Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Insight...Model 3 vs id4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mach-e is a *sugar* show, genuine nope son that, dont believe me, go look at the mach-e forums.

ID4 uses similar LG Chem large format pouch cells to the Bolt but European made, only 1 has caught fire unexpectedly I think and theres no info on that (well that was an ID3 I think).

Its a decent car though and they are unlikely to have a battery problem

I saw an ID4 up close live for the first time yesterday. The build quality and materials are miles above tesla, no question about this. It was a joy to sit in and just touch things. Being built in Germany of course there are no panel gaps/misalignment issues.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the exterior, not a big fan of the overall look/shape. I still have high hopes for the Q4 e-tron.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
Efficiency is an odd one, its one part of the EV experience.

So long as you can do you're local driving fine and road trips work its not such a big issue.

Road trips working depend on range plus charge speed/capacity and availability of good charging

The hugely inefficient etron 55 isnt actually a bad road trip car if you have well placed 15kw chargers etc.

Efficiency is an odd one, its one part of the EV experience.

So long as you can do you're local driving fine and road trips work its not such a big issue.

Road trips working depend on range plus charge speed/capacity and availability of good charging

The hugely inefficient etron 55 isnt actually a bad road trip car if you have well placed 15kw chargers etc.
… and you don’t mind paying up to twice as much per mile.

SR+ is probably the best bang for your buck EV out right now. Only problem with the SR+ is it is rear drive but doesn't look like you ever drive in snow so that isn't a issue. Also lack of the premium sound system. It is also the most efficient EV right now. Not a fan of the ID 4 but that is personal taste. Haven't heard anything bad about it.
Rear drive is not necessarily a handicap in the snow. The myth that FWD cars are better in the snow is because the majority of the weight is on the driving wheels. This gives better motive traction but they still turn and stop for crap. The M3 SR+ probably has good weight distribution which will help the driving in snow. The smaller battery gives more leeway in placement. Since there is no ICE or electric motor up front I'm guessing it could have a slight rearward bias. Does anyone know what the weight distribution actually is?

I once owned a '67 beetle shod with new but cheap bias ply tires common to the era. It would easily go through snow as deep as it had ground clearance for. A '67 beetle was not FWD. If you are really concerned about winter driving you should have a set of dedicated winter tires anyway. I had a set of Haaka's for my last car. It was unstoppable.

An AWD configuration will give better motive traction and help with stability but will not brake any better.

I'm not sure what you mean by premium sound. Mine has the premium speakers but not the external amp with the additional subwoofer. My son's "Y" has that. I think the M3 SR+ has a pretty adequate sound system just the same.

The model 3 SR+ is 142 MPGE. Nothing else is close. Even the model Y AWD LR is 125 MPGE. A bigger and substantially heavier car.
If it's efficiency you want put in a reservation for an Aptera, I've already done that. Aptera's will get 10 miles/KWh which gives them incredible range. They hope to start shipping by the end of the year but I think that's impossible, I'm hoping for mid 2022. It's a two passenger three wheel vehicle that looks like George Jetson's car, actually an earlier iteration was used in a Star Trek movie so either way 60s SciFi. Clearly not a family car and it will lack a lot of the features of a Tesla but it makes up for it with extreme range, I've reserved the 600 mile AWD variant with autopilot and enhanced audio for $39K. What makes them cheap is that the effeciency allows them to use a much smaller battery, they start at 250 miles of range with a 25KWh usable battery and go up to 1000 miles of range with a 100KWh usable battery (I don't believe they will produce that version but I could be wrong).

If it's efficiency you want put in a reservation for an Aptera, I've already done that. Aptera's will get 10 miles/KWh which gives them incredible range. They hope to start shipping by the end of the year but I think that's impossible, I'm hoping for mid 2022. It's a two passenger three wheel vehicle that looks like George Jetson's car, actually an earlier iteration was used in a Star Trek movie so either way 60s SciFi. Clearly not a family car and it will lack a lot of the features of a Tesla but it makes up for it with extreme range, I've reserved the 600 mile AWD variant with autopilot and enhanced audio for $39K. What makes them cheap is that the effeciency allows them to use a much smaller battery, they start at 250 miles of range with a 25KWh usable battery and go up to 1000 miles of range with a 100KWh usable battery (I don't believe they will produce that version but I could be wrong).
Yup, I'm familiar with the Aptera. An acquaintance has put an order in for one. I saw a You Tube video about them that included comment from Sandy Munro.

They say that the Aptera has less wind resistance than just the outside mirrors on a Ford F-250! Not surprising. Even the best designed mirrors are a thorn in the side of aerodynamicists. Cameras would be a lot better but until the Feds catch up with technology...