Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Model S Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why this is so different than the Roadster. I didn't have to do anything; Tesla took care of all the legwork for me. I guess I'll find out more when I talk to Chris @Tesla later this week ...

Will also keep you guys updated- after taking delivery of car at end of august, i now have paperwork (yes, including a check signed for ma taxes) that is said to be all the requisite material for registering. meanwhile, i have driven the car with the tiny temporary california registration slip in the trunk. so far, i've never been pulled over (and driving a fair bit in city and between ma and ct), and only had one office take a look at the slip when they pulled up behind me in ap arking lot. they were way more interested in the car than the lack of plates. i'm going to rmv friday, so will let you know anything that comes up.

Will also keep you guys updated- after taking delivery of car at end of august, i now have paperwork (yes, including a check signed for ma taxes) that is said to be all the requisite material for registering. meanwhile, i have driven the car with the tiny temporary california registration slip in the trunk. so far, i've never been pulled over (and driving a fair bit in city and between ma and ct), and only had one office take a look at the slip when they pulled up behind me in ap arking lot. they were way more interested in the car than the lack of plates. i'm going to rmv friday, so will let you know anything that comes up.

Troy - I missed you at the Natick event, but happened to park next to your (Sweet Silver) Model S that night - first and only Model S that I have seen in The Wild. Seeing your car next to mine (2001 Volvo V40) was a study in contrasts and a direct look into my future. The point: I'd rather be in a Model S that had registration issues than in my Volvo, which has car issues.

And thanks to all of you who are now working to iron-out this process. Am I to understand that, in the end, sales tax is paid to MA or CA? I can not quite figure it out from the thread above. What check is Tesla providing?

From what I'm reading, it sounds like we pay 6.25% as part of the transaction to Tesla. Tesla's then cutting a check in that amount to give to the registry. Which is different than how I took delivery of the Roadster. I handed a personal check to my sales rep who then used it to take care of everything. Maybe I can suggest that as a way to improve the process ... we'll see. I still don't have my paperwork to sign nor have I transferred the final balance (and the car is due tomorrow or Friday).

I may be that while they are in negotiation with the dealership laws, they have to tread lightly and not do anything that would construe them to be acting as a dealer. I would think that this process will be better as the issues get resolved.

I may be that while they are in negotiation with the dealership laws, they have to tread lightly and not do anything that would construe them to be acting as a dealer. I would think that this process will be better as the issues get resolved.

I have to agree. Officially Tesla can not sell you a car in MA. Legally that would mean that no Tesla employee can act in sales matters, including going to the registry.
Many dealers however use independent agents (approx. $70 a run) to take care of the registry paperwork, RMV-1, etc....
As long as Tesla provides a Cert. of origin and proof that the sales tax has been paid, we should be ok and I am willing to put in the time at the registry.
Still awaiting clarification from Tesla....

glad to give you a sneak peek! Here's all the paperwork i got recently:

application rmv-1
bill of sale, mco, and registration & sales tax check filled out for Mass DOT.
agree with speculation about this being an MA thing- fairly certain ca deliveries had everything taken care of up front, for example.

Troy - I missed you at the Natick event, but happened to park next to your (Sweet Silver) Model S that night - first and only Model S that I have seen in The Wild. Seeing your car next to mine (2001 Volvo V40) was a study in contrasts and a direct look into my future. The point: I'd rather be in a Model S that had registration issues than in my Volvo, which has car issues.

And thanks to all of you who are now working to iron-out this process. Am I to understand that, in the end, sales tax is paid to MA or CA? I can not quite figure it out from the thread above. What check is Tesla providing?

Are you calling me excessive? :smile:

Wait until you see the excessive thing I have in store for delivery and post-delivery!

I am definitely calling you excessive! (in the best sense of the word). Just keep your excessive surprise a little less pointy in the sky thingy umm... you know like the super charger announcement.

I hope they went over your Model S with fine-toothed comb to make it perfect given your wait. I wouldn't blame them for wanting to make yours perfect because of how public you are with TM experiences and maybe to make up for your hiccups with the roadster.

I am definitely calling you excessive! (in the best sense of the word). Just keep your excessive surprise a little less pointy in the sky thingy umm... you know like the super charger announcement.

I hope they went over your Model S with fine-toothed comb to make it perfect given your wait. I wouldn't blame them for wanting to make yours perfect because of how public you are with TM experiences and maybe to make up for your hiccups with the roadster.

Assuming you didn't see it -- my announcement is the live streaming (which I posted in another thread in the Model S delivery section).

I just talked to my insurance company regarding Tesla collecting MA sales tax, registration and title fees and they thought this should not be an issue.
The registry should have no problems accepting a third party out of state company check.
Like you guys confirmed. Once Tesla sends the Manufacturers Cert. of Origin, the bill of sale, and a check to the MassDOT, the insurance agent can issue the RMV-1 (also need VIN# of course) and it's off to the Registry for plates, etc.
Cheers.

Now all I need is the car...

I just talked to my insurance company regarding Tesla collecting MA sales tax, registration and title fees and they thought this should not be an issue.
The registry should have no problems accepting a third party out of state company check.
Like you guys confirmed. Once Tesla sends the Manufacturers Cert. of Origin, the bill of sale, and a check to the MassDOT, the insurance agent can issue the RMV-1 (also need VIN# of course) and it's off to the Registry for plates, etc.
Cheers.

Now all I need is the car...

I get my car tomorrow. Went through these details this evening, and this sounds right. Once I actually go through the process at the RMV, I'll post the gory details.

I get my car tomorrow. Went through these details this evening, and this sounds right. Once I actually go through the process at the RMV, I'll post the gory details.

Great!
Looking forward to your delivery impressions! We already know the car will be amazing :).
I was told deliveries are running somewhat on the later side, so they probably will not be able to meet my 19th delivery date. Thats ok...

well round 1 was a bust. hilariously, my car has been insured for *too long* apparently before registration. this is odd- the rmv form clearly asks for the policy effective/change date... so i guess now i need to ask my insurance company to manufacture a more recent date. ::rolls eyes:: oh well. atleast they told me that at front desk instead of making me wait through line... i guess? sorry to not have more useful info for you guys!