Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Suggestions for Improvement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LouCiro

Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2024
USA
We have purchased three model x teslas. Two are 2018 units and one is a 2024. We love the cars they have been remarkably problem free.
New tires and a new 12 volt battery serviced by Tesla were our only issues in 6 years. We have some suggestions for improvement on the 2024 model.
We find we are taking our eyes off the road to locate the turn signal buttons on the steering wheel. This was not necessary with the older model since they had levers. Not sure how to make this a more tactile function.
Our second suggestion relates to what gear we are in. Have confused forward and reverse and park a few times. A large visual indicator on the screen for a short interval would make gear selection more positive. We suggest an audible indication for reverse as well.
Our last suggestion is to reduce the available rate of acceleration in reverse gear. We find it too fast and slowing the response down would improve safety.
Again , greatest car we have ever owned.
Thanks,
Lou

Reactions: Stevewaclo
I agree 100% with your suggestion that reverse acceleration needs to be seriously dialed back.
While I have long suspected our 2020 M3LR accelerates too aggressively in reverse, I finally made an opportunity to do an experiment in a controlled environment today and confirmed my suspicions. A firm push on the accelerator while in reverse causes the car to do a backwards hole shot worthy of my experience at Top Gun Raceway in Fallon, NV last summer (12.2@118 btw :). Unless someone can convince me there is ever a need to back up that fast from a stop (no .001% edge cases, please) I believe a software update is in order. No doubt, very smart people at Tesla considered such a modification during development, and obviously rejected the concept, I am formally casting my vote for reconsideration!

For the turn signal indicators, I’d like to see a raised dot on top and two raised dots on the bottom turn indicators, allowing one to find them much easier. Should be very expensive to switch them out.

Also an option that allows your tesla to wink or give some sort of acknowledgment when passing another Tesla, stupid maybe, but I honestly think people would use it.

We have had our MDX 2024 for 2 months now and I absolutely love the car. More so than I was expecting and in ways I was unaware of…

However this thread is about suggestions for improvement:
No. 1 Tactile bumps on turn indicator, allowing you to feel the indicator.
No. 2 Please Please give the frunk a mechanized closing feature. (Having to use two hands to close the frunk is truly ridiculous on a $90K+ vehicle made in 2024)
No. 3 Driver door has too much of a lag. I push on the door handle, it opens and takes at least 2 seconds for the motor to release, this is super inconvenient.
No. 4 Hatch/lid in the trunk that covers the sub trunk space. A better latch system allowing it to pivot open for throwing things down in there without totally removing the lid. Inevitably when I try to open it partially, the lid falls down into the sub trunk, this could be rectified with 2 pins in the lid and two brackets on the car.
No. 5 Front camera for parking / I believe this is already rectified in the newest +04/01/24 MDX. My understanding is that the wiring was put in but not the camera until just recently. Having a notice go out to cars with the wiring allowing an upgrade option for the camera add on would be amazing. I feel anyone paying this kind of money wouldn’t hesitate to have this done.

I would also add:

1) Have the "keep" and Dog Mode function for the A/C or heat, pop up right on the main screen when you shut the car off, so that you don't have to many multiple selections to find and select it

2)Allow us to customize route path (or modify it) while using navigation so that auto pilot does not choose roads (on your familiar paths) that it should not take.

3) Allow us to default set the rear A/C to come on each time we enter the car. I have a dog and I have to constantly turn it on, if he walks in and lays on the floor.

4)Show both Battery % and range at the same time. There is plenty of room for this. In my M3 at least I can toggle by touching it. In the X, you have to go to the settings page. For me the Range is important until I get below 20%. As it gets lower, the % is more important to me. It would be Nice to have both.
5) Auto park feature should be similar to my M3. I think when the car knows you are driving slow and in a parking lot, the main screen should split and show what the M3 does. We don't need such a prominent Navigation screen when you are in a parking lot. Its much easier to select and actually touch a parking spot on M3 then having to use the scroll wheel because the smaller screen on the X in not a touch screen.

6) More screen customization options. Like a short cut bar the is actually at the bottom of the screen. The screen is so big, its a shame that you can't customize it with more short cuts and other features.

7) Have the tilt screen be assigned to a profile so other family members don't have to keep changing it. Also have it straightened out when you leave the car and tilt to custom position when you enter.

I would also like to amend my post to include a different UI for auto park. I own a M3 and MX (both 2023). Autopark (for me at least) is so much easier for me on the M3 because you can see all the spaces and simply select (press on screen) the on you want to park in, followed by touching the screen again to begin the process. Using the scroll wheel on the Model X seems convoluted. Not to mention that pressing the scroll wheel sometimes causes it to tick up or tick down messing everything up. It reminds me of my old Lexus that had a big center screen (within reach), however, you had to use a touch pad on the center console to operate it. Why can't the MX simply do a split screen when below 8MPH and present like the M3 and MY? Do we really need to see a giant map while in a parking spot looking for a space?

Instead of tactile feedback buttons, perhaps the turn signals would be easier to learn if they were on a toggle lever. One switch for both turn signals. I initially put a little clear plastic bump on the steering yoke to teach my thumbs where to go. Recently removed them and now find them fairly intuitive.

Reactions: Restonpieces