bathroom stops across the country, you're gonna have to make a lot of adjustments, but you might be surprised how much better rested you are when you arrive, even if you arrive 2-3 hours later than when you were cannonballing your ICE car

As for charge time for daily use, well, if you are lucky enough to have a place to put a 240v plug in, it's not an issue. If you don't...I don't recommend getting an EV unless you can get free or very low cost charging somewhere else

Last edited:
the value of not needing to pull into gas stations every few hundred miles, no oil changes, longer lasting brakes, no exhaust systems, no smell, no rattling engines at idle, instant torque, no annoying gear shifting transmissions,
If one wishes to promote EVs over ICE, this is how you do it. Not threats, force, mandates, fear, or bribery. Promote these things, share your experience, leave the zealotry and preachiness behind. Let folks (that you trust, anyway) drive your car and watch the grin break out when they get a chance to stomp on it.

If one wishes to promote EVs over ICE, this is how you do it. Not threats, force, mandates, fear, or bribery. Promote these things, share your experience, leave the zealotry and preachiness behind. Let folks (that you trust, anyway) drive your car and watch the grin break out when they get a chance to stomp on it.
That last bit is surprisingly compelling - everyone who has tried it has been pleasantly surprised, to put it mildly. And mine is one of the slow ones

That last bit is surprisingly compelling - everyone who has tried it has been pleasantly surprised, to put it mildly. And mine is one of the slow ones
It's what sold me. Dad's friend let me drive his M3LR one day and I literally giggled after getting to floor it. It just took two-something more years for my finances, the pricing, and family vehicle needs to align.

I let my mom, dad, and mother-in-law drive my car last week and all of them were really impressed at the smoothness, quiet, and handling. Mom & Dad will be going electric on their next vehicle, but only once one of their current ones dies. Of course, if Ford comes out with an electric (or maybe even PHEV) Maverick or Ranger at a decent price...

<snip> Of course, if Ford comes out with an electric (or maybe even PHEV) Maverick or Ranger at a decent price...
You mean something like one of these:
1688066352386.png

I timed my parents from the moment they pulled off route to go to the gas station (pump gas only, no restroom or food) and get back on route. Roughly 10 mins of total time. They get gas 4-5 times a month. I went with 4 and that every trip to the station was local an no more than 10 mins, no waiting, no red lights, and that's 40 mins a week, 480 a year, or about 8 hours spent getting gas. I charge at home every night and if I look at all my trips a year that use supercharging, is about the same amount of time.
Not to mention all the time waiting for your car to have its oil changed. Even if only 2 times per year you need to add another hour to that total.

Reactions: fasteddie7
Mentioning that yours is one of the slow ones always gets the attention of hardcore muscle car guys since they're usually thinking to themselves (or out loud) that the performance they've just experienced is impressive.

I have driven from Toronto to New York many many times both in Ice and my Model 3. In the Ice car I can do it with 1 gas and bathroom stop and possibly (likely) a second quick restroom break - (I find that no one in my family is interested in a 20 minute lunch stop for an 8 hour drive) and gas and bathroom at the same time means I can do the trip in a comfortable 8 hours. Yes, that is going at a good speed but doing it in the Model 3 will require 2 charges and possibly a 3rd if I want to arrive with a decent amount of charge and that is an extra 40+ minutes. Not a huge amount of time, but still longer than driving an ice car. It just is.

On the way home, assuming I am leaving from the city or somewhere that I do not have an opportunity to leave with a full charge I will almost certainly need the 3rd stop to avoid long deep charges at the SC.

I am not saying it is a problem and yes many people can coordinate charging stops with 20 - 25 minute lunch stops so the delta is not much better, but I have always thought and still think it is disingenuous to say that there is not much difference between long distance travel in an EV and an ice car. There may be lots of advantages (and some disadvantages), but even two 15 - 18 minute stops to charge (not including getting off the highway to get to the SC, possibly a small wait if stalls are crowded so slower charging speeds) can be a material difference to one gas and pee stop and then possibly another quick bathroom break.

Two or three 15 - 20 minutes stops can be a big deal over what might otherwise be an 8 hour drive.

Not to mention all the time waiting for your car to have its oil changed. Even if only 2 times per year you need to add another hour to that total.

We have annual inspections, and I'd get things done then.

I also have my tires swapped for winter, which added a 2nd opportunity (Inspection done at time of winter swap on).

Plus, I have a place within walking distance so it's not actually an hour of my time.

I have driven from Toronto to New York many many times both in Ice and my Model 3. In the Ice car I can do it with 1 gas and bathroom stop and possibly (likely) a second quick restroom break - (I find that no one in my family is interested in a 20 minute lunch stop for an 8 hour drive) and gas and bathroom at the same time means I can do the trip in a comfortable 8 hours. Yes, that is going at a good speed but doing it in the Model 3 will require 2 charges and possibly a 3rd if I want to arrive with a decent amount of charge and that is an extra 40+ minutes. Not a huge amount of time, but still longer than driving an ice car. It just is.

On the way home, assuming I am leaving from the city or somewhere that I do not have an opportunity to leave with a full charge I will almost certainly need the 3rd stop to avoid long deep charges at the SC.

I am not saying it is a problem and yes many people can coordinate charging stops with 20 - 25 minute lunch stops so the delta is not much better, but I have always thought and still think it is disingenuous to say that there is not much difference between long distance travel in an EV and an ice car. There may be lots of advantages (and some disadvantages), but even two 15 - 18 minute stops to charge (not including getting off the highway to get to the SC, possibly a small wait if stalls are crowded so slower charging speeds) can be a material difference to one gas and pee stop and then possibly another quick bathroom break.

Two or three 15 - 20 minutes stops can be a big deal over what might otherwise be an 8 hour drive.
This ^^ is why I avoid the topic of comparison with new buyers. They always focus on 1 use example to stand firm. Similar to those that look at the car purchase based on the Purchase price vs the cost to Own long term. For me it all balances out and works great when you look at the Big picture. (Rough math) 52 7 minute stops for gas per year vs 3-4 15 minute stop when long range traveling is a wash when topping at night at home. Add in (15K annual) 5 oil changes with Time/cost, emission testing 2 times per year, general maintenance, and it all becomes a similar balance of time long game. Works for me, don’t need to convince anyone change is easy.

If you drive more than 4 hours Everytime don’t do Tesla for now. Besides that, what else you can ask for from Tesla over any other vehicle. The bonding with my family and my wife got closer than when we don’t drive Tesla.

I always amazed how a people can also use the bathroom in the 5 mins it supposedly takes them to fill up their car at the pump.

I think they forget about that part.

When we go on long multi-day road trips we do it for fun, there is no rush. So the extra accumulated hour it might take on the long distance days is not a problem. We enjoy the breaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberGus