Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model X at the NAIAS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm affraid Tesla's batteries won't last long in Dubai. Temperatures over 40C or 100F will kill batteries fast.
How is that even relevant?
Untitled.png

Tesla would no more debut the Model X at the Detroit Auto Show than Apple would debut its new product at CES.
On that note, there WAS a Model X on display at CES 2015 in Vegas at the Panasonic booth.

I was there. I physically saw it and took a few pics. We couldn't sit inside though but they did have the doors opened. I also took pics of the cargo area and the frunk (which they did open for someone, at one point).

eh seems irrelevant considering they sell the car in phoenix which is just as hot as dubai. My original point was that Tesla still hasn't sold the car in its biggest international markets yet. Temperature is irrelevant. The same could be argued about extremely cold locales.

- - - Updated - - -

Untitled.png

Climate is irrelevant for where Tesla expands next.

Tesla's Factory Test Track / Google Map link

More to the point, real world testing doesn't really test much because you don't get as many miles on it as you could if you have, say autopilot driving very fast around test tracks.

(Another benefit of Autopilot/autonomy: if the car can drive itself, you can get loads more testing done.)

They have a test track right on their property behind and southeast of the factory:

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.4807225,-121.9354704,1036a,20y,41.43t/data=!3m1!1e3

During the daytime, whenever I drive by (I live in Fremont overlooking the factory to the NW), I always see several Model S' driving around on it.

They could be doing all the Model X dry road testing they want between 1-4 am on this track and no one would be the wiser. Even if somebody saw it, they wouldn't be able to photograph much of it. Of course, Tesla will have to go elsewhere to test it in winter conditions.

I predict that if the Model X reveal event is held at the factory, then they will use their test track to give us "Model X Rides".

In fact, yesterday I was at the factory store test-driving a couple of Model S P85D's in "INSANE" mode :biggrin: with a friend of mine who might buy one instead of waiting for his 5,000+ MX reservation. The Tesla Rep said to expect we'll be invited to the Factory for a reveal event "much like the Model S". One of the Tesla people asked if we'd seen the new production line that can build both vehicles? Then she made some weird comment about they are running "cardboard" (yes she used that word) versions of Model X bodies down the line to test the geometries of something. I should have asked her follow-up questions. Made me wish I'd just tagged along with a very large group of Europeans when I first arrived that were there for a "friends and family" tour at 5 pm to see it for myself, but I was there with my friend to test drive and advise him. (The CIO and CFO are friends of his, and he'd already toured the factory during the summer, thus was not interested in touring it again.)

Tesla people asked if we'd seen the new production line that can build both vehicles? Then she made some weird comment about they are running "cardboard" (yes she used that word) versions of Model X bodies down the line to test the geometries of something. I should have asked her follow-up questions. Made me wish I'd just tagged along with a very large group of Europeans when I first arrived that were there for a "friends and family" tour at 5 pm to see it for myself, but I was there with my friend to test drive and advise him. (The CIO and CFO are friends of his, and he'd already toured the factory during the summer, thus was not interested in touring it again.)
Could you clarify if the factory guide was talking about the overall car assembly line that was upgraded this summer, or about body in white line that was supposed to be constructed in Q1 2015?

Thanks

<stuff>

The hotter the climate, the shorter the life span of batteries. I know Tesla has temperature control of battery pack. But if AC runs 24/7 to maintain reasonable battery temperature, it will drain batteries fast. It will also cause cycle wear.

When the car's plugged in the additional cycle load will be 0 and the additional discharge rate will be 0C because it'll use shore power.
When the car's being driven or parked unplugged the additional load would be less than 3kW, a whopping C/20 or 3C/85. Don't drive the car up hills or on highways, it'll kill the battery!

Tesla hasn't even reached the full international demand for the model S. They still haven't entered the largest luxury car markets in the world yet (Dubai and Seoul). The fact that they haven't expanded to cities like this suggests they are still demand constrained. In a place like Seoul, gas is $8-10/gallon.
The two largest luxury car markets in the world are the US and China. While Tesla hasn't entered all internation markets yet, some of the markets they have entered are approaching saturation. Norway is one example. For a period when the Model S was introduced, we were the biggest market after the US, but that has changed. In In Q4 2013, 1178 Model S were delivered, in Q1 2014, 2056 Model S were delivered, while in Q4 2014, 505 Model S were delivered. The numbers appear to have settled at a plateau of around 500-1000 Model S deliveries per quarter.

IMHO, Tesla is in a pattern of constantly introducing the Model S in new markets, and when the initial pent-up demand is met, they introduce the Model S somewhere else. This can't continue. Now there aren't very many significant markets left to introduce the Model S. This will be compensated for with the "D" in the short term, but in a few months most of the initial demand for the D will be met, and Tesla will need something new if they want to continue expanding. That something new can only be the Model X.

Cold is actually good for battery longevity, as long as it's dry to avoid corrosion (as the graph shows).
A know some RC helicopters flyers who keep their Li-Po batteries refrigerated in an airtight container.

But otherwise I agree.

That graph isn't for the same chemistry. Model S batteries are much more temperature tolerant. They can handle 60 degrees C no problem.

Cold causes the car to use much more energy, resulting in more cycles and therefore shorter lifetime. I can easily average 30% more power usage in the winter months.

Back on topic please...

Norway is a small (though very important :smile:) market compared with the U.S & China though...I'd imagine the saturation point of these two behemoths to be well down the road (especially as there are many who haven't even heard the Tesla name in conjunction with electric vehicles...). I think that with the new "D" Model, Tesla is in a better position (better vehicle) to start attacking the domestic U.S. luxury performance marketplace...who knows, we may even see some (wait for it) " print media advertising" ...:scared:

The two largest luxury car markets in the world are the US and China. While Tesla hasn't entered all internation markets yet, some of the markets they have entered are approaching saturation. Norway is one example. For a period when the Model S was introduced, we were the biggest market after the US, but that has changed. In In Q4 2013, 1178 Model S were delivered, in Q1 2014, 2056 Model S were delivered, while in Q4 2014, 505 Model S were delivered. The numbers appear to have settled at a plateau of around 500-1000 Model S deliveries per quarter.

IMHO, Tesla is in a pattern of constantly introducing the Model S in new markets, and when the initial pent-up demand is met, they introduce the Model S somewhere else. This can't continue. Now there aren't very many significant markets left to introduce the Model S. This will be compensated for with the "D" in the short term, but in a few months most of the initial demand for the D will be met, and Tesla will need something new if they want to continue expanding. That something new can only be the Model X.

Elon had a Q&A session at the owner's event at NAIAS tonight. He didn't mention much that we didn't already know, but reiterated the following things.

Shipping the Model X is their focus for this year.
There will be a big reveal event for the Model X (but didn't give any hints when).
The price will be comparable to the Model S. I still interpret this to mean there will be a similar starting price (to the theoretical 60D), with a maximum comparable to a loaded P85D.
There are lots of cool new features that haven't been revealed yet.

Comparable pricing, better autopilot, rumors of in-cabin ski storage from Germany Q&A... at this point I won't be surprised if Tesla alleviates all the fears I had about the X and makes me regret ordering the S last month. Very excited for the reveal.

The brief, shady appearance of a very different model X on here a few days ago that was very quickly spotted and acted upon by Tesla suggests to me that if not a beta, what we saw was close.

Difficult to say, because it was only part of a CAD diagram.

Where did this CAD drawing come from? Are you saying someone posted it here and Tesla sent TMC and cease & desist/takedown notice?

Could you clarify if the factory guide was talking about the overall car assembly line that was upgraded this summer, or about body in white line that was supposed to be constructed in Q1 2015?

Thanks

She said the Model X will be built on the same production line as Model S, which we already know, and then made the comment I paraphrased. I'll have to stop by the store again or call her to ask exactly what she meant. She did clearly state that we would be invited to the factory to see the Model X and choose options, etc. That was made clear, so I guess sales has been told this already. She also complained they usually keep sales out of the loop on what's coming next product-wise... (which makes sense since they interface with customers and need to sell what they already have to stay in business)