Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep 260 range. I just spoke to the Tesla service representative on the phone and they said that the battery is in excellent condition and suggested that we turn off camera based detection as that feature is meant for the 2023 models and also to switch to auto for air conditioning as opposed to manual and lastly suggested that we completely log out of the app when we’re not driving. Apparently this will reduce energy consumption and they say in about a month if we follow these steps, our range should go back to a much higher capacity.. fingers crossed. I’ll check back in a month.
You should not need to log out of the Tesla app when not driving. But if you're using other 3rd-party apps that access your car - those might keep the car awake. If that's happening then you'd probably see a range less than 260 miles.

Before a trip if I charge my model y long range with the optional 20 inch factory wheels (forget what they are called), if I charge to 100 percent the night before leaving based on local driving here in southeast Michigan using the heater I expect I would get a 180 mile range tha is arriving at a supercharger with 10 percent remaining assuming I leave home with 100 percen. Is this pretty normal

If this is normal no wonder why so many people don’t feel good about EV’s that is horrible range

Cold weather will reduce the maximum range you can get. The impact is due to degraded performance of a cold battery and use of the heater. Given your location in Michigan, I assume it was pretty cold during your drive. Another big factor that affects EV range is high speed. Cold weather and high speed together could easily account for the 180 mile range you’re getting.

Last edited:
If you charge your car, just before leaving, your battery will be warmed up, and you will get better range.

Optimizing your charge times and knowing how EV's work will give you better results.

ICE vehicles have their own issues. If you warm your ICE car up for 30 minutes before driving off, make only short trips in cold weather, you will get less range as well.

Cold weather will reduce the maximum range you can get. The impact is due to degraded performance of a cold battery and use of the heater. Given your location in Michigan, I assume it was pretty cold during your drive. Another big factor that affects EV range is high speed. Cold weather and high speed together could easily account for the 180 mile range you’re getting.
The range hasn't changed any since I bought the car in early September when the temperature was in the 80's, Ive never driven this car over 65 mph I always acellerate very gently and use as few accessories as possible to conserve energy just wondering if 180 miles is what is normal

The range hasn't changed any since I bought the car in early September when the temperature was in the 80's, Ive never driven this car over 65 mph I always acellerate very gently and use as few accessories as possible to conserve energy just wondering if 180 miles is what is normal
So, to be clear, you are saying you charge your long range MY with 20" induction wheels to 100%, and after you drive 180 miles, not exceeding 65 mph, you have 10% left after 180 miles and that is your consistent experience no matter the outdoor temperature?

What is your average watt hour per mile?

The use of air conditioning also reduces range, although at 80 deg it shouldn't be too much of a draw unless you have your cabin temp set very low. I'm surprised you're getting only 180 miles while driving in that temp at 65 mph and not accelerating much.

I would say quit thinking in terms of miles. Just think SOC or % of charge. Drive the car and go to the Supercharger it tells you to go to. Relax, get a snack, charge up, and continue your trip. Seriously, stop thinking about range and enjoy the car.

Think back to your ICE car. Did you worry about range? Probably not. You just drove it until it needed some gas. Then you stopped and filled up. Same with your EV. Just drive it until it needs some electrons and then stop to fill up. The advantage you have is that your car will tell you exactly when and where to stop.

Before a trip if I charge my model y long range with the optional 20 inch factory wheels (forget what they are called), if I charge to 100 percent the night before leaving based on local driving here in southeast Michigan using the heater I expect I would get a 180 mile range tha is arriving at a supercharger with 10 percent remaining assuming I leave home with 100 percen. Is this pretty normal

If this is normal no wonder why so many people don’t feel good about EV’s that is horrible range
Yep, a lot like driving a motorcycle.

On long road trips, don’t stomp on the pedal in the middle of nowhere even if you’re bored and there’s nothing around for miles. I almost learned the hard way at 0% and 7 miles remaining and made it with a bit of range anxiety. Tesla made precise adjustments to the calculations while before it was conservative and had at least 10% remaining.

The use of air conditioning also reduces range, although at 80 deg it shouldn't be too much of a draw unless you have your cabin temp set very low. I'm surprised you're getting only 180 miles while driving in that temp at 65 mph and not accelerating much.
180 miles seems awfully low. On a side note, to those who say just drive and charge up, and not worry about it, that’s your philosophy and you’re certainly welcome to it. The problem is many of us bought this car thinking we’d get somewhere around 300 miles of range. Real world in extreme conditions could knock it down below 200. that’s a huge difference and quite honestly deceptive in my opinion. ICE cars don’t have this variance in range so it is quite an adjustment. I love my Model Y and don’t take long trips, but if I were to travel often I would be awfully upset with 180 miles + 10% of actual range.

180 miles seems awfully low. On a side note, to those who say just drive and charge up, and not worry about it, that’s your philosophy and you’re certainly welcome to it. The problem is many of us bought this car thinking we’d get somewhere around 300 miles of range. Real world in extreme conditions could knock it down below 200. that’s a huge difference and quite honestly deceptive in my opinion. ICE cars don’t have this variance in range so it is quite an adjustment. I love my Model Y and don’t take long trips, but if I were to travel often I would be awfully upset with 180 miles + 10% of actual range.
I agree with what you say. Overall I just don’t use my model y for anything more than close to home stuff, besides the somewhat deceptive range overall I like this vehicle but so glad I have a ICE car for distance.

I agree with what you say. Overall I just don’t use my model y for anything more than close to home stuff, besides the somewhat deceptive range overall I like this vehicle but so glad I have a ICE car for distance.
This week we had our first big snowfall in Iowa. I got a chance to test the car in the snow and ice and believe it handled very well. I was pleasantly surprised. I love the car and rarely travel long distances. Like you, I have another vehicle as an option.
here is an example of a dilemma I’m dealing with which I didn’t think would be a big deal when I first purchased the car. Wife is out of town this weekend with ICE car and we have a basketball tournament 80 miles away. On the way back have to go 15 miles out of my way to pick up another child. Overall distance shouldn’t be more than 180 miles. I don’t think this will be an issue, but given the post about having 180 mile range + 10% it certainly puts some doubt in the back of your head. In my mind, the pros far outweigh the cons however, this con is a little surprising to me.

Wife is out of town this weekend with ICE car and we have a basketball tournament 80 miles away. On the way back have to go 15 miles out of my way to pick up another child. Overall distance shouldn’t be more than 180 miles. I don’t think this will be an issue, but given the post about having 180 mile range + 10% it certainly puts some doubt in the back of your head. In my mind, the pros far outweigh the cons however, this con is a little surprising to me.
I have found the SOC the nav system predicts you will have when you reach your destination to be very accurate, so I always use it on out of town trips even when I know the route. That way if there is going to be a problem, it will send you to a SuC. Hopefully there will be one that will be on your route and you will not have to go out of your way. You probably will not have to charge, but if you do it will probably be less than 5 or 10 minutes to get home with a reasonable safety margin (say 20%). I agree, if you have to go out of your way that is a con.

Last edited:
Well, I can say that ICE car have a variance. Just plenty of folks don't care. Using the receipts every time I pumped gas in my 2010 Honda Fit Sport for a few years, I could see that during hot summers and winter (maybe even cold late fall/early spring) the MPG was always lower than when there are moderate temperatures.

The hot summers is because the engine has to work a little bit harder to power the AC system. Cold weather has influences on running conditions. Some say it’s denser air causing more resistance to the airflow, blah blah blah. It should be sufficient to say, there’s an effect in winter.

Don’t have to take my word for it… Fuel Economy in Cold Weather.

There was more I typed, but it might be off topic, so I’ll leave it out.

Well, I can say that ICE car have a variance. Just plenty of folks don't care. Using the receipts every time I pumped gas in my 2010 Honda Fit Sport for a few years, I could see that during hot summers and winter (maybe even cold late fall/early spring) the MPG was always lower than when there are moderate temperatures.

The hot summers is because the engine has to work a little bit harder to power the AC system. Cold weather has influences on running conditions. Some say it’s denser air causing more resistance to the airflow, blah blah blah. It should be sufficient to say, there’s an effect in winter.

Don’t have to take my word for it… Fuel Economy in Cold Weather.

There was more I typed, but it might be off topic, so I’ll leave it out.
I don’t disagree with you. I guess the difference is with actual vs estimated range, availability of super chargers and time to charge. All of those combined make it a pain but to each his own. Also Never heard of an ICE vehicle losing 40% of range due to hot or cold.

I don’t disagree with you. I guess the difference is with actual vs estimated range, availability of super chargers and time to charge. All of those combined make it a pain but to each his own. Also Never heard of an ICE vehicle losing 40% of range due to hot or cold.
You’re right in that ICE cars don’t lose that much, but its more inherent to the technologies.

ICE, by default generates and wastes a lot of heat. Heat it can use when you want to warm up the cabin.

EVs don’t generate as much waste heat for it use, so it has to generate more to keep you warm. According to the car, of the 13.6% I've consumed so far, 2.2% was for the climate.

Fuel economy tests show that, in city driving, a conventional gasoline car's gas mileage is roughly 15% lower at 20°F than it would be at 77°F.
and
When the cabin heater is not used, EV fuel economy is 8% lower at 20°F than at 75°F. Driving range is about 12% lower.

Conversely, imagine the MPG/range ICE could’ve had if all that heat went into moving the car instead. Then EV’s biggest con would be super dramatic, that is the energy density by volume/weight compared to gas.

Last edited:
Reactions: pipestem