Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New England Model S Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.
I am also currently in discussion with Chris (of Tesla) on the exact registration process.
At this point my understanding is that I will send a check to Tesla in CA for the total amount including MA sales tax, title and registration fees.
They will send a package in return with Certificate of Origin, a check for the Registry (I assume), sales receipt, etc.
Once I have the VIN # (should be next week), my insurance company will email me the RMV-1 also need for registration. I am supposed to go down to the registry myself.
One point I have raised and am still awaiting an answer to, is who will pay the MA sales tax. If I have to go the the Registry myself then I should cut the check, not Tesla. Should have an answer on that Monday.
Lastly, I am concerned about the inspection sticker. The typical garages which do stickers around here can not be trusted. I have one other nice car which I usually take to the dealer....only slightly better than local garage:)
Will keep you guys posted.
Willem

ShortArc, regarding the MA inspection sticker, you might try calling a Nissan dealer near you, that is "Leaf" certified, as they have experience with getting inspection stickers in MA on an all electric car, maybe they could even do the inspection for you.

I think eventually when the service center opens in Watertown, they will be able to get the inspections done onsite.

also if you are going to the RMV then you should plan on paying the sales tax, I don't see how they would accept a check from a third party for this from you.

Maybe Cinergi can comment on how it worked when he bought his roadster (registration and paying MA sales tax)

Last edited:
MA inspection should be easy. I did it twice with the Roadster at two different places and it was no issue -- just tell them it's an electric car. They have a button of sorts on the computer for EVs and it'll guide them with what they need to do. They were never confused.

ShortArc -- what's your sequence number?

My Sequence #: 1116.
Thanks for the MA inspection sticker advice.
I have had bad experiences in my town where the moron "mechanic" wasn't carful and damaged my mirror etc. Anyway, I think I will just go to a dealer, at least they have larger inspection bays.
Re Sales Tax: I agree, if I have to go to the RMV then I will write the check. Let's see what Tesla says on Mon.
Cheers.

Forgive me if I have weak details, but my understanding is that Somehow the car was delivered to MA without the title. Further, none of us want to pay tax to both CA and MA, and the car is bought in CA so that is where the tax goes. But in order to bypass paying tax at the time of registration in MA ( as you would usually do), you need proof you paid tax to The Terminator (CA), and a bill of sale is apparently insufficient. Tesla is evidently providing some additional proof. Vagosites here not helpful but clearly sounds like a real hassle. Please PM me if you are expecting delivery within 2 weeks and I'll try and get more info. Meantime, please chime in about what you know about the challenges of delivery in MA.
you don't have to pay ca tax if the vehicle leaves he state by common carrier.

I'm the owner of S176 that arrived in Concord last Monday. It was a bit of an odyssey for the first week, as I relayed to ModelS1079, but it ended well. Quick synopsis:

- I paid for the car in full, including MA sales tax, during week of September 21st.
- Car put on truck in CA Friday 28th, destined for pre-delivery prep in Long Island
- Tesla called on Monday 3rd to say that, because they are not yet a licensed dealer in MA, they cannot "sell" the car to me in-state, and instead it must be recorded as an out-of-state purchase, and shipped direct. Truck was redirected to my house and car dropped off Monday.
- I was met by a Tesla rep at the house after delivery. He went over the car, and gave me a CA "New Vehicle Purchaser's Temporary Operating Copy," which he said would allow me to drive the car, but not title. Mass RMV and insurance agents later confirm that car cannot be insured or registered without title. Moreover, Mass RMV said they would need further proof of payment of MA sales tax, along with Tesla's Mass DOR number, in order to waive sales tax payment at registration.
- After some back and forth, Tesla sales-admin team got on the problem. Title arrived on Friday 5th, together with a revised copy of MVPA stamped "paid." They could not track down Tesla's Mass DOR number before close-of-business Friday but I decided to try my luck at registry. I went to the Wilmington RMV, which is reputed to be among the more progressive branches. There, Deanna was extremely helpful. She was able to go into her database to confirm that MA has a "reciprocal arrangement" with Tesla, and after some additional checks was able to confirm that sales tax was already paid.
- S176 now enjoying her first road trip in NH.

Note that Tesla rep confirmed that they will come to house to finish pre-delivery items, including attachment of front plate holder, repair of a small scratch on door, and detailing (car was dusty from truck). Will hold off going for inspection until front plate holder attached.

pgfxoc, wow you're so close to taking that first spin it must be hard to wait! I'd be going stir crazy. Although not a Model S reservation holder (waiting on GenIII) its very cool to read the forum posts from everyone in MA now that deliveries are ramping up. Good luck!

I'm the owner of S176 that arrived in Concord last Monday. It was a bit of an odyssey for the first week, as I relayed to ModelS1079, but it ended well. Quick synopsis:

- I paid for the car in full, including MA sales tax, during week of September 21st.
- Car put on truck in CA Friday 28th, destined for pre-delivery prep in Long Island
- Tesla called on Monday 3rd to say that, because they are not yet a licensed dealer in MA, they cannot "sell" the car to me in-state, and instead it must be recorded as an out-of-state purchase, and shipped direct. Truck was redirected to my house and car dropped off Monday.
- I was met by a Tesla rep at the house after delivery. He went over the car, and gave me a CA "New Vehicle Purchaser's Temporary Operating Copy," which he said would allow me to drive the car, but not title. Mass RMV and insurance agents later confirm that car cannot be insured or registered without title. Moreover, Mass RMV said they would need further proof of payment of MA sales tax, along with Tesla's Mass DOR number, in order to waive sales tax payment at registration.
- After some back and forth, Tesla sales-admin team got on the problem. Title arrived on Friday 5th, together with a revised copy of MVPA stamped "paid." They could not track down Tesla's Mass DOR number before close-of-business Friday but I decided to try my luck at registry. I went to the Wilmington RMV, which is reputed to be among the more progressive branches. There, Deanna was extremely helpful. She was able to go into her database to confirm that MA has a "reciprocal arrangement" with Tesla, and after some additional checks was able to confirm that sales tax was already paid.
- S176 now enjoying her first road trip in NH.

Note that Tesla rep confirmed that they will come to house to finish pre-delivery items, including attachment of front plate holder, repair of a small scratch on door, and detailing (car was dusty from truck). Will hold off going for inspection until front plate holder attached.

Congrats pgjfxoc and welcome to the forum!
You're about 2 months ahead of me, thanks for paving the way...

I'm the owner of S176 that arrived in Concord last Monday. It was a bit of an odyssey for the first week, as I relayed to ModelS1079, but it ended well. Quick synopsis...

...S176 now enjoying her first road trip in NH.

That is so great. Bravo, neighbor. Enjoy. How about a pic for us all of that red hot Black Tesla in the fall foliage to make us all green with envy? Think I'll send flowers in advance to Deanna at the RMV now...

Congrats, when is the expected delivery date???

Not sure yet. Tesla is preparing the MVPA, which should have the estimate. I was P4229 but have been sitting on the email for a few weeks. Today just felt right for some reason, so now its done. I am realistically thinking Feb. Totaled my first Prius at 185k and my current prius has 140k.... with all the co-worker hazing and bullying on the highways, I am overdue for a little Tesla pampering.

In case you're not following the main thread -- mine is due to arrive this Thursday or Friday.

cinergi: Did you end up paying MA sales tax, Title and Registration fees to Tesla? Are they sending you a Certificate of Origin to register the car and apply for title?

I still have not gotten a call back by Tesla how this whole thing is going to be handled...not good.
Leaving on business end of the week and was going to mail them a check but they don't seem to be in a hurry to receive it.

Cheers.

cinergi: Did you end up paying MA sales tax, Title and Registration fees to Tesla? Are they sending you a Certificate of Origin to register the car and apply for title?

I still have not gotten a call back by Tesla how this whole thing is going to be handled...not good.
Leaving on business end of the week and was going to mail them a check but they don't seem to be in a hurry to receive it.

Cheers.

I have *NO* idea. I haven't received a lick of paperwork yet. I'll let this thread know as soon as I do ...

- - - Updated - - -

Saturday party, Ben?

Plan A fell through. I'm gonna spend some time figuring out a Plan B tonight/tomorrow ...

I have *NO* idea. I haven't received a lick of paperwork yet. I'll let this thread know as soon as I do ...

I just heard back from Matt (another fellow at Tesla) and they need me to register the car. One point I am still not happy about is that Tesla wants to collect sales tax, registration and title fees. This means I will be standing in line at the registry with an out of state third party check?!?! Hmmm.
Also, according to Matt, once the funds are received, they will be sending me a "Manufacturer's Statement of Origin", (MSO). I assume this is the same as the Cert./Title of Origin and will allow my go apply for my title? They did not address the Inspection Sticker yet. I requested a call back to discuss...