Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for insight with M3P driving characteristics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although your previous descriptions definitely indicate a problem, 5 seconds isn’t entirely unbelievable with a dead, frozen battery and rando all-seasons.

Check the error page in Service Mode for hints.
If anything, all season tyres will offer more traction in the cold temperatures OP is reporting.
Back when I got my M3P I did some acceleration runs at various SoCs. At the time, I had winter tyres on the car, temp was around 43F and the road was damp, so slippy conditions for most cars.
The slowest 0-60mph time I recorded all day was 5.67 secs. But that was with 10% SoC which is to be expected.
My times at 43% SoC were 3.6-3.8 secs.
My fastest was 3.33 at 78% SoC.
All times with no roll out, BTW.
OP's battery would have to be very cold to limit power that much.
CSV file will show temperatures, SoC, power etc. so we'll be able to see anything obviously wrong in there.

Yes its sport mode in steering and acceleration. I tried some runs in track mode as well with the same results
Just test it like this:

Go charge on a Supercharger to 85-90% or so (100% is also ok).

This will guarantee your battery is warm enough to perform.

Then go for one or a couple of 0-60 mph tests. (Make sure ”sport” is selected, to becreaaly sure set first chill and then back to sport again).
It should perform like this:

I'll get the CSV file tomorrow. Did the reboot when we got home. Just too late and dark here to do a run. Looks like I need to create the file in the flash drive then should be good to go.

I read that thread that was posted last night and it doesnt make sense that the performance of the performance model would fall off and the long range outperform it. But if that happens to be the case we might end up switching to the long range which seems just totally backwards to me.
How did you get on with the TM .CSV file?

How did you get on with the TM .CSV file?
What do you mean? The car had a USB drive in it so I put it in my laptop and created the file TeslaTrackMode inside of it. At least thats what Teslas website said to do. Then click save dashcam in the car in track mode. Is there something else I need to do?

I had to work late last night and then we had to head to another town in our SUV to pickup some larger presents that were ready. Parents heat went out and it was 9 by the time we were home. Got it all set up but the car only had 30% charge and we live in the country. When its dark I just dont like driving the car hard so I have to make the run after work today.

I have the car set to charge off peak and be ready at 6am because its only $.07 per kw. Wife did alot of running in it yesterday. Am I good to go with how I'm set up for the log of data? Just click save the dashcam in track mode and make some runs?

What do you mean? The car had a USB drive in it so I put it in my laptop and created the file TeslaTrackMode inside of it. At least thats what Teslas website said to do. Then click save dashcam in the car in track mode. Is there something else I need to do?

I had to work late last night and then we had to head to another town in our SUV to pickup some larger presents that were ready. Parents heat went out and it was 9 by the time we were home. Got it all set up but the car only had 30% charge and we live in the country. When its dark I just dont like driving the car hard so I have to make the run after work today.

I have the car set to charge off peak and be ready at 6am because its only $.07 per kw. Wife did alot of running in it yesterday. Am I good to go with how I'm set up for the log of data? Just click save the dashcam in track mode and make some runs?
When you go into track mode, set a finish line (doesn't matter where as you won't be timing laps) then press START and that will start logging the data. Do a couple of 0-60 runs and then press STOP.
That will create the .CSV file in the TeslaTrackMode folder. It will also save a .mp4 file if chose to save video too.
Copy that off the drive and post it here (or to a dropbox so it can be downloaded). The mp4 could be useful too if you want to post it but the .CSV will be enough to get an idea what's going on.

Last edited:
When you go into track mode, set a finish line (doesn't matter where as you won't be timing laps) then press START and that will start logging the data. Do a couple of 0-60 runs and then press STOP.
That will create the .CSV file in the TeslaTrackMode folder.
Copy that off the drive and post it here (or to a dropbox so it can be downloaded).
Alright sounds good post it up once I make the runs. So this data will show 0-60 time?

Alright sounds good post it up once I make the runs. So this data will show 0-60 time?
It can but you need to cross the finish point you set in order to start the timer.
So what I suggest is you set the finish point just in front of the car and press START.
Then drive over the finish point slowly to start the timer and come to a complete stop again.
Wait a few seconds and then launch it however many times you want to do a 0-60 along that road.
Then press STOP to stop it timing.
The display isn't going to show you 0-60 times though. We can calculate those from the data in the file. You'll just see the timer on screen counting up the elapsed time, because it's designed for lap timing not straight line timing.
More importantly, the CSV file will show us power delivery, battery temp., charge and other useful data which might give us a clue as to what's happening.
Take note of the outside temperature as well and road conditions (dry, damp, frosty etc.)

It can but you need to cross the finish point you set in order to start the timer.
So what I suggest is you set the finish point just in front of the car and press START.
Then drive over the finish point slowly to start the timer and come to a complete stop again.
Wait a few seconds and then launch it however many times you want to do a 0-60 along that road.
The display isn't going to show you 0-60 times though. We can calculate those from the data in the file. You'll just see the timer on screen counting up the elapsed time, because it's designed for lap timing not straight line timing.
More importantly, the CSV file will show us power delivery, battery temp., charge and other useful data which might give us a clue as to what's happening.
Take note of the outside temperature as well and road conditions (dry, damp, frosty etc.)
Alright appreciate the help here with this. Ill be back with the file later today

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
You should certainly be expecting sub-4 times unless the battery is truly frigid(well below freezing) and/or the battery is below 30%.
I just tried it with my dragy on Stacy's Mom, a ghosted 2018 model 3 with about 66k miles on it.

At 50% charge and a cold-soaked 37F battery, with winter tires on a cold track in 'Mexico', I got a 0-60 of 3.83s. I was a little surprised it was that slow.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
I just did 2 runs up to 100 with a 50% battery and 40F temperature outside dry conditions. I have to get home to my laptop to upload the file though. I can say once you get to the 100mph area the car feels pretty sluggish like its working really hard to keep going

That looks normal-ish. I pulled some of my autox Test-n-Tune logs where I launched with a similar SOC late in the day. Your 0-40mph times looks very similar to mine (done in August) measuring from the time the speed moves off zero.

However, in your log it takes like ~0.5-0.8sec for throttle to ramp up from 0 to close to 100%. In mine it takes like 0.2sec. It's possible you're not stabbing the throttle pedal. But if you are, there may be something up with the throttle position sensor.

All completely normal from what I can see.
1st run 0-60 in 3.78, 2nd run in 3.78
1st run 0-100 10.48, 2nd run 10.64
Your SoC went from 49.9%-47.2% so you used 2.7%. Not sure where you got 4% from?
Your battery temp. is only 30-43% from start to end.

If you can get the battery warmer by supercharging or doing more driving before the runs and have at least 90% SoC you'll see how it affects performance.
Over 80% I can get 0-60 in 3.3 and 0-100 in 8.5 with winter tyres in cold, damp conditions. But with a warm battery.
It's the same as an ICE car. You have to warm the engine before it will deliver the performance you expect.
Mashing the throttle harder won't make a huge difference to your overall times TBH, but yes you could be faster to get to 100% and it may knock a 1/10th off maybe.

I'll post some graphs a bit later which might help more.

Last edited:
So the answer to the mystery is... "There is no mystery, your car is fine"? I have a hard time understanding that.

How could he drive a Model 3 LR and it seem to accelerate much faster?

Is it really just an issue of throttle sensitivity and not actual acceleration? Something doesn't seem right here.

So the answer to the mystery is... "There is no mystery, your car is fine"? I have a hard time understanding that.

How could he drive a Model 3 LR and it seem to accelerate much faster?

Is it really just an issue of throttle sensitivity and not actual acceleration? Something doesn't seem right here.
It's right because we're now using data and objectivity to measure what's going on. Up to this point we didn't have all the data and we had a subjective view that one was faster than the other.
The data shows it's performing just as we'd expect it to in those conditions.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Some graphs to help visualise what goes on.
A run I did in my M3P a while ago and the first run @gsxracer0783 did from his file.
I could only dig out a 0-80mph run for me so bear in mind the x-axis won't compare directly between the bottom two graphs, but it shows how the power starts to drop after approx. 50mph, which is normal.
I also snipped 0-30 for both just to show more detail from the initial launch.
I've multiplied the value of long. accel. just to make it more readable.
Hope these help explain that SoC and temperatures are the key to optimal power delivery. There's plenty of other threads about this on here over the years which explain this in more detail.

GSXRACER 0-30_1.jpg

DF0-30.jpg

GSXRACER 0-100_1.jpg

DF0-80.jpg